Open Collaboration Project, or just for fun project.

Looking to collaborate with somebody on a Mixcraft project? This the place! Please be mindful of others' privacy and be careful what you post in the public thread.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Mark Bliss

Open Collaboration Project, or just for fun project.

Post by Mark Bliss »

Ok folks, lets try something here and see if we cant have some fun and learn something!

Rough mix, no tricks, no effects, just a simple three track project, drums, bass and rhythm guitar. 12 Bar I-IV-V blues shuffle, real basic stuff.

Play along for practice. Replace or add parts. Use it as a template of sorts for your own song project. Record your track and submit it in return and if we collect enough, we could have some remix fun! Whatever you want, wide open. Have some fun.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dl14bbaqbuurx8b/dCXFV-7_U9

*NOTES: Updated 1/31
The original rhythm tracks are in the folder marked START HERE.
Alternatively, heres an MP3 version of the backing track:
https://soundcloud.com/mbliss01/12-bar- ... king-track
If using the MP3 version, note that I have added a metronome intro for 1-1/2 bars to help synch things up. Please copy and paste the first bar into the beginning of your tracks before rendering and sharing. It makes thinks much quicker for me when I add them to the project.

If you use the Dropbox project file, I suggest you open the .MX6 project, rename and "save as-" so the project is saved to your Mixcraft projects folder locally.

If you upload your track or tracks to share, please let me know via the Mixcraft Collab thread:
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 23&t=14919
Or PM me, thats fine. Then I can add the tracks to the project.

If you create your own project from any of the tracks and wish to share the project files, you need to open a Drop Box account and install the app. (Free and easy.) https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIyO ... rc=global9
Be sure to RENAME your project, SAVE TO FOLDER, and drop a copy of the project folder into a Drop Box folder, and share the link.

I can set up the folder to be openly shared by any of you that use Drop Box, that way we could all access all the tracks submitted from one common place, from a link right here in the thread, and you could simply drop your project file folder into the Mixcraft shared project folder as I have done with Tom's as an example.
But it requires sharing e-mail addresses. I DO NOT RECOMMEND PUBLICLY POSTING IT ON THE FORUM! But if you have Drop Box installed, and wish to participate in this way I will attempt to set it up, just PM me your e-mail address and I will continue to figure this out! (I think? Still learning!)

Couple of minor changes. I have changed the filing of the project, and the link has changed.

And I realized we do have to have a few basic rules to start with:

One, if submitting a project, be sure to RENAME your project. If we don't, we will end up with an unusable mess.

Second, by submitting tracks, or projects, you accept that others may use your files anyway they wish in their own projects. If you don't want that, you can still use the START HERE project files as you wish, create whatever you wish, and just post to Soundcloud or whatever other service you might use. No problem!

Also, I am open to suggestions on making this idea work as smooth as possible. Please join in and lets MAKE SOME NOISE together!

PS, there's some more info/discussion in another thread here:
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... =4&t=14920
But I am trying to keep most of the discussion right here in the collaborations thread.
Last edited by Mark Bliss on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Re: Open Collaboration Project, or just for fun project.

Post by outteh »

Great idea! Any rules or is this open forum go for it? :lol:
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Go for it Tom, its whatever you want. Lets learn something together and have some fun!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

Posted a link on the other post, here it is again.

BlissSounds Project Dropbox link
outteh

Post by outteh »

OK! Now I'm getting carried away. I put this aside and sat down to watch some TV. Went outside for a cig and the words and tune flew into my head. So here's a second version with vocals and blues harp. I promise I'll leave it alone so others can participate. :lol: :) :)

BlissSounds Project (2nd Version Blues Harp and Vocals (Shades of Early Rolling Stones) 8)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

No problem Tom! Get carried away. Your efforts so far have been inspiring to say the least! Way to hit the road running on this! Keep it going!

But a reminder to anyone interested. You don't have to go all out like Tom did. Just one little recorded track is fine too! 8)

Couple of minor changes. Re-read the original post. I have changed the filing of the project, and the link has changed. I added Tom's project for an example of my idea on how we might do this. I also added a text doc with some notes on sharing. Also, I am open to suggestions on making this idea work as smooth as possible. Please join in and lets MAKE SOME NOISE together!

