Kontakt On-screen Keyboard Isn't Visible

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

solidterry

Kontakt On-screen Keyboard Isn't Visible

Post by solidterry »

Greetings! I'm relatively new to Mixcraft 9 and even newer to Kontakt 5 (full version) and I'm wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of things. After getting Kontakt installed in Mixcraft, I can't get the Kontakt user piano keyboard to display at the bottom of the Kontakt interface like it's supposed to do. In standalone mode outside of Mixcraft I can do this with the F3 key, but that doesn't work in Mixcraft. In Mixcraft when I try to use the Shreddage 3 guitar plug-in with Kontakt, I can't get it to do anything. There's no sound or visible signal when using my MIDI keyboard controller (M-Audio Axiom 25). The virtual guitar pickup toggle switch for Shreddage 3 doesn't work either -- it's kind of "greyed out". I tried another Kontakt instrument (Scarbee MM Bass) and had the same result. I don't have this problem when I'm not using Kontakt (e.g., using the guitar plug-in Strum Session) directly with a Mixcraft track works just fine). I'm wondering if these problems are related. Any advice to at least steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
cactus-head

Re: Kontakt On-screen Keyboard Isn't Visible

Post by cactus-head »

I'm using Kontakt player version 5 and I don't have this problem working with mixcraft. Under Options > interface, maybe make sure "Show mapping and keyswitches on keyboard" is checked.

Click on the panels icon and make sure keyboard is checked.
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

I looked in Kontakt and "Show mapping and keyswitches on keyboard" is checked. Where is the Panels icon you're referring to, please? I don't see it in Mixcraft or Kontakt.
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

Okay, nevermind -- I found the icon. Looks like it's called the Workspace menu icon. I can see the on-screen keyboard now and I can even get guitar sounds out of Shreddage 3 by mouse-clicking some of the keys. Thanks! 8) But my MIDI controller still isn't producing any sounds when I play it, and the guitar pickup toggle switch on the Shreddage display is still greyed out. The MIDI controller problem is maybe an input/output issue. I have no idea why the on-screen guitar pickup toggle switch is greyed out, though.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Sorry about the panel name - I had no idea what it was called and didn't feel like loooking it up in the manual. :D

Is the shreddage pickup switch greyed out if you run kontakt by itself outside of mixcraft?

And as far as controllers, what MIDI controller are you using?

As far as input output, in Mixcraft click on File > Preferences > MIDI and then place a check mark next to the input device/MIDI port you would be using.
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

Yes, the pickup switch is greyed out in standalone mode as well as in Mixcraft.  Notice that in the left panel library I don't have Shreddage there, but I have Kontakt Libary and  Scarbee Bass.  Is this because I maybe installed Shreddage the wrong way?
Yes, the pickup switch is greyed out in standalone mode as well as in Mixcraft. Notice that in the left panel library I don't have Shreddage there, but I have Kontakt Libary and Scarbee Bass. Is this because I maybe installed Shreddage the wrong way?
Kontakt in Standalone mode.jpeg (224.36 KiB) Viewed 9980 times
Back in Mixcraft, this is what I see when I go to open Kontakt by clicking the "Change Instrument" icon on track 1.
Back in Mixcraft, this is what I see when I go to open Kontakt by clicking the "Change Instrument" icon on track 1.
Kontakt 'change instrument' window.png (526.94 KiB) Viewed 9980 times
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

