Waves Doubler

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Dick43

Waves Doubler

Post by Dick43 »

Does this plugin work with Mixcraft Pro?

Thnx!!
Acoustica Greg

Re: Waves Doubler

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Does it have a free trial? Give it a spin before you buy it!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Dick43

Post by Dick43 »

Will check again...don't think it does. But it's only $30...just don't want to throw that relatively small amount of money away!

Thanks

Dick
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes, you can demo Waves plug-ins. Though IMO the formidable installation silliness is often somewhat of a deterrent to doing so. I'd rather pay a little more for good titles and have an easy installation any day.
But it is always best practice to try before you buy whenever possible. Especially keeping in mind the grand presentation developers make about these things often turn into a let down in actual use, for many reasons.

With that, I assume you are talking about the old original Waves doubler plug-in.
I have that title, but havent used it in a long time, perhaps since MX7 or so.
I will try to remember to load it up and check it this weekend, but I am pretty certain it works fine in Mixcraft. Once successfully installed that is... :evil:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Dick43

Post by Dick43 »

Thanks....I am having one heck of a time getting into Waves Central to download the demo. The company does NOT make it easy - a message about lacking Permissions keeps popping up, and none of the recommended fixes seem to work. I've written Waves, but no reply yet.
If you have any other cheap or free "doublers" to recommend, I'd love to hear about them. I do very little recording, bu am working on a small project that is important to me, and doubling the vocals would be desirable.

Thanks again,

Dick
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Update:
I loaded up Mixcraft this am and inserted Waves Doubler to test. No problems.

I will add this additional caveat however.
There is a problem with my Waves installation that causes only vst3 versions to show up, and I still often have problems with vst3 versions in Mixcraft. I simply havent had time to troubleshoot the Waves problem.

I also expected to need to make a list of reasons I havent been using this plug-in all this time. But I inserted an audio file and clicked through some presets...
Honestly, as usually hapoens, more than half are useless to me. But several made me stop and think... Hey, I should revisit this... :oops:
Also, I would add, it seems its best settings are stereo effects. Generally vocals are mono.
I also expected to mention that the best doubling effects are probably the result of real doubling. Hmm. The more subdued settings are pretty good here.

I will however say, I generally prefer simple "set it and move on" plug-ins over stuff that looks like a virtual synth GUI full of dials and sliders. I like to keep my focus on the end goal instead of going down a rabbit hole of fiddling around.

Substitutes- For simple I like iZotopes vocal doubler in some cases. Background vocals, etc. Note that it is a mono effect I think, targeted at vocals primarily.
I think it is pulled from the Nectar suite. You can try it for free. Go to the iZotopes website and look around the bottom of the products page for "free plug-ins" or similar.

Back to Waves installation.
Tip: Once you get through installing/updating Waves central, and navigate the installation procedure mess, it is best to let it use all the defaults and make no attempt to move or modify anything with the installation. Otherwise you can make a real mess.... (Dont ask how I know)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Dick43

Post by Dick43 »

Thanks....I appreciate all that info, and it convinces me to hold off. I'm having a problem simply with Waves Central (some permissions stuff, and they have not responded to a service request in three days!). I do have the Izotope Doubler demo, and will mess with it tomorrow and see if that does the trick. Too bad Acoustica doesn't offer one!

Thanks again,

Dick
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

After having suffered through the clutter of a Waves bundle install a couple times, I can't bring myself to do it on my new laptop.

It's a shame because they have a few nice plugs, but to me it's not worth the mess.
MikaB

Post by MikaB »

Mark Bliss wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:57 am Yes, you can demo Waves plug-ins. Though IMO the formidable installation silliness is often somewhat of a deterrent to doing so. I'd rather pay a little more for good titles and have an easy installation any day.
110% agreement with Mark's point.

It's honestly less effort to use no plugin and record the track twice :shock: :D
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum.