Is there some consensus about file sharing?

Looking to collaborate with somebody on a Mixcraft project? This the place! Please be mindful of others' privacy and be careful what you post in the public thread.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

AHornsby

Is there some consensus about file sharing?

Post by AHornsby »

I've been wondering about file sharing on a collaboration and have managed to upload a file into DropBox. Is there some consensus as to a preferred file sharing program or protocol? I know Google Plus has such a feature (as I have downloaded wav files) and there's been some reference to Soundcloud as having some type of sharing feature but i want to share a zipped MC file (*.mx7).

In any case, could someone just attempt to download my mx7 file and see if it'll work for you? Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ueu43hpcsinou ... n.zip?dl=0

(It's an unfinished mix for a movie in my own mind... use it as you see fit if you want. )
freightgod

Re: Is there some consensus about file sharing?

Post by freightgod »

Yup it works.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Any file sharing that doesn't renquire logging in or joining to "get" the file is fine. :D
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

Ahornsby,

What fid you use to 'zip' the file?
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

CRAZY6STRINGS wrote:Ahornsby,

What fid you use to 'zip' the file?
I'm not sure which file you refer to but usually I create a compressed folder in WIN 7 and just drop the file in there. I do that instead of sending fully rendered files, e.g. *.wav files.
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

Thank you I just wondered which zipper you were using.

Is there that much collaborating going on in the forum?
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

CRAZY6STRINGS wrote:Thank you I just wondered which zipper you were using.

Is there that much collaborating going on in the forum?
Apparently not much. It may be because folks don't know how, e.g., Moi. There is an online service called Drop Box that gives 2 Gigs for free, to transfer files back and forth. If you tell them I (Arrion) referred you, then you'll get 2.5.

We've just been posting raw files (and they open right into MC) but I can see a reason why zipping files with password protection could be useful, especially with non-copyrighted materials.

I'd bet that DB, like Facebook, is Fed friendly... especially since they offer "cloud" storage. They can figure out who is doing something sinister like downloading the latest Snoop Doggy medley of his hit.
CrazyLarry

Post by CrazyLarry »

I like to use MediaFire. It also has a free service. Upload a file there and it will create a link to the file which you can then copy the link to your clipboard and then use your email program to send the link to someone. There is also a sharing of the file but I don't use that function very often.
When they receive the link all they have to do is click on it. I just finished this video for a couple of friends. Just click on the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/4rm1l87x ... ay2_07.wmv
CrazyLarry 8)
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

CrazyLarry wrote: Just click on the link.
Did you click on it? It' s showing a deleted file.

Any website that forces a Facebook cookie onto a users computer is mawkish, to say the least. -h
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, the Mediafire thing has been around a while and is popular with some, but I personally find it a little too social media integrated and find it too require a few too many hoops to jump through. I'm too old for that.

The things I like about Dropbox? First of course, generous storage size for free. Larger sizes available (as I understand it), with short term subscriptions. But most importantly, simple interface. It basically functions like an additional folder on my computer, but I can share it online.

I have few security concerns for this kind of thing. Theres not much that I share in these ways that is that desirable or would be much loss to theft.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I agree, Mark. Dropbox works.