Tuning??!!

Support and feedback for Pianissimo virtual grand piano software

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Manitsky

Tuning??!!

Post by Manitsky »

I can't seem to find a way to tune the piano. Is that possible? What is it currently tuned to? 440? 442? It seems a bit sharp to me, and it's an issue for a number of (obvious) reasons. Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using it as a VST plugin in another program? Does it sound sharp to you in standalone mode?

Pianissimo is tuned to A440. There's not a piano tuning feature at this point, but that's something that could possibly be included in a future update.

Greg
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

You could test it with something like this http://www.aptuner.com
Manitsky

Post by Manitsky »

I'm using it as a VST in FL Studio. I layered it with another piano which also claims to be A440, but they definitely didn't match. I tuned the other piano up. I'll try the program the other poster suggested, and test it. Thanks!
Manitsky

Post by Manitsky »

Ok, I have focused on this again, and used an external tuner to test it. The Korg M1LE piano is at A 440. This piano is SHARP!!!! Lame, lame, lame. It's a really cheap way to make an instrument sound bright, which is fine, because you get better reviews, etc., that way. But come on. You need to allow us to tune it. Can I get my money back on this?
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

I can confirm that Pianissimo plays sharp. I used a couple of tuners including aptuner that Eric suggested. All notes show anywhere from 6 to 13 cents sharp no matter if playing as standalone or vsti and no matter which preset is used.

I calibrated the tuners using a 440Hz sine wave tone from two different tone generators. The tuners are right on.

*EDIT*
Interestingly, most pianos are showing slightly sharp when played. Some more than others. The key strike is sharp, then they quickly settle closer to correct pitch. TruePianos Emerald and Diamond presets are the closest I've found in my tests. Even other TruePianos presets are further off.

I'll test some of the even more advanced sample-based pianos that I have and report back. I'll ask my piano tuner his opinion as well.
*Vibrant Audio*
Acoustica Chris

Post by Acoustica Chris »

Hi, I am the sound designer of Pianissimo. I can confirm that the samples are about 4-6 cents sharp. The samples are at the exact pitch of the original piano they were taken from. This was unintentional and will be fixed in a future update.
Also, the samples are less sharp in the lower range of the piano and more sharp near the top. This is due to a tuning technique known as "octave stretching". You can learn more about octave stretching from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_tuni ... ed_octaves
Chris Collins
Acoustica, Inc.
Manitsky

Post by Manitsky »

This was over a year ago. Has it been fixed? Thanks.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Manitsky wrote:This was over a year ago. Has it been fixed? Thanks.
No, we haven't had any Pianissimo updates, and we do not have an update in the works right now. We're busy working on Mixcraft 6.

For product update news, click "Like" on Mixcraft's Facebook page or sign up for the Acoustica Newsletter.
Manitsky

Post by Manitsky »

So we are coming up on two years with this problem. Can you please refund my purchase price? You may email me at my law firm email address. amanitsky@gravelshea.com. Thank you.
Acoustica Chris

Post by Acoustica Chris »

Here is a workaround for now until the product is officially updated. Simply download the following zipped .dat file, extract it, and replace the current Pianissimo.dat (usually located in "C:\Program Files(x86)\VST\Pianissimo") with the extracted .dat file:

ftp://ftp.acoustica.com/AC-Software/pia ... tuning.zip

Sorry it's such a large file. I hope this helps all of you who have been experiencing this problem, and I apologize that it has taken so long to offer a fix.
Chris Collins
Acoustica, Inc.
Stjamesg8

Post by Stjamesg8 »

So does the "workaround", ....uh, work? Manitsky, did you ever try it?

As a paying customer, I'm also curious as to a timeline for Pianissimo updates/improvements. Many good suggestions have been presented to make the product better, but......
Acoustica Greg

Re: Tuning??!!

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're busy working on Mixcraft 6 right now. We don't have any updates for Pianissimo scheduled at this time.

Greg
5rise

Post by 5rise »

Hi,

I'm using the standalone version but can't find an original .dat file in C:\Program Files(x86)...to replace with the new one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jon
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you have 32-bit Windows, it would be "Program Files" instead of "Program Files (x86)." If you installed Pianissimo into a different VST folder, that's where you'd find the pianissimo.dat file.

Greg