Mixcraft 7 suggestions?

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

pedrosura

Re: Mixcraft 7 suggestions?

Post by pedrosura »

FlyingsCool wrote:
pedrosura wrote:Suggestions:

1)Change the color of the track and frozen track to be different. (I had all track frozen except one which was only highlighted and it took me a while to realize it was not frozen. If an unfrozen track is highlighted it looks blue the same color as the frozen tracks)

Nice :)

2)I wish there was a "Slow" toggle button. You can setup the "Slow" speed in preferences. The idea is that you toggle the slow while recording or rehearsing a complex part and then un toggle it and resume normal speed. When working with MIDI, it is better to record at a slower speed and then speed it up for listening. I find myself changing the speed back and forth all the time..

Again, yes...

3)I wish there was such thing as a midi track that can output midi to the current track and/or to a virtual instrument. I have arpeggiators that produce midi for dance music and it is very cumbersome with the current setup. It would be great if the midi track would send the midi data to any other track or tracks and make other virtual instruments come alive.

Can you use a Send to an Aux track for this? Or is that what you are saying is cumbersome to do? How would you define what the "current" track is? IOW, how would you define which track is feeding which track?
I'm not knocking the idea, sounds great to me, just looking for more detail on how to do what you want, and how it'll be less cumbersome than how to do it now.

4)I second the posibility of changing the background from white. It is tough to work in the dark.

Love this software. Cant wait for MX7!
Sorry for confusing my suggestion. The problem is that if a virtual instrument produces midi, it can not send midi simultaneously to another virtual instrument on another track. For example, if I have an arpeggiator on track 1 creating a midi pattern and a Minimogue Synth Bass on track 2, I wish is that i could play a note on track 1 and the arpeggiator would create notes and send them to track 2.
Right now, Mixcraft can not do this. Greg says above that this will be fixed on Mx7 so bravo. I guess another excellent feature revealed!
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Sorry, tidy freak here...

With regard to the Mixcraft Project Folder, Wouldn't it be nice to have one little folder like this (pic 1)

As opposed to this (pic 2)
Attachments
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (6.99 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (26.84 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

That is a five star suggestion Trevor. Spot on!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

technically it could be argued that the project folder already takes care of that, but it certainly does help with decluttering folders with huge amounts of audio files involved. I was going to suggest that the main tier of the folder could contain the .mx6 file and MIDI files and the subfolder for audio files, but then I remembered that the .mx6 file stores any MIDI data used in the project.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

I did this on my last project (created a new folder called audio clips) and then dragged and dropped the files in. First instance of MC searches and finds and it's no problem after that.

Problem is when I have merged clips - eg a comp of several takes. It saves as 'merge track 3 guitar' for example, but then it somehow uses the 'merge track 3 guitar' from another project :shock: So I end up with '99 miles from LA' with the guitar solo from 'Roll over Beethoven'.. I guess just renaming the merges appropriately would help, but maybe an issue worth addressing?
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 8gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

trevlyns wrote:I did this on my last project (created a new folder called audio clips) and then dragged and dropped the files in. First instance of MC searches and finds and it's no problem after that.

Problem is when I have merged clips - eg a comp of several takes. It saves as 'merge track 3 guitar' for example, but then it somehow uses the 'merge track 3 guitar' from another project :shock: So I end up with '99 miles from LA' with the guitar solo from 'Roll over Beethoven'.. I guess just renaming the merges appropriately would help, but maybe an issue worth addressing?
Well, are these separate projects with separate folders or are they in the same folder? I don't think Mixcraft will think twice about overwriting an audio file if said file doesn't currently exist within the project (mx6 file) itself. I know it will automatically overwrite any conflicting files when you use the "copy to new project folder" option
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Anorax wrote:Well, are these separate projects with separate folders or are they in the same folder? I don't think Mixcraft will think twice about overwriting an audio file if said file doesn't currently exist within the project (mx6 file) itself. I know it will automatically overwrite any conflicting files when you use the "copy to new project folder" option
If there are duplicate file names when you use "copy project files," Mixcraft will append a number on the end of one of the files to avoid getting files mixed up.
lars
Location: http://www.thesessionguitarist.com/onli ... rvice.html

Post by lars »

...I forgot one thing which my mix/console suggestions:

4 Send Buttons. It would help so much to have access to control 4 send effects in the same time to mix "realtime" not having to switch the whole time just sharing all the effects through one button.