Note: Tom- I didn't do anything but lower the main level a little, it was clipping severely as presented. May still a little, but that's ok for now. and I saved the project to a folder, renamed it and added it to the Drop Box shared project folder. Your folder had some extra files, looks like extra takes, etc. that I didn't leave in the project folder, didn't want to make it too complex and confuse people.......

And I realized we do have to have two rules to start with:

One, be sure to RENAME your project. If we don't, we will end up with an unusable mess.

Second, by submitting tracks, or projects, you accept that others may use your files anyway they wish in their own projects. If you dont want that, you can still use the START HERE project files as you wish, create whatever you wish, and just post to Soundcloud or whatever other service you might use. No problem!

(Tom, I might just steal some of those extra harp licks for a future project. They came out pretty awesome!)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

Open to playing harp on anyone's creation! :lol:
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Well, I've looked at this numerous times and everything I try just comes back to Tom's rendition .. I certainly can't improve on that. Well done Tom :)
And thanks Mark for taxing my brain cell ;)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
outteh

Post by outteh »

No further takers on this? :D
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

Let's do it!
Last edited by bbdrmz on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
outteh

Post by outteh »

There has got to be other takes/methods to be used on this simple progression. Tempo change, rock theme, or a different lead or instrument part? Throw my parts out and create your own version of the country theme. We might find that mixing in different parts from different players can produce a greater whole. Try it!!!!!! I'm really interested in hearing other efforts on this, even if it's just replacing the guitar or pano parts with something else. You can even take out the harmonica and put in a fiddle or pedal steel guitar! :lol:
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

outteh wrote:No further takers on this? :D
I think you killed 'em Tom! :shock:
outteh wrote:There has got to be other takes/methods to be used on this simple progression. Tempo change, rock theme, or a different lead or instrument part? Throw my parts out and create your own version of the country theme. We might find that mixing in different parts from different players can produce a greater whole. Try it!!!!!! I'm really interested in hearing other efforts on this, even if it's just replacing the guitar or piano parts with something else. You can even take out the harmonica and put in a fiddle or pedal steel guitar! :lol:
Yeah, that's what I hoped for too. Maybe someone would throw a replacement drum track out there, multi tracked even. Someone would play a replacement bass track.... (Trevor?) A few of our guitar slinging regulars would toss out some riffs from jamming along...... Etc, and we would have a bunch of misc. stuff to play around with. And there's still plenty of time, no rush.

And for the record, I intend to return to this when I have a little time to see what I can throw out there. Maybe a lo-fi cigar box guitar riff, a piano rhythm or something. Whatever comes to mind. I even had passing thoughts of attempting to sing along with Toms vocal. Now THAT might not be pretty!

But yeah, this is meant for fun and practice, and in the end I might mix something from what we gather, and would invite others to do the same, see what we come up with! And as I previously mentioned, if theres interest we can do something similar again, I'll throw up a more complicated project to molest if anyone cares to. But also as I have stated, I've tried this thing before and a bunch of people are excited and say "we should do that!" but then, nearly no one participates.

But thanks Tom, glad to hear you see the bigger picture! Put some more jams up! I love it!

And oh, if no one really noticed. Tom wrote and submitted his own song here, just supplied it in pieces...... Congrat's buddy!
I think it was in reality his first (at least here) public submission of an original song, which was soon followed by his second, over in the user submission thread......... Toms making us look bad. Good on you Tom! (Have I mentioned lately, we are awesome!) 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

Thanks Mark. :D :oops: I just think stuff like this is as chance for us all to explore our capabilities in a freindly fashion. Now, I know I took the easy route on my effort right out of the gate and simply kept in theme with an old blues progression - BUT - I will stretch the ol' imagination and try something different with this again. I need a bottle of Crown, 2 packs of cigs, a Dobro and my wife hollering at me to get off the computer and come to supper. :lol: That's when I usually get the the best thoughts. :) Come in gang - join in!

P.S. Yes you can sing along with my take - it needs some backup or what would be really cool is a harmony duet (ala Everly Brothers). :lol:
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

Ok, you got me... After all, who doesn't love da blues! Give me a bit and I'll do a drum track. It is pretty good already, but I'll participate for collaboration sake.
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
outteh

Post by outteh »

Great! Now for some others? :D