Mixcraft 7 suggestions?

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

outteh

Re: Mixcraft 7 suggestions?

Post by outteh »

Additional plug-ins. A voice changer with formant option, a true gate, a cut filter plugin with presets for cuts, shelves and bells. Also the ability to record a true mono track, regardless of the input signal. The track should be able to be set as stereo or mono as a preference. And to support some of the other comments, the software should stay simple and intuitive. What I loved about Mixcraft compared to other DAW's was it's ease of use. Don't over complicate it with the improvements, keep it simple.
perihelion summer

Post by perihelion summer »

Oh, and one last thing! If you could maybe add a keyboard shortcut for boosting volume up or down 150% (about 3.5db) on a track, that would be a subtle, but very helpful enhancement for mixing.
Chad
crispyw67

Post by crispyw67 »

Some of these are based on suggestions from others, and forgive me if some of these already exist and I haven't found them yet, but I would like to see...

Midi arpeggiator - as a midi plug in?

I also like the idea of a built in drum loop creation feature - like beatcraft?

More FX presets - I find it really handy when getting ideas down quickly to use these pre-defined fx chains. I know you can program your own, but they really do provide inspiration.

A way to keep the 'musical typing' widget working in the background while you tweak a synths parameters - might just be me, but currently when the little window loses focus, it doesn't work any more.

Choice of colours for sections of tracks - I would find this very handy, especially when arranging midi drums so I can identify fills, intro, chorus etc

A slicker interface for selecting VSTi's.

Maybe one button to launch the VSTi interface rather than going via the 'edit' button?

Some sort of interface to be able to tweak the included instruments.

And keep up the good work! - Mixcraft is a dream compared to the other DAW's I've tried.

Chris Walker
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Dan wrote:...We're under the impression that we've fixed any issues with merging in the latest version.

Dan
I updated and tested, so far I am of the same opinion as you, it seems to be working well. I'll let you know if I get any problems.
Impulseman

Post by Impulseman »

crispyw67 wrote:Some sort of interface to be able to tweak the included instruments.
This would really be a Plus to Mixcraft 7 to my opinion, along with the option of splitting the drum track in multi-parts, or not.

Impulseman
Acer, Intel i7 870, 6GB DDR3 RAM, ATI HD 5570 WD 1.5TB HDD, Windows 10 Family Edition
Asus A11D AMD Intel core i5 4460S, 12GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240, 1TB Seagate Hybrid HDD, Windows 10 Family Edition (version 1909) Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio 468
msavoia

Post by msavoia »

I forgot about one more suggestion for MC7 that is important for me. It's subtle but may also be important to others.
The usual default behavior in Windows is: When multiple items are selected, a single Mouse down+mouse up on any one of the selected items switches to single selection of that item. This is also the behavior in the Piano roll view, incidentally. It's what we've come to expect.
But for some reason, this doesn't happen in the Track View! I can't count the times I've accidentally moved entire sections of clips when, assuming default Windows behavior, i click one of item among multiple selected items, thinking that one item became selected, when it wasn't.
Instead, you have to click on some other clip, not among the selected ones, to get out of the multi-selected state. Could clip selection behavior be the standard behavior in MC7? Thanks!
Louis B

Post by Louis B »

Block Pattern/Phrase Sequencer
I was about to suggest in great detail, a block-building (pattern) style sequencer based on my experience of composing on the Fairlight III RS page, when I saw the new Yamaha Mobile Sequencer app for iPad. It is a very straight-forward and mathematical way of constructing a piece of music, particularly for me, a non-classically trained musician.

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/ap ... _sequencer

A similar facility in MC7 really would be a useful addition and needn't mess with the simple integrity of the original system (which many forum members seem to agree on), in that you could assemble and edit the patterns outside of the main program, then merge/ import them into the main sequencer.
Last edited by Louis B on Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha CS80, Elka Synthex Mk2, Korg Oasys 76, Oberheim OB8, Open Labs Neko LX61, DSI Poly Evolver, Kurzweil PC3K8, Moog Taurus I & III, Roland Super JX-10, Integra-7, V-Synth, JD-800, Varios, Novation Supernova II, Mackie D8B & HDR-24.
pierret

Post by pierret »

perihelion summer wrote:Also, one feature I would really like, is a track-level channel swap feature for swapping the left and right channels....
Yes thats a good idea that I second. Its nice to have a double track view of each channels of one track. Its something found in Audacity for instance, Sonar etc.

Pierret
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

Has anyone suggested the ability to quantize?
sukotto

Post by sukotto »

perhaps I,m old fashioned but how about a step editor?
Arpeggio

Post by Arpeggio »

You know how if you click on a note in the piano roll and then if you create a note it is the same length. Can you make so that the midi channel of the last note I clicked will be the same when I make a new note.
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." -- J.S. Bach
http://soundcloud.com/arpeggio-2/
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Bucktail wrote:Has anyone suggested the ability to quantize?
audio or midi? MIDI quantization has been in mixcraft since MX5 or possibly before
Arpeggio wrote:You know how if you click on a note in the piano roll and then if you create a note it is the same length. Can you make so that the midi channel of the last note I clicked will be the same when I make a new note.
As an extension to this idea (which is pretty darn cool in its own right), what if notes in the Piano Roll were color coded depending on what MIDI channel they were on?

I know that changes in brightness denote changes in velocity, but could changes in note hue symbolize the current MIDI channel?
Impulseman

Post by Impulseman »

Anorax wrote:
Bucktail wrote:Has anyone suggested the ability to quantize?
audio or midi? MIDI quantization has been in mixcraft since MX5 or possibly before
Arpeggio wrote:You know how if you click on a note in the piano roll and then if you create a note it is the same length. Can you make so that the midi channel of the last note I clicked will be the same when I make a new note.
As an extension to this idea (which is pretty darn cool in its own right), what if notes in the Piano Roll were color coded depending on what MIDI channel they were on?

I know that changes in brightness denote changes in velocity, but could changes in note hue symbolize the current MIDI channel?
I believe it would be a good idea to add the MIDI channel number in the left pane of the Piano Roll, alongside the instrument title and make it changeable.
Acer, Intel i7 870, 6GB DDR3 RAM, ATI HD 5570 WD 1.5TB HDD, Windows 10 Family Edition
Asus A11D AMD Intel core i5 4460S, 12GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon R7 240, 1TB Seagate Hybrid HDD, Windows 10 Family Edition (version 1909) Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio 468
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

I was hoping for audio. Maybe it can't be done.......
crispyw67

Post by crispyw67 »

Another thought - again, correct me if this can already be done - it would be nice to import your own samples and loops and add them to the existing styles rather than having to switch between the mixcraft sample library and the imported library?

And another one - someone joked about being able to hum a tune in and Mixcraft guesses what the entire production should sound like, but seriously - what about a basic pitch to midi tool? e.g. - you sing in a basic melody and mixcraft converts it to midi ready for editing?