Whether you plan, to make the Pianissimo for MAC OS X ?

Support and feedback for Pianissimo virtual grand piano software

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: Whether you plan, to make the Pianissimo for MAC OS X ?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We still don't have any plans to make a Mac version, but you could run Pianissimo on a Mac if you're able to run Windows using something like Parallels Desktop or Apple Boot Camp.

Greg
RichyT

Post by RichyT »

Pains me to hear that Greg; out of frustration of trying to use this cracking VST, I went over some older methods that previously didn't work for me, but apparently do now! :D

Getting Pianissimo VST on your MAC

I am now running Pianissimo on my MAC using an app called VFX V-Machine; the app is completely free and (as of time of posting) can be downloaded from here.

Note: You may also need X11 to be installed, though my mac already came with it, so you may wish to check. I believe X11 is what is used to run windows software on a Mac. If you are missing it, this website may help.

My system spec is OS X is 10.6.8 - Intel machine.

Once I had the above Apps installed, I copied the pianissimo folder from my Windows Machine onto my Mac (I had two folders, but specifically wanted the VST folder; The size of the folder for me was ~264mb. Basically the important thing is, it had the Pianissimo.dll file in it).

When you have loaded the VFX app you can select 'Import VST plugin...' from the drop down menu...

Then in the first target box, point it towards the .dll file in the pianissimo folder...

The second target box was auto filled in for me so no need to tinker with that one. The vst plugin then was installed. It may complain about the License and advising you need to use the V-Machine; I ignored this step and from the drop down menu I selected Pianissimo[**NOT LICENSED**]...

The VST is loaded and should be responding to your midi keyboard and audio output heard through your speakers; this is what happened for me anyway. The VFX software will be using whatever you have set as your default output and midi channels in your Audio MIDI setup on your Mac.

If you cannot see the Pianissimo control screen appear, you may need to turn it on. Right-Click in a blank area of the app and select 'Show VST Editor' and it should appear for you.

You should be able to re-register you copy of Pianissimo from inside the VST; though the [**NOT LICENSED**] text doesn't disappear from the drop down menu. No matter, you should now have a working-playable copy of Pianissimo on your Mac.

Huzzah :!:

There is no significant latency and the VST is playable; if you tinker with the VFX LCD screen you can find out the Buffer size is set to 512, though I was not able to change it to anything lower or higher. I'm not entirely sure if its using that as the official buffer size, or if its getting it from somewhere else.

Routing VFX Audio and Midi through to your DAW

Ok so I have since edited this post and found a very helpful 3 part tutorial on how to get any VST in the VFX software to route through to a DAW, where you will be able to record the audio and midi. In this example, the DAW is Ableton Live; but I presume the method will apply to most DAWs out there as its configuring the audio input and outputs.

Note: One of the key parts of the tutorial is routing the audio via a free app called 'Soundflower'. This can be (as of time of posting) downloaded from here.

:!: Warning: the video guide is created by a French speaker, but if you follow his steps and the actions he takes you will be able to get the same results.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

The VFX app will use your Macs default output when its first loaded. If you change the output in your Mac and wish for the VFX app to do the same, it will require a restart of the software. This caught me out a few times, especially when trying to route the audio through Soundflower.

--

Hope this helps anyone else who was in the same boat as me. Any problems, just leave me a message and I'll try and help!
0mar32

Post by 0mar32 »

RichyT wrote:Pains me to hear that Greg; out of frustration of trying to use this cracking VST, I went over some older methods that previously didn't work for me, but apparently do now! :D

Getting Pianissimo VST on your MAC

I am now running Pianissimo on my MAC using an app called VFX V-Machine; the app is completely free and (as of time of posting) can be downloaded from here.

Note: You may also need X11 to be installed, though my mac already came with it, so you may wish to check. I believe X11 is what is used to run windows software on a Mac. If you are missing it, this website may help.

My system spec is OS X is 10.6.8 - Intel machine.

Once I had the above Apps installed, I copied the pianissimo folder from my Windows Machine onto my Mac (I had two folders, but specifically wanted the VST folder; The size of the folder for me was ~264mb. Basically the important thing is, it had the Pianissimo.dll file in it).

When you have loaded the VFX app you can select 'Import VST plugin...' from the drop down menu...

Then in the first target box, point it towards the .dll file in the pianissimo folder...

The second target box was auto filled in for me so no need to tinker with that one. The vst plugin then was installed. It may complain about the License and advising you need to use the V-Machine; I ignored this step and from the drop down menu I selected Pianissimo[**NOT LICENSED**]...

The VST is loaded and should be responding to your midi keyboard and audio output heard through your speakers; this is what happened for me anyway. The VFX software will be using whatever you have set as your default output and midi channels in your Audio MIDI setup on your Mac.

If you cannot see the Pianissimo control screen appear, you may need to turn it on. Right-Click in a blank area of the app and select 'Show VST Editor' and it should appear for you.

You should be able to re-register you copy of Pianissimo from inside the VST; though the [**NOT LICENSED**] text doesn't disappear from the drop down menu. No matter, you should now have a working-playable copy of Pianissimo on your Mac.

Huzzah :!:

There is no significant latency and the VST is playable; if you tinker with the VFX LCD screen you can find out the Buffer size is set to 512, though I was not able to change it to anything lower or higher. I'm not entirely sure if its using that as the official buffer size, or if its getting it from somewhere else.

Routing VFX Audio and Midi through to your DAW

Ok so I have since edited this post and found a very helpful 3 part tutorial on how to get any VST in the VFX software to route through to a DAW, where you will be able to record the audio and midi. In this example, the DAW is Ableton Live; but I presume the method will apply to most DAWs out there as its configuring the audio input and outputs.

Note: One of the key parts of the tutorial is routing the audio via a free app called 'Soundflower'. This can be (as of time of posting) downloaded from here.

:!: Warning: the video guide is created by a French speaker, but if you follow his steps and the actions he takes you will be able to get the same results.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

The VFX app will use your Macs default output when its first loaded. If you change the output in your Mac and wish for the VFX app to do the same, it will require a restart of the software. This caught me out a few times, especially when trying to route the audio through Soundflower.

--

Hope this helps anyone else who was in the same boat as me. Any problems, just leave me a message and I'll try and help!
I've made a video that details the same steps but in English, if anyone wants to check it out here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BX50JcOVjo