This is what Kontakt looks like with the output panel open.
Kontakt in Mixcraft with output panel.png (568.42 KiB) Viewed 9980 times
Here's what it looks like when I open Kontakt -- pretty much the same as standalone mode with no Shreddage showing in the library, even though it is open in the main screen.  By the way, the only way I can open Shreddage is to click on the "Load/Save" icon at the top and then click "Load recent..."
Here's what it looks like when I open Kontakt -- pretty much the same as standalone mode with no Shreddage showing in the library, even though it is open in the main screen. By the way, the only way I can open Shreddage is to click on the "Load/Save" icon at the top and then click "Load recent..."
Kontakt with library panel.png (767.65 KiB) Viewed 9980 times
Here is what I see when click on the "Options" icon at the top.  Notice that I don't have a "MIDI" option available in the left-hand panel after "Usage Data".  But when I open a different instrument such as "Scarbee Bass" I have a MIDI option there.
Here is what I see when click on the "Options" icon at the top. Notice that I don't have a "MIDI" option available in the left-hand panel after "Usage Data". But when I open a different instrument such as "Scarbee Bass" I have a MIDI option there.
Kontakt options section.png (639.04 KiB) Viewed 9980 times
This is Mixcraft's "Preferences > MIDI" section showing my Axiom25 MIDI controller is checked, but I'm not getting a signal from it in "Shreddage".  Elsewhere in Mixcraft I'm getting a signal from it just fine.
This is Mixcraft's "Preferences > MIDI" section showing my Axiom25 MIDI controller is checked, but I'm not getting a signal from it in "Shreddage". Elsewhere in Mixcraft I'm getting a signal from it just fine.
Mixcraft MIDI options.png (491.6 KiB) Viewed 9980 times
This is Mixcraft's "Preferences > Sound Device" section.
This is Mixcraft's "Preferences > Sound Device" section.
Mixcraft General options.png (474.68 KiB) Viewed 9980 times
Attachments
"Scarbee Bass" options window shows MIDI option in left-hand panel, unlike "Shreddage".
"Scarbee Bass" options window shows MIDI option in left-hand panel, unlike "Shreddage".
Scarbee Bass in Kontakt.png (516.87 KiB) Viewed 9980 times
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I don't want to leave you hangin but I don't own any of those products so it would be hard to trouble shoot. It also looks like you are using Shreddage 3 FREE version which will have limitations including only one pickup position. This may also be affecting your MIDI. But anyway:

Basically, once a virtual instrument is in Mixcraft, the MIDI input that you select would be sent to that virtual instrument based on the channel that you arm. For instance, I use Realidrums with Kontakt Player. In Mixcraft, the track I receive MIDI input to for Realidrums (Kontakt) is Armed to receive on all MIDI devices and channels. That's by default, though I could specify as necessary:

MIDI input all devices-channels.JPG
MIDI input all devices-channels.JPG (84.21 KiB) Viewed 9933 times

In Kontakt, you want to be sure info view is available on your instrument header so you can see the MIDI setup for your instrument. The drop down will allow you to select the approriate MIDI path. For me, I chose Port A [from host] > channel 1.

What that means is, anything coming OUT of Mixcraft on channel 1 will play my instrument. In Mixcraft by default, a new track that you put a VST on will output on ALL channels. However, you can specify the output channel by Right Clicking on the track then choosing Lanes > MIDI Channel > and then ALL or whatever channel you want. For our purposes, there's no need to change it right now.

Kontakt Realidrums info panel.JPG
Kontakt Realidrums info panel.JPG (38.82 KiB) Viewed 9933 times
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

Thanks, Cactus. I'm just grateful to get any response at this point. Were you going to add something else? When you said, "For our purposes, there's no need to change it right now", I thought you had some more to say.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

No, that's it. I was just saying, go with the defaults for now, there's no need to get fancy and try and change it to a specific output channel in Mixcraft. The point is, see if you can get some kind of sound when you press a button or key on your controller once you've made sure you have you Mixcraft inputs setup, and you can veryify the MIDI channel in Kontakt in the instrument header window (the Info View). The MIDI input flows like this when Kontakt is the VST (not stand alone):

MIDI Keyboard (or controller) > MIDI Input into Mixcraft on selected track> Mixcraft MIDI Output to loaded VST on whatever channel the lane is set to > VST receives Mixcraft MIDI info on whatever channel it's set too (most often OMNI ALL) > Kontakt specific instrument receives MIDI messages based on setup and channels

Again here's the instrument header in Kontakt - the title will change depending on the instrument:
Kontakt Realidrums info panel.JPG
Kontakt Realidrums info panel.JPG (38.82 KiB) Viewed 9899 times
solidterry

Post by solidterry »

Okay -- much obliged. I had already looked at and done most of the things you mentioned, but your suggestion about the "Omni" MIDI status in Kontakt seems to have done the trick. I can now hear and see the signal from my MIDI keyboard controller in Kontakt. Again, many thanks. :D
Last edited by solidterry on Mon May 03, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Great! Thanks for letting me know!