AHornsby

Sympathetic Resonance

Post by AHornsby »

What parameters are being affected with the SR slider? Thanks. -h
Acoustica Greg

Re: Sympathetic Resonance

Post by Acoustica Greg »

From the help file:

Sympathetic Resonance - Sympathetic resonance is a subtle phenomenon that occurs in real pianos when the sustain pedal is pressed. Normally, when a piano key is not being played, a felt damper presses against that key's strings, keeping them from vibrating. However, when the sustain pedal is pressed down, those felt dampers are removed, and all of the strings of the piano are left to freely vibrate. When keys are pressed and notes are played, other nearby strings, because they are no longer dampened, start to vibrate in sympathy with the strings that have been played. This causes a slightly fuller piano sound to emerge, as more strings are vibrating (or resonating) around the ones that were actually played. When the sustain pedal is released, this Sympathetic Resonance sound is immediately muted.

Sympathetic Resonance Slider - This slider controls the amount of sympathetic resonance that is heard. This slider has a range of 0 (no Sympathetic Resonance) to 100 (very loud Sympathetic Resonance).
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Thanks Greg. I didn't think to read the help file but I could hear that difference. I just wondered if was taking into account the vibrations of the 'tone woods' somehow as well. -h
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

I wish it were "very loud". It's not but it is noticeable. In real life, even when the pedal is up you still get some reaction from surrounding keys, which is why there isn't a sampled piano in the world that sounds right when played pedals up. There's also always a little reverb as the sounds bounce around inside the big wooden box and the walls and floor of the room. :)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Although Greg's answer from the help file explains how things work in real life, I would be interested in how the software is reproducing that affect.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.