Well, that kind of settles it about the 64-bit builds, go buy an nVidia card

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

Starship Krupa

Well, that kind of settles it about the 64-bit builds, go buy an nVidia card

Post by Starship Krupa »

All of that crap, the arguments with the troll, the wailing and gnashing of teeth in the forum, it all came down to the stupid video card I was using.

When I was putting together a DAW system a few years ago, a friend had donated his old ATI 5770 card, which we thought was better for what I was doing, given that it had two DVI outs on it and wasn't that far off from having been a decent 3-D sled.

I never do any 3-D gaming. What I do with my computer is all 2-D. Photo editing, video editing, DAW work with Mixcraft. So we thought the ATI would if anything be overkill.

Now I recently upgraded from a Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz system with 8G of RAM, which was fartsville with 64-bit Mixcraft, to an i7 3.4GHz system which was still....fartsville with 64-bit Mixcraft.

Smelling a...rat, I threw my ancient nVidia Quadro FX3400 card into the system, and while Windows gives it a measly 2.0 rating to the ATI's 7.2, Mixcraft goes like a bat out of hell with the thing, and not only that, everything on the screen is easier to read and looks better. And no more audio tearing with the 64-bit build, even with a project full of 32-bit plug-ins.

I repeat, no more audio tearing in the 64-bit build. Just because I switched out an ATI video card for a comparatively ancient nVidia card. Right now I am playing a project that would go brAAAAAPPP at 8ms latency, and I have my interface set at 2ms latency and it is as smooth as silk. I don't know if I want to jump for joy or punch a wall or what.
-Erik
Acoustica Greg

Re: Well, that kind of settles it about the 64-bit builds, go buy an nVidia card

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Wow, that's interesting. It turned out to be the video after all.

This is why I'm always recommending gaming computers to people who are looking for a new PC.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Starship Krupa

Re: Well, that kind of settles it about the 64-bit builds, go buy an nVidia card

Post by Starship Krupa »

Thing is, the video card I had was a hand-me-down from what had been a halfway decent gaming system.

And the common wisdom is that for DAW work, the weakest 3-D card is overkill for 2-D work, but I am starting to think that that is not true.

My new belief is that nVidia, with their Quadro stuff aimed specifically at the workstation market, is better at 2-D performance than other manufacturers, specifically AMD.

Also, even with the antique that I have in here, plug-ins that I had to strain to see the details on are crystal clear with the older nVidia card vs. the 4-year newer ATI 3-D gaming card.

Anyway, I just ordered a fanless nVidia Quadro NVS300 card, which was originally designed for heavy duty workstation and digital signage use. $15 shipped from eBay, and I will report on how it plays with Mixcraft.

If you want an AMD 3-D card for performance testing I know where you can get one for free!

I'm an nVidia man for the foreseeable future, as I was before this friend gave me his swoopy hand-me-down 3-D card.

(dang, everything is so CLEAR with this old thing in here, too)
-Erik
KStech

Post by KStech »

That swoopy hand-me-down card that was given for free, was probably just that..."swoopy" as in defective, and was free to get rid of it. I use an ATI 5770 in my main system for years and it out-performs anything else i've used.
Mixcraft blazes on it, and i see no reason to change it, for now.
I am curious however on your report on the Quadro NVS300 card.
:arrow: :?:
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I bought a cheap nVidia GeForce GT710 on the strength of this. It's crap. Maybe the old cards are better. They'd need to be.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Ian Craig wrote:I bought a cheap nVidia GeForce GT710 on the strength of this. It's crap. Maybe the old cards are better. They'd need to be.
My apologies, then. Seems I had a lemon ATI card, or just a bad driver installation, or heaven knows what, but switching over to an nVidia card really did cure the latency ills I had been having.

Same story with the NVS300. Although I now suspect that a good AMD card would also have cured the problem.
-Erik