Waves Tune

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Waves Tune

Post by gmpolin »

Does anybody have any experience, good or bad, using Waves Tune with Mixcraft? Good or Bad? Compared to Melodyne?

If you are a Waves user, you could also tell me about which Waves plugins you like. There is a 4th of July sale still going on.

Thanks for any info.

Glenn
Mark Bliss

Re: Waves Tune

Post by Mark Bliss »

First, about the "sale"(s)
Waves is always having a sale. Perpetually it seems. And they are very prone to the "limited time" "ending soon" "dont miss out" shrill repetitive marketing.
Dont be taken by that. First rule of plug ins, dont fall for the marketing hype, and its only a good deal if you actually use it in your productions.

Caveat: I own and like many of their titles. I am not intending to knock them, just give honest answers.

The next thing to know- installation and authorization can be a royal pita. They have a unique methodology that drives me (and many others- nuts.

Specific recommendations would best rely on knowing just what you do, personal preferences for workflow, etc. Hard call.
It might also help to know what you use and like now for comparison.

Tune specifically, (*I have only used the "live tune" title) but compared to Melodyne, the waves tune titles might be better suited toward those "hard tuned" sounds, where Melodyne is better at "transparent tuning" despite its somewhat odd workflow.
I like Melodyne for most of my needs, though I did (and recommend considering) upgrade from the essentials level. But I prefer to just "touch up" as needed when something bugs my ear. I dont generally do any sweeping overall tuning.

Lastly, If one was to consider picking up some Waves titles and wanted to save money- often the best deals are when they offer sales on bundles.
For example the Gold bundle was recently offered at a pretty deep discount, making the included titles something like slightly under $15 each or so.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Mark, very helpful, thanks for taking the time. I am not interested in hard-tuned vocals, so perhaps I will look into upgrading Melodyne. I feel like I only barely know how to use it in the Essentials version (just push a note up and down, when I can't get an adequate vocal take).

I did have a Waves plugin a long time ago, and I remember it was a pain to install, but I don't remember details. The trouble with any of the bundles is that they include a lot of things where (1) I am either reasonably happy with the tools in Mixcraft, or (2) I don't understand why I need them!
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

I've used Waves Tune for years with Cubase but despite dozens of attempts I've never been able to get it to work properly with Mixcraft. I did mention the problem years ago on the forum and was told that Mixcraft only works as a Rewire host, not as a slave. Also, as far as I know, Mixcraft is not officially supported by Waves. My advice would be to steer clear of it.
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO --> Intel i3-2120, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Frantiac wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:16 pm I've used Waves Tune for years with Cubase but despite dozens of attempts I've never been able to get it to work properly with Mixcraft. I did mention the problem years ago on the forum and was told that Mixcraft only works as a Rewire host, not as a slave. Also, as far as I know, Mixcraft is not officially supported by Waves. My advice would be to steer clear of it.
Thanks. Great info!