I say 4, as this covers room/hall, delay and chorus for example...
lars
Location: http://www.thesessionguitarist.com/onli ... rvice.html

Post by lars »

I hope mixcraft will not explode with all this features and still stay intuitive !! :)

That is actually why I chose it over other DAW's :)

I would already be happy how it is but as 64bit version. This is actually the only now go now days for me. Good software pianos need up to 4 GB ram already since years, 4 GB ram are nothing for producing since quite a while...

Apart from that: Keep the great work !! :) :!:
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Would anybody else like to see the ability to view and edit multiple automation at the same time for a given track?

Right now, it seems you can only view one automation lane at a time for any given track. At least I haven't figured out a way to turn on multiple lanes.

There are times I'd like to reference one automation lane while modifying another.

I'm imagining the user selects the down arrow on the automation lane... Currently, the active automation lanes are listed at the top of the list. I'm imagining the user holds the control key and selects the lanes they want to view, and a check mark appears next to the visible automation lanes.

It would also be useful, then, to be able to drag automation lanes within the track to reorder them.

And of course I would want the software to remember what the configuration is when I collapse and expand the automation lane view.
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

As noted in another thread, I'd like to see a preference added to change the mode of the solo button between single track at a time toggle and the current method allowing multiple tracks to be soloed.
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Re: frozen tracks.

I noticed that Mixcraft re-freezes tracks every time it is loaded. The reason for freezing is to speed up things and to release resources, but this currently happens half-heartedly.

* It would speed up loading times a lot if frozen tracks were taken as-is without having to re-freeze them again.
* It would speed up loading times if thusly currently unneeded plug-ins were not loaded at starting time.
* It would unburden memory (a lot dependent on the plug-in) if plug-ins were unloaded after freezing (un-freezing would take just a second longer for re-loading them)

-helmut
C# or Bb!
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Re: gain trim facility

Recording onto a digital medium (24bits) no longer requires the input signal to be as hot as possible due to practical absence of noise. You can record with quite conservative levels.

Unfortunately, there may be little to be seen in the clip. Zooming the clip height may help only partially.
A gain trim function akin to a console´s gain trim would greatly help. This would boost the input to a sensical height.

Indeed an even better solution would be, if any clip volume automation would be immediately visible by accordingly adjusting the clip´s waveform.
This would be a great visual indicator to gauge the signal action range and the like.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
trebbassman

Post by trebbassman »

As I read some of these submissions...I realize I don't know jack about recording. So kuddos to you guys out there that know all this stuff. ^ 5
Mixcraft 6 Build 217
Schetcher Tempest Guitar
Super Fata

Post by Super Fata »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Super Fata wrote:- Fix the clip merge function (both audio and MIDI). This sometimes leaves out portions, especially if there are several clips (it then stops at the end of the first one)
- Fix/perfect the "mix to new audi track function. It sometimes ends the clip while there is still a tail of sound left, espicially if there's a long reverb tail. It's like the mixdown focuses on the MIDI-instrument/audio clip not being "active" anymore, instead of whether the audio has actually ended or not (Reverbs, delays, etc).
Hi,

We're not aware of a problem in which the merge option leaves out part of the clips. Are you using Mixcraft 6.1 build 217? If so, can you please submit an Acoustica Support Request and let us know how to duplicate the problem?

In regard to the reverb tails, it wouldn't necessarily be a good feature to lop those off. Did you know you can select the section of audio you want to mix down and then choose the "Use Selection" option when you go to mix down?

Greg
Hi. I'm in MC6 v.204. Yes, I do use the ""Mix down selection" function alot. What I'm refering to is when the audio or midi clips have vst effects on them, like reverbs, delays etc. Or when the instruments (like pads) have long decays. Mixcraft then cuts off the audio before it is silent when mixing down. My workaround for this has been to add empty midi blocks or audio clips with the volume all the way down after the parts I'm actually mixing down. These are included in the mixdown, thus giving enough time for the reverbs and delays to fade out completely.

Jan
"It's good to have an open mind, but not to the point where ones brain fall out"