Your review of inexpensive plugins

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Your review of inexpensive plugins

Post by mixyguy2 »

Not that hundreds of $ stuff...what cheapos have you tried and how did it work out? PS: not affiliated with pluginboutigue.com, but they often have sales on stuff for as little as a buck, such as these two:

Hybrid 3: Nothing amazing IMO, but easily worth a buck if you're in the hunt for a soft synth.

Chimera package: not a plugin really, a sample pack of "spooky" sounds, but lumping it in here....got this as I plan to make a Halloween-ish track or 2 for the upcoming holiday. This sucks. Normally sells for $29, don't waste your money. Heck probably don't do it for a buck IMO. You can do as well or better making your own or finding stuff for free online.
Last edited by mixyguy2 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freightgod

Re: Your review of inexpensive plugins

Post by freightgod »

Nice reviews. I agree, Chimera is worthless!
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Thx! PS to avoid confusion I should add there is a soft synth called "Chimera" which is totally unrelated to that sampler package (the syth is both free and good IMO).
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I agree Chimera is shite. However it is made by the Glitch Machines guy and they are a worthwhile project and Cataract is dirt cheap at the minute. Personally I think it is worth the 4 quid instead of the usual 50 https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 3-Cataract
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Well that sound pack is my only experience with them so far, so I'm obviously not about to spend any real money on their stuff. :) But try to keep an open mind.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Waves Bass Rider (currently $29) has been a real winner for me. I no longer have to worry about my playing (as much) because this plug in helps in both directions - if I get a bit too "Enthusiastic" and pluck a string too hard - it softens it. But if I'm playing a quick part and wind up only "grazing" the string on a few notes, it raises the level.

Easy to use - intuitive in fact - and you can see just what it's doing.

Odd unexpected outcome (for me) - my playing has actually improved somewhat as I record, because I'm not consciously trying to pluck each note "just right".

I don't recall who suggested this (though I could look it up) but MUCH thanks!
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
daqsystems@gmail.com

Bass Rider (and other) plugins Don't Work

Post by daqsystems@gmail.com »

So, I have only four Waves plugins. C4, JJVocals, Abby Road Vinyl, and Bass Rider. Of those I can only get the first two to even show up on my list of plugins. JJVocals & Abby Road do not. I installed all of them at the same time in the same way, and I see in my preferences that the directories are in the VSTi folders and I have re-scanned numerous times. I thought maybe those two just don't work in Mixcraft. But, then I see a post where someone using Mixcraft is using these plugins.

Anybody else seeing my problem? Were you able to fix it? How?
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Waves has their Waves Central which activates the plugins you've purchased. They've just gone to v10 and a lot of folks have had issues with v9-v10 plugs. I only have a few of their plugs and haven't even tried to update to v10 yet.

M
Ian Craig

Re: Bass Rider (and other) plugins Don't Work

Post by Ian Craig »

daqsystems@gmail.com wrote:So, I have only four Waves plugins. C4, JJVocals, Abby Road Vinyl, and Bass Rider. Of those I can only get the first two to even show up on my list of plugins. JJVocals & Abby Road do not. I installed all of them at the same time in the same way, and I see in my preferences that the directories are in the VSTi folders and I have re-scanned numerous times. I thought maybe those two just don't work in Mixcraft. But, then I see a post where someone using Mixcraft is using these plugins.

Anybody else seeing my problem? Were you able to fix it? How?
Sorry, I just seen your post.
(in Windows 8.1, Waves version 9) the directories on my machine that Waves uses are numerous (I may have created some myself trying to get it working properly, I can't remember), you may have to look through them all (very annoying, there are hundreds of sub-directories), but currently they are (in no particular order of importance):

\\WIN8\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Waves Audio
\\WIN8\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Waves Audio
\\WIN8\Users\Public\Waves Audio
C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio\Licences
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Plug-Ins V9
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6