Something to check out - 32-bit VSTs in 64-bit Mixcraft

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

Acoustica Greg

Something to check out - 32-bit VSTs in 64-bit Mixcraft

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

As of build 375, 64-bit Mixcraft 8 has improved memory management of 32-bit plugins. Has anybody noticed a difference with projects that have lots of 32-bit VSTs?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Re: Something to check out - 32-bit VSTs in 64-bit Mixcraft

Post by Acoustica Greg »

I just loaded Mixcraft 7's "All Together Now" example project into 64-bit Mixcraft 8 and 64-bit Mixcraft 7 and there's a clear improvement in CPU usage with build 375. Mixcraft 8 was in the 20% range most of the time, with a few peaks in the low 30% range and Mixcraft 7 64-bit was hanging around in the upper 30% low 40% range a lot (around the 3rd chorus marker in the song).
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

On my ever-aging system, the 64-bit build is still iffy to the point where I don't even try to use it. I have even tried sticking to 64-bit plug-ins, but it seems that there is always something, and my favorite slap-it-on-everything compressor is 32-bit.

Even with strict adherence to 64-bit plugs, the 64-bit build doesn't play as nice on my system as the 32-bit.

I have a couple of RAM sticks on the way that will take my system from 6G to 8G, so maybe that will help. Once I get them, I will thrash the 64-bit build and see how it goes.

One question: does the wrapper run in its own space, utilizing the multiple core abilities of Windows 7? I'm still kind of unsure about plug-ins in general, whether they get their own world to run in or are in the same one as the host.
-Erik
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Starship Krupa wrote:One question: does the wrapper run in its own space, utilizing the multiple core abilities of Windows 7? I'm still kind of unsure about plug-ins in general, whether they get their own world to run in or are in the same one as the host.
Good Question Erik (so I've quoted it here, so it doesn't get lost)

This sounds like a promising development Greg. I was surprised to find I could run a file with 17 instances of Krali K1Ks in the 64 bit version this morning. I had put it down to the plugin, but I suspect it could be down to the enhancements, now that you mention it. Great work guys. Well done. :)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's my understanding that each track runs in its own processing thread and the processing threads are divided up among multiple cores if they are available.

Greg