Mixcraft 8

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

dung_beetle

Re: Mixcraft 8

Post by dung_beetle »

I remember making that suggestion before v7 or even v6 was launched, you just don't care about people who, unlike you kids, do not have perfect vision anymore. It's that typical 'yeah, yeah, keep talking, asshole, just give us your money' attitude...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

dung_beetle wrote:I remember making that suggestion before v7 or even v6 was launched, you just don't care about people who, unlike you kids, do not have perfect vision anymore. It's that typical 'yeah, yeah, keep talking, asshole, just give us your money' attitude...
Hi,

I'm sorry that you're disappointed, but there's no need to use that kind of language. As you should know if you've been paying attention to these forums, we're very good about listening to customer feedback and Mixcraft 8 is full of features suggested by our customers. That said, it's impossible to include every possible feature that has been put forward in a particular version, for example - If we work to introduce native sidechaining, that takes man hours away from other features. We're a small company and we have to choose which features to include carefully.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
dung_beetle

Post by dung_beetle »

No problem, I will keep using my other DAW until and unless MC gets a reasonable GUI...

It does make me wonder about your priorities, though. As monitors keep getting bigger, your GUI keeps getting smaller, i.e. harder to read. It is the same with VST's. What was ok 10 years ago, is often useless on modern monitors.
I do not want to mess with Windows fonts because using bigger fonts there often leads to buttons and menus with incomplete labels and items.

So, I think essential improvements are more urgent than fancy details such as sidechaining, which can be done using certain plugins as well. In my view MC is not exactly an EDM DAW, anyway, but instead for more mature, old-skool musicians.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

dung_beetle wrote:No problem, I will keep using my other DAW until and unless MC gets a reasonable GUI...

It does make me wonder about your priorities, though. As monitors keep getting bigger, your GUI keeps getting smaller, i.e. harder to read. It is the same with VST's. What was ok 10 years ago, is often useless on modern monitors.
I do not want to mess with Windows fonts because using bigger fonts there often leads to buttons and menus with incomplete labels and items.

So, I think essential improvements are more urgent than fancy details such as sidechaining, which can be done using certain plugins as well. In my view MC is not exactly an EDM DAW, anyway, but instead for more mature, old-skool musicians.
Hi,

You could also just run your monitor at a lower resolution, or get computer glasses.

Greg
dung_beetle

Post by dung_beetle »

Nah, that's your job, sorry. Why do you think VST developers such as Lennar Digital, Arturia etc. have finally introduced scalable user interfaces for their old plugins?

I only dropped in today because I was transferring some legacy MC projects to my other DAW and noticed that there has been no MC update in months, which made me wonder if v8 is already available...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

dung_beetle wrote:Nah, that's your job, sorry. Why do you think VST developers such as Lennar Digital, Arturia etc. have finally introduced scalable user interfaces for their old plugins?

I only dropped in today because I was transferring some legacy MC projects to my other DAW and noticed that there has been no MC update in months, which made me wonder if v8 is already available...
Hi,

Sorry the feature you wanted isn't there. Thank you for your feedback!

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well now, I'm no kid, and given the fact I have rapidly deteriorating vision problems that make me anxious about keeping my legal driving status, I could reasonably take insult.
But no, instead I'd like to thank you for dropping back in "Dung Beetle" as I needed a little humorous break today!

FWIW, I don't feel the problems I have seeing are worse in or by any means exclusive to Mixcraft. I have trouble seeing everything. Cooking instructions are the worst. But then, pulling on socks and tying my shoes bring no joy these days either.

And if I were into producing EDM, (God forbid), I think it would be wise to use a DAW that made it as easy as possible. If that was something other than Mixcraft, I don't think I would need to make a trip out for "butt hurt" cream. Not that I could read the label or anything.
But at least I can still read well enough to get a snicker out of an "underhanded compliment" like: "instead for more mature, old-skool musicians." But yeah, I guess "mature" is finding it more funny than insulting, and thanking you for that. I'm certainly "old-skool cool" with that.

And as far as the scalable/resizable plug in comment goes, I'd be asking what took so long?
I have a suspicion. From what I understand it has been somewhat dependent on the roll out and adoption of the VST3 standard. But as to how long its been delayed and dragging out..... I suspect it is partially related to the fact that a search for say Lennar digital results in results near the top of the list for torrents and code cracks. Go ahead and blame that on us old farts. See what great development the everything free mentality brings?

One more time, thanks again for dropping by. Very funny!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Laserjones

Post by Laserjones »

Okay, after all the bashing I'd like to return to business (and express my deep respect to the Mixcraft team for its great work and to Greg for staying professional and polite here).

I just played around with the display scaling options of Windows 10, and after setting the scaling to 150 %, Mixcraft appeared with a reasonable size. However, the graphics and particularly the fonts appear blurry – they seem to be raster fonts, not vector fonts. The other suggested solution – reducing the overall screen resolution – results in an equally blurry appearance (this lies in the nature of TFT screens, which should always be operated at their native resolution).

So it seems that the only way to achieve a sharp display of the Mixcraft interface is returning to the native screen resolution and to 100 % scaling in Windows (or disabling the "scaling at high dpi settings" option in the compatibility settings of Mixcraft, which has the same effect).

With these settings, the height of a capital letter in the Mixcraft GUI on my 17" FullHD laptop screen is as little as 1.2 mm (1/20 of an inch)! So we only have the choice between tiny and blurry. I think everyone can agree that this is an actual problem.
Comiso

Post by Comiso »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

It depends on how testing goes. We'd like to release Mixcraft 8 this year.

Greg
Thanks for your answer and your great job. I will waiting for M8 and buy it.
mick

Post by mick »

Mark wrote:
But then, pulling on socks and tying my shoes bring no joy these days either.
:lol:
I have a solution!
Socks - lie on bed with feet in the air, pull socks on, take a deep breath and give knee a rest before attempting other foot.
Shoes - one foot on the 2 stair step, hold breath again and tie as quickly as possible, take deep breath for next shoe as per socks. 8)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

On a good day, that's about right. But slower. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Laserjones wrote:Okay, after all the bashing I'd like to return to business (and express my deep respect to the Mixcraft team for its great work and to Greg for staying professional and polite here).

I just played around with the display scaling options of Windows 10, and after setting the scaling to 150 %, Mixcraft appeared with a reasonable size. However, the graphics and particularly the fonts appear blurry – they seem to be raster fonts, not vector fonts. The other suggested solution – reducing the overall screen resolution – results in an equally blurry appearance (this lies in the nature of TFT screens, which should always be operated at their native resolution).

So it seems that the only way to achieve a sharp display of the Mixcraft interface is returning to the native screen resolution and to 100 % scaling in Windows (or disabling the "scaling at high dpi settings" option in the compatibility settings of Mixcraft, which has the same effect).

With these settings, the height of a capital letter in the Mixcraft GUI on my 17" FullHD laptop screen is as little as 1.2 mm (1/20 of an inch)! So we only have the choice between tiny and blurry. I think everyone can agree that this is an actual problem.
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll pass it along.

But just to be clear, we're not adding any new features to Mixcraft 8.0 at this point. We need to focus on fixing bugs and releasing it.

Greg
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

I know it's all dependent on where you guys are with beta testing, but --

Black Friday sure would be a fantastic time to see the Mixcraft 8 upgrade offer pop up in my mailbox.... :wink: :shock: :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Stress levels are high.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Well, all righty then. Next Thursday will just have to do. :lol:

-h