That time when you realise you might actually have to spend real *money* on a Plugin?

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

msnickybee

That time when you realise you might actually have to spend real *money* on a Plugin?

Post by msnickybee »

Being a "Yorkshire lass" (I'm from the UK and those from the UK will get this), I have stuck like glue to freeware plugins ;-)

What's your all time number 1??

Between those that magazines (Computer Music etc) give away their own versions of, or really good free ones from Bluecat, KVR, TDR, Klanghelm, Melda, vladg, VoS, Acon, Ignite etc etc etc I think it's possible to manage really well.
** plug for Mixcraft Pro Studio, which I have always had *
Some of the ones I want (like Bittersweet, Softube and many others) require you to install their entire (500Mb) suite and activate the free ones (looking at you Softube). Grrrr. I hate that (well, mildly dislike, no actually I *do* hate that).

Metering is a tricky one. There are free ones, but none I like. The Melda ones are a bit ugly. I *love* everything Toneboosters do, but... 19.99 each....

So, I'll continue. Music on the cheap, because, like an article I read recently in Sound on Sound, it might actually have been one of the editors - he talked about how he had the most marvellous (been watching Warren Huart too much) home studio, with wonderful gear, but all his recordings amounted to "tests" of new gear he'd just bought.....so, a good mic and preamp aside, it's not about the gear is it?
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
aj113

Re: That time when you realise you might actually have to spend real *money* on a Plugin?

Post by aj113 »

msnickybee wrote:...so, a good mic and preamp aside, it's not about the gear is it?
I wouldn't even exclude the mic and preamp. Mics capture sound and preamps just amplify their signal, that's all they do. Neither are not going to make you sing in tune or in time. As long as your mic isn't a basket case you should be good to go.
AHornsby

Re: That time when you realise you might actually have to spend real *money* on a Plugin?

Post by AHornsby »

It's only fair. If gear fits the intended purpose then why not? (We bought Mixcraft, right?)

The key I suppose is not to expect too much when it comes to plugins which explains why the try-before-you-buy option is always a welcome feature. OTOH the 'free' ones are often suspiciously bent to some other latent activity, e.g., key stroke monitoring, and no matter how good they appear to be, there's always that subconscious expectation of failure at some point.

I could get used to a donation with open source business model and this is one industry ripe for it. -h
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

AHornsby wrote:I could get used to a donation with open source business model and this is one industry ripe for it. -h
I think you're going to be seeing the end of high priced plugins pretty soon. Tech is such that someone can produce just as good as a name product in their spare time. Look at some of the pricing of high end ones, they have sales all the time for $29 down from $299, it won't be long before people catch on and go even more with the free and low cost products. Plus, I think that tech is such that we've almost mastered the ability to make whatever plugin that's desired. For instance, will some of the high end plugins be obsolete in 20 years because of new tech? No, it'll look different and have some differences but the nuts and bolts won't be much different.

Just my $.02

M
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

I'm in the position now. Watching Daryl's House today, where he's showcasing a new album, he was using a 'delicious' sounding delay. Who knows if its soft or hard ware. But anything that comes remotely close I might be motivated to part with some $$. I'll have to check KVR Audio first.

One characteristic of that delay they used that I focused on, was how 'soft' the feedback was. Almost as if they had a way to shape the envelope for it. It was just a beautiful sounding delay.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Rolling Estonian wrote: I think you're going to be seeing the end of high priced plugins pretty soon.
I have many times stated in the comments section of reviews on Youtube and elsewhere that high prices for plugins and other software is a poor marketing strategy. It's not like a car that requires an expensive production process after the design. Once the coding is compiled, it's just a matter of a couple of mouse clicks to duplicate, so improved economies of scale are easily introduced. If the prices were at a more affordable level, far more legitimate units would be sold, thus increasing revenue, while the drive to download pirated software, together with the inherent virus risks, would become diminished.
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

CRAZY6STRINGS wrote:One characteristic of that delay they used that I focused on, was how 'soft' the feedback was. Almost as if they had a way to shape the envelope for it.
Maybe a delay on Send track, heavily EQ'd? Dynamic EQ? Multiband compression? Transient designer? Multiple delays? Delay combined with reverb? Certainly worth a go. I'm going to try it now!!
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

Thank you for the suggestion. But I figured it out. Its simply a reverb. But, one you can adjust the reflections. One 'Free" reverb that has that parameter is Glaceverb.

Also..............Acoustic Pro Reverb in Mixcraft Pro, has the parameter too...its called "Predelay." Its really a nice effect when you don't want to harsh of an echo...

Thanks again.