VST Folder Chaos

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

UilleannB

VST Folder Chaos

Post by UilleannB »

Maybe the wrong board:

Not all VST Plugins allow you to choose the installation folders, some do so for the samples, but install the dll into preset folders (VST Plugins, VST Plugins 64, VST, Steinberg/VST plugins, individual directories etc.) . I think I must have 8 folders or so for 64b Plugins and 32b probably the same, all for Mixcraft to scan.

I am wondering, if I can just move all the dlls into one folder, or will this cause problems for using the libraries?
Acoustica Greg

Re: VST Folder Chaos

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Moving DLLs around can "break" some plugins, unless they are simple one DLL file plugins. Some plugins require support folders or files in a location that the DLL can find.

If the plugin is just a DLL file with no supporting files, then it would be fine, but those kinds of plugins may not even have installers in the first place, so you probably just manually placed them in your favorite VST spot anyway.

Avoid putting everything in Mixcraft's program files folder, something like C:\Program Files\VST\ would be better.

64-bit plugins often install to C:\Program Files\ and 32-bit plugins often install to C:\Program Files (x86)\, but I don't think it would hurt to consolidate VSTs in one or the other.

Best practice would be to uninstall complex plugins and then install them again to the desired folder. Most plugins with installers allow you to choose the VST folder.

If the plugin has VST and non-VST files, don't force it to install into the same folder. Mixcraft has to look at every DLL file in a VST folder to figure out if it's a VST file or not. If you install the supporting DLL files into the VST folder, it can slow down Mixcraft's launch a bit as it attempts to figure out what's what (and it also makes for enormous log files).

One more note: all VST3 plugins go into the same folder:

\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

or

\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

That's how the VST3 standard vies to overcome the very issue you posted about.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101