Question about how to use keys

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

FlyingsCool

Question about how to use keys

Post by FlyingsCool »

This is really a general Mixcraft question, but I'm asking it here because, 1. The way stuff works has changed, and 2. Might be a good subject for the documentation if it's not already covered.

Really, a basic question, but I'm feeling confused about it.

I'm doing a song where I'm using some audio, and the key of the song is in, let's say F#. So I enter the project key as F#.

But I want to enter a score in on an instrument clip, and I want to write it in in the key of C, so there's no assumed #s and bs. In other words, I don't want any assumed # and bs, but I'm writing it as is, so it's really in the key of F#, but it's not indicated in the key signature. Does that make sense?

It seems as though I want leave it on Use Project Key, and change the Original Clip key to C Maj
Then, when I'm done, do I put it on transpose and leave it at zero? Or do I have to transpose it (up or down 6 semitones in this case???)?

Thanks
gypsy101

Re: Question about how to use keys

Post by gypsy101 »

you got me but 'm doing a song right now in A but I wrote it in G & when I transposed that particular VSTI synth (Renegade synth) up to A it's right @ a quartertone off w/ the modulation. :shock:

no,it's not my guitars or bass because it's still off against every tuned instrument or other vsti I play it against.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Are you writing in the piano roll or notation view? Because composing in the piano roll automatically assumes whatever you're entering is in the project key, and doesn't enforce sharps/flats.

So in your example, does the clip sound like the key of C or the key of F#?
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Anorax wrote:Are you writing in the piano roll or notation view? Because composing in the piano roll automatically assumes whatever you're entering is in the project key, and doesn't enforce sharps/flats.

So in your example, does the clip sound like the key of C or the key of F#?
I'm writing in "Score" mode.

Ok, that's weird. Why put the sharps and flats in the signature if they are not going to be enforced?

On these last two scores I've entered, I seem to be doing things correctly, as they sounded ok. But in the past, I had somehow gotten myself in a situation where I needed to transpose what was written a few semitones to get it right. I'm not sure what I did wrong to start with, hence my question about procedure.
mick

Post by mick »

Bear in mind the score function is intended as an editor and not a full score composer.
If you prefer composing in notation Musescore is a free highly capable notation program, save your work as a midi file and open it in Mixcraft, you can then make edits in the score function, piano roll, or step sequencer.
You either have a notation program or a DAW, no DAW does both, not even Sequoa costing 30 times as much. The Mixcraft score function is a window between the two.
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

I have no problem with not enforcing assumed flats and sharps. I just think it should be clear that's what's being done as you are entering notes.

I'm sure it's good to have the flats and sharps shown in the signature to quickly remind people what key the song is in.... But it seems to me, that they should be left off so people don't get confused and think they are entering a flatted or sharped note when they aren't.

In fact, for my purposes, I prefer to enter everything specifically, but I'm a newbie to this music notation thing.

I've been using Mixcraft to help me analyze songs for some music theory classes I've been taking through Coursera. Just finishing up Gary Burton's Berklee Jazz Improvisation course as we speak. I like creating MIDI's to help me learn the passages, and it helps me understand chord structure and a lot of other things (as well as using it to record my homework :) )
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

And, yes, I keep telling people I use Mixcraft, and they should, too. :)

I've tried and have licenses for Audacity, Reaper, Studio One 2, and Ableton Live 9, and I keep using Mixcraft. It's just so easy to use and I get everything I need done quickly and without hunting from day one.

(My cat is snoring next to me... #justsayin)

Squirrel! -->
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Notation/score mode should be enforcing sharps and flats. Piano roll has no automatic enforcement, mostly because all 12 pitches in every octave is displayed at once, hence no need for sharps and flats.

Here's what I'm getting: You have a project in F#. You're writing a clip in the key of C in a way that it sounds like the key of F# (manual accidentals).

I don't know what to tell you in this case, I'll have to fiddle around with notation view myself.
mick

Post by mick »

I'm a bit lost with the F# and C integration thing here, any white or black key can be used for any piece of music in any key but the deciding factor is the chords used. You can't use C related chords in the key of F#, or vice versa, unless of course I'm having another one of those OFC episodes.
The black keys make for a nice basic oriental effect using only 2 chords F# + A# + C# chord (F# major) and F# + B + D# (B major 2nd inversion) fiddle about with some black keys for a melody.
Try Irish whistle and kalimba for starters.