You *need* an amazing Chorus effect

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

msnickybee

You *need* an amazing Chorus effect

Post by msnickybee »

We all need a top quality chorus effect. Useful - used very subtly - in so many situations eh?

Much as I love the Acoustica and Classic chorus, here's a top top quality freeware one that I love a little more, it's called "Multiply" https://acondigital.com/products/multiply/
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
Ianpb

Re: You *need* an amazing Chorus effect

Post by Ianpb »

I just tried this with one of my vocal tracks. I found that wide stereo effects were impressive, but when converted to mono it lost a bit of level in the mix, as well as sounding a bit metallic and muddy, likely caused by some phase-cancellation. I agree that this should only be used subtly, but found that the (also free) Blue Cat Chorus plugin produces a far clearer and less metallic effect. I'll likely try it on other material in the future though.
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Ianpb wrote:I just tried this with one of my vocal tracks. I found that wide stereo effects were impressive, but when converted to mono it lost a bit of level in the mix, as well as sounding a bit metallic and muddy, likely caused by some phase-cancellation. I agree that this should only be used subtly, but found that the (also free) Blue Cat Chorus plugin produces a far clearer and less metallic effect. I'll likely try it on other material in the future though.
I agree the Blue Cat stuff is good, I really do.
But the "Dimensioner" presets on guitar overdubs in Multiply are quite lovely too.... :-)
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The trend I have found is that while some chorus effects sound good in solo, but something happens in the mix and you discover as Ian alludes to, there are phase issues. So you have to be careful.

Then theres the ones that just sound horrible period. :roll:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page