Sound tab question

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

Starship Krupa

Sound tab question

Post by Starship Krupa »

I'm trying to get more understanding of something that I originally entered as a bug.

Now I'm not 100% sure if it is one, and if it is, I think I can characterize it better or maybe turn it into an enhancement request.

The feature is the Sound Tab, when using it to edit an audio clip.

There are three parameters that pertain to my question, Offset, Loop Start, and Loop End.

For instance, I have a clip of me playing a little funk guitar phrase. "Chank-a-chank." When I recorded that phrase, there was amp hum, pick noise, finger squeak, whatever on either side of it and during it.

That's fine, Mixcraft has a Sound tab with a tool to get rid of the amp hum during it, and I can edit the clip and bring in the edges to trim off the pick noise on either side....at least I think I can.

When I try, I can move the Loop Start and Loop End markers in, but nothing happens to the clip up in the track itself. So there must be a command to "commit" my changes to the clip up in the timeline....

There's a right click command for Reset Crop to Loop, but I can't find it in the manual and when I execute it, the clip jumps over to the original Offset point rather than staying in place. By this I mean it uses the new loop start as the crop point but still uses the old Offset point, so it winds up out of sync, playing too early on the timeline. Not useful at all for what I want to do.

If Reset Crop to Loop is the command I'm looking for to commit my changes, I'd like for there to be some way to automatically update the Offset point so that the clip's audio doesn't move out of place along the timeline. Maybe a checkbox for "update Offset when resetting crop to loop" or whatever.

(I think the math would be to add the original Offset time to the difference between the old and new Loop Start times?)

I hope this makes sense. If not, please ask and I will try to clarify.
-Erik
Acoustica Greg

Re: Sound tab question

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In Mixcraft 8, I would adjust the loop markers, then hit Ctrl+W to get "Mix to New Clip." This would give me a new clip that matches the loop points on the sound tab.

It's not working that way in Mixcraft 9, and I think that's definitely a bug.

What's the bug number on the one you filed? I'm having trouble searching it up.

Edited to add: I created bug 11536 for the "mix to new clip/loop marker" problem.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Will be fixed in 435.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Acoustica Greg wrote: In Mixcraft 8, I would adjust the loop markers, then hit Ctrl+W to get "Mix to New Clip." This would give me a new clip that matches the loop points on the sound tab.

It's not working that way in Mixcraft 9, and I think that's definitely a bug.

What's the bug number on the one you filed? I'm having trouble searching it up.

Edited to add: I created bug 11536 for the "mix to new clip/loop marker" problem.
The original bug I filed wasn't clear enough because I didn't understand what I was doing. I'm just going to close it, and I'll comment on your new one if I have anything to add if that's okay.

I can't find either "Mix To New Clip" or "Reset Crop To Loop" in the documentation.

I was just guessing at how it was supposed to work. Is "Mix To New Clip" a destructive operation?

What is "Reset Crop To Loop" for and how is it supposed to behave? Are these commands in the help file and I just can't find them?

I was looking for an operation to just pull in the crop edges. "Reset Crop To Loop" sounds like it would do that, but it also makes it slide over to the left.
-Erik
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mix To New Clip is just the Ctrl-W merge command, but you've only got one clip selected. It bounces to a new clip based on your loop points and/or cropping.

Reset Crop to Loop comes in handy if you accidentally lopped off to much of a loop, or dragged the end of the clip too far. It will return the crop to the loop setting.

This is all broken in Mixcraft 9 right now (fixed in build 435), but try it in Mixcraft 8: drag the left side of an audio clip to the right, then try the Reset Crop command. Or cut off the end of an audio clip and try it.

Set Loop to Crop will move the loop markers depending how how the audio clip is cropped.

Greg