Xpand!2 Plugin suddenly unable to load

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Bugglegum

Xpand!2 Plugin suddenly unable to load

Post by Bugglegum »

Hello, I am unsure if this is the correct place to make such a post but I am in slightly a rush for assistance.

For about a year now I have used the plugin Xpand!2 with Mixcraft, it is the primary instrument plugin that I use.

Without explanation it has suddenly stopped working. I had noticed when switching to that instrument in the <VSTi Instruments> list. Although it showed up, the "Show Details" section was without preset category and it's Show button. I had tried to restart Mixcraft in order to fix this, and it is now gone from the list entirely.

I have not updated or touched any files that I believe could have caused this, as I'd only just woken up and the plugin worked just fine before I had slept. At first I considered reinstalling the plugin, however the installer for Xpand!2 seems to not be functioning either and I am nervous about messing with that rather than finding what caused Mixcraft to no longer recognize it properly.

(As seen here, it is still here and being detected but is not loading.)

Here is a selection from the log file if it's required:

Code: Select all

...35:02 [ 60 mils] : VST found in registry.
04:35:02 [ 60 mils] : {34766F36-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
04:35:02 [ 61 mils] : VST: C:\Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 9\VST\3rdParty\Xpand!2.dll
04:35:02 [ 62 mils] : Loading VST C:\Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 9\VST\3rdParty\Xpand!2.dll
04:35:02 [ 62 mils] : VST Shell ID: 1
04:35:03 [ 89 mils] : VSTShell Thread 0xa042020 Exiting.
04:35:03 [ 89 mils] : Cannot instantiate VST.  Adding to IGNORE list.
04:35:03 [ 89 mils] : VST DLL unloaded.
04:35:03 [104 mils] : VST: C:\Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 9\VST\3rdParty\Xpand!2_x64.dll
04:35:03 [107 mils] : Loading VST C:\Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 9\VST\3rdParty\Xpand!2_x64.dll
04:35:03 [107 mils] : This is a 64-bit VST.
04:35:03 [180 mils] : LoadLibrary FAILED on C:\Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 9\VST\3rdParty\Xpand!2_x64.dll
04:35:03 [180 mils] : Cannot instantiate VST.  Adding to IGNORE list.
04:35:03 [180 mils] : VST DLL unloaded.
04:35:03 [193 mils] : -> C:\Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 9\VST\3rdParty\Journeys\
04:35:03 [193 mils] : -> C:\Progra...
Thank you for any assistance and I apologize if this is the wrong forum location for such a post.
I hope you have a rockin' day!
Acoustica Greg

Re: Xpand!2 Plugin suddenly unable to load

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did the installer put the DLL file in this location?

C:\Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 9\VST\3rdParty\Xpand!2.dll

Or had you manually copied it there? If you move plugin files around, the VST file might not be able to find its supporting files. You should probably un-install it, remove any extra DLL files you copied, then install again. If the installer doesn't work, you should download a new installer or contact the maker of the plugin.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Bugglegum

Post by Bugglegum »

Initially it did not. I had attempted to put it there instead of the desktop folder I usually use in hopes it might have any affect if loaded from another folder, which it didn't. I will attempt to sort out a reinstallation of the plugin then.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Some plugins are just one DLL file, and you can move those around, but more complex plugins have supporting files for the VST DLL file, and moving the VST DLL file can cause the plugin not to load.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Bugglegum

Post by Bugglegum »

In that case, I've tried removing those .DLL files that I had initially moved and the original installation location still does not work. Which was the case before, as this problem started before I had tried moving them.

I've attempted to reinstall the plugin however I am unable to get the setup to open, so I'll likely have to look into that issue instead before figuring out if it will help or if something else is wrong.

(Log file from after returning the place of the .DLL files, incase it'd ever be needed.)

Code: Select all

14:49:42 [994 mils] : VST: C:\Users\minim\Desktop\BIG FOLDER OF STUFF\VSTs\Xpand!2.dll
14:49:43 [ 11 mils] : Loading VST C:\Users\minim\Desktop\BIG FOLDER OF STUFF\VSTs\Xpand!2.dll
14:49:43 [ 26 mils] : VST Shell ID: 1
14:49:43 [709 mils] : VSTShell Thread 0xa047570 Exiting.
14:49:43 [709 mils] : Cannot instantiate VST.  Adding to IGNORE list.
14:49:43 [709 mils] : VST DLL unloaded.
14:49:43 [719 mils] : VST: C:\Users\minim\Desktop\BIG FOLDER OF STUFF\VSTs\Xpand!2_x64.dll
14:49:43 [737 mils] : Loading VST C:\Users\minim\Desktop\BIG FOLDER OF STUFF\VSTs\Xpand!2_x64.dll
14:49:43 [737 mils] : This is a 64-bit VST.
14:49:43 [836 mils] : LoadLibrary FAILED on C:\Users\minim\Desktop\BIG FOLDER OF STUFF\VSTs\Xpand!2_x64.dll
14:49:43 [836 mils] : Cannot instantiate VST.  Adding to IGNORE list.
14:49:43 [836 mils] : VST DLL unloaded.
CazaroTaro

Post by CazaroTaro »

My Xpand!2 plugin is working with my MIxcraft 9 build 469, so I can't advise you on your basic problem.

However, I did note when updating my Hybrid 3 a couple of weeks ago, that most AIR product installers were not working due to an update to Windows 10. At the time, a new installer for Xpand!2 was not listed. I checked today and found that an installer is now available. You may want to download and try that installer. The URL is:

https://support.pluginboutique.com/hc/e ... nload-Area
Bugglegum

Post by Bugglegum »

Unfortunately this installer is the one I tried previously. But it is helpful to know that there has been confirmed issue with the installers from AIR, and that the plugin normally functions with the current build of Mixcraft. I will continue to look for other possible causes.
Bugglegum

Post by Bugglegum »

Update on the situation, I have solved it. Thank you everyone for advice and assistance!

I do not and will never know what had caused it, however I noticed over the next few days that setup .exe files were no longer working, just like the plugin reinstallation.

It turns out that somehow my PC was no longer recognizing me as an Administrator account. Because of this, I reinstalled Windows entirely. The plugin did not work still at first but after a reinstallation (now possible due to the Admin permissions being fixed) it is working with Mixcraft again!