Video rendering bugs

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

leighm

Video rendering bugs

Post by leighm »

Also sent to Betazoid with MediaInfo attachments.

Compaq Presario
WinXP Pro Service Pack 3 with all updates
Mobile AMD Athlon XP2400+
1 gig ram (nominal 960 MB)
1.8 GHZ (nominal 1.79 GHZ)

Disclaimer: NOT a video engineer!

VIDEO: Loading an AVI made my DivX codec (unregistered) go berserk until the video file fully loaded (about 3 minutes for a 3:28 min AVI video, 29 megabyte, 640x360 16:9).

The DivX icon in my task bar couldn't figure out whether to show or not and kept cyclng... Unlike ffmpeg, xvid, etc, there is very little user control over DivX functions. Once it's installed there's no apparent way to keep it from responding when AVIs are loaded in a player or editor.

When I reopened the project, Mixcraft locked up and my cpu hung at 100%... the DivX icon never showed on the task bar (perhaps because the AVI nevr loaded... see below), and when the task manager finally found enough cpu cycles to show itself (task bar went away too, but returned without loss of task bar icons or processes) I noted two mixcraft applications running in the Application tab of the manager... The Mixer (tagged 'not responding') and another unnamed mixcraft application. The process manager only showed one process however (I'm making the assumption that the un-named app was the file loading routine but what do I know...)

When I did a mixdown with an unlinked time-skewed track (and I was unable to figure out how to re-link it... the track icon never returned even when I slid the audio track back to 'zero'), the HiQ AVI file was rendered uncompressed with a WAV audio file which made the file size almost double the original. This IS 'master' AVI quality I guess, but VirtualDub nor VLC player would recgnize either Hi or Lo quality (also uncompressed with WAV audio) outputs as an AVI file, but VLC DID recognize the audio.

VLC's error message: VLC can't recognize the input's format:
The format of 'C:\Documents and Settings\LEIGH\Desktop\Test video_lowQ.avi.txt' cannot be detected. Have a look at the log for details.

VLC thinks the video output is a text file.

VirtualDub's info panel showed No Key Frames, No Delta Frames. No Go.

I derived a WMV file as well... Windows Media Player attmpted to play it but would not sync. If I moved the time slider, I would hear a bli of audio, but neve saw video... VLC thinks the WMV is a text file too.

Hope this helps... as I said at the top "Disclaimer: NOT a video engineer!"
acana007

Post by acana007 »

I just tried to import a mpg video file and i get an error "Unsupported Video Codec" "This file appears to use a video codec that isn't installed on your system. Mixcraft was only able to load the audio stream"

Sent to batazoid

here is the info on my video file

FILE_NAME the cranberries - promises.mpg
FILE_NAME_WITH_PATH C:\srt_test\the cranberries - promises.mpg
FILE_SIZE 36,099,610
CONT_AUDIO_STREAM_COUNT 1
CONT_BASETYPE MPEG (.MPG/.MPEG/.VOB)
CONT_BYTES_MISSING
CONT_INTERLEAVE_ALIGN
CONT_INTERLEAVE_PRELOAD
CONT_INTERLEAVE_TIME
CONT_SUBTYPE