Youlean Loudness Meter - FREE Plugin

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Youlean

Youlean Loudness Meter - FREE Plugin

Post by Youlean »

Hi guys, I am Youlean and I am the creator of Youlean Loudness Meter.

This is a free loudness meter that supports many international standards, featuring distribution display, histogram, resizable interface and more. This was released as part of KVR Developer challenge, so if you like it you can also vote for it (until 18. December).

If you have any questions, or feature requests for the future versions, please post here.
NOTE - You need to have playback engaged in your DAW in order for meter to work.

macOS/Windows - VST, AU
Download and vote HERE

Vote by clicking on numbers right to the download buttons.
By voting you may get free trip to the NAMM show 2017 (Anaheim, CA, USA)!
Youlean Loudness Meter.jpg
Youlean Loudness Meter.jpg (104.87 KiB) Viewed 16320 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWlweTBHrvM
Last edited by Youlean on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mark Bliss

Re: Youlean Loudness Meter - FREE Plugin

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi!

Personally, I think there's a big gap in what's currently available in a modern metering plug. What is available is often out of date technically, or focuses on some data and some other is left out, or.... is often seriously overpriced IMO.

So I was eager to have a look at what you have created. I have installed it and will be testing it out. :wink:

But to begin with, I would suggest the installer and installation instructions could use a little streamlining. It took several efforts, but I did get it installed. But at this point I have attempted to install both the VST2 and VST3 versions, but only one shows up and its not identified......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Youlean

Post by Youlean »

Mark Bliss wrote:Hi!

Personally, I think there's a big gap in what's currently available in a modern metering plug. What is available is often out of date technically, or focuses on some data and some other is left out, or.... is often seriously overpriced IMO.

So I was eager to have a look at what you have created. I have installed it and will be testing it out. :wink:

But to begin with, I would suggest the installer and installation instructions could use a little streamlining. It took several efforts, but I did get it installed. But at this point I have attempted to install both the VST2 and VST3 versions, but only one shows up and its not identified......
Indeed, all loudness meters are very overpriced, and I was really sick about that, and that's why I ended up making my own. :D

This was really rushed to meet deadline. I had only 2 months, so it is rough around the edges, but I will polish it in the future.
I am really sorry that you have problems installing this plugin. Can you explain better what is the problem. From your text I can not conclude if you got it working or not...
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes, I got it installed and am evaluating.

Installation was just a minor hitch, as many times it is, I was just suggesting that maybe it could be clarified and streamlined.

The only remaining issue is that I attempted to install the VST2 and VST3 version, but only one shows up in Mixcraft, and I am not sure which. Its resizable so I am thinking its VST3.......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Hi,

your program has some professional features I have not seen in freeware yet. Congrats for this alone (but not limited to that).
Such as: being able to look at the past signal history. Some of the pro´s have this, but then if the history is disappearing in too small a window this is not much useful either.
-helmut
C# or Bb!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

This morning I ran some projects with the Youlean running next to another loudness meter, just to compare readings and get a feel. I have to say I like it- it compares favorably.
The true peak and integrated loudness readings matched up, and the other tools are handy too. Good and necessary utility.

Thank you for sharing this, and yes, gotta vote for it in the contest too! Especially since at least half the other entrants cant even clearly describe what their plug in does. :lol:

Hey Acoustica- Talk to this member. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Youlean

Post by Youlean »

Mark Bliss wrote: The only remaining issue is that I attempted to install the VST2 and VST3 version, but only one shows up in Mixcraft, and I am not sure which. Its resizable so I am thinking its VST3.......
I will check this out. VST2 and VST3 should are resizable. Sorry for the problems, this competition had really tight deadline, so there will be couple of bugs, but I will try to fix them as soon as possible!
Youlean

Post by Youlean »

aquataur wrote:Hi,

your program has some professional features I have not seen in freeware yet. Congrats for this alone (but not limited to that).
Such as: being able to look at the past signal history. Some of the pro´s have this, but then if the history is disappearing in too small a window this is not much useful either.
-helmut
Thanks! Future updates will bring even more cool stuff... ;)
Youlean

Post by Youlean »

Mark Bliss wrote:This morning I ran some projects with the Youlean running next to another loudness meter, just to compare readings and get a feel. I have to say I like it- it compares favorably.
The true peak and integrated loudness readings matched up, and the other tools are handy too. Good and necessary utility.

Thank you for sharing this, and yes, gotta vote for it in the contest too! Especially since at least half the other entrants cant even clearly describe what their plug in does. :lol:

Hey Acoustica- Talk to this member. 8)
Thanks for your support!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

If I could suggest a future "upgrade"
I would appreciate some scales such as I use in my current loudness metering- K16 and especially something in the range of K13 perhaps.
While its a minor thing, its handy, as the broadcast standard of -23 just isn't really currently applicable to the reality of most of "our" uses.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Youlean

Post by Youlean »

Mark Bliss wrote:If I could suggest a future "upgrade"
I would appreciate some scales such as I use in my current loudness metering- K16 and especially something in the range of K13 perhaps.
While its a minor thing, its handy, as the broadcast standard of -23 just isn't really currently applicable to the reality of most of "our" uses.
I will think about that, but this is highly unlikely.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

yep, much deserved IMO. Great news! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

I've tried having the meter in my Master FX, but Mixcraft 8 beta falls down and goes boom when I exit.

You're not seeing any trouble with that, Mark?
-Erik
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Erik,

No, I haven't experienced that. I created a project template with multiple virtual instrument tracks assigned to instruments, some audio tracks and some common stuff I use and placed both this and another loudness meter on the main bus for evaluation.
I have opened and closed it a bunch of times, no freezes or lock ups. It loads a little slow because of all the stuff I have going on, and the very first time closing, I got a brief, maybe 10 second "not responding" moment, but other than that (which I accept as common/normal behavior) it has been working fine in that regard.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page