What are your unpopular and/or controversial music opinions?

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg

marvelsferb7

What are your unpopular and/or controversial music opinions?

Post by marvelsferb7 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:19 pm

I'll start —

I find Jimi Hendrix's guitar playing to be vastly overrated, self-indulgent shock jockery. His studio output is good (not terribly moreso than his contemporaries, though), but his live work is underwhelming and much more about the show than the performance, he's certainly not the only rock star who has obsfucated his skills behind stage antics, and there's nothing actually wrong with putting on a show, but nobody calls Alice Cooper the greatest of all time.

jlouvar

Re: What are your unpopular and/or controversial music opinions?

Post by jlouvar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:42 am

marvelsferb7 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:19 pm
I'll start —

I find Jimi Hendrix's guitar playing to be vastly overrated, self-indulgent shock jockery. His studio output is good (not terribly moreso than his contemporaries, though), but his live work is underwhelming and much more about the show than the performance, he's certainly not the only rock star who has obsfucated his skills behind stage antics, and there's nothing actually wrong with putting on a show, but nobody calls Alice Cooper the greatest of all time.
Hello and welcome to the Acoustica forums.

I prefer positive topics. Have a fantastic weekend. Cheers :D
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar

Northfield.Lenox

Post by Northfield.Lenox » Sun May 03, 2020 5:59 pm

OK here's one. I read a lot of complaints on some of the music sub-reddits about artists that are manufactured, or have huge teams behind their music. "Why is Taylor Swift so popular, it's not real music!"

Well, she's talented, smart and lucky would be my guess.

And whether if takes 50 people to create a top 40 pop song, one person with a laptop or phone making a 48 minute dark ambient drone, or 3 people who have practiced jazz for 30 years playing in a live trio, it's all music and it's all real. Whether or not you enjoy it or how its made is a completely different topic.

mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm

marvelsferb7 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:19 pm
I'll start —

Agreed. Oh he was highly talented for sure, but much of what I hear I'm underwhelmed.

Music in general is in a sad state today pretty much across all genres (and don't get me started on people making up these ridiculous niche "genres" that aren't really genres at all). And while I'm not one of these "big corporations are the root of all evil" conspiracy types, in the music field I think they are largely to blame. Clearwater and the like make me ill. Not just because they don't care about the quality of the music (on the whole I don't think they ever did), but because they have all but taken over the radio stations and toss out this cookie cutter crap which is unoriginal, uninspired, and often more manufactured by whole teams of mindless drones vs truly created, going for form over substance (Brittany Spears is a poster child for this wag the dog crap). And really the public is as much to blame because they actually get into the crap. So many people are clueless about music. It's not that there aren't talented musicians out there, it's that they are buried in an avalanche of not just the big corp stations but all the internet radio and swarm of options that have diluted everything.

mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Northfield.Lenox wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:59 pm
And whether if takes 50 people to create a top 40 pop song, one person with a laptop or phone making a 48 minute dark ambient drone, or 3 people who have practiced jazz for 30 years playing in a live trio, it's all music and it's all real.
That's like looking at a moldy bologna sandwich and a top-notch freshly grilled tenderloin steak and going "it's all food and it's all real." Technically true, but...

Northfield.Lenox

Post by Northfield.Lenox » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:39 pm

"Music in general is in a sad state today pretty much across all genres"
I would tend to disagree, there is so much more music available to listen to today through so many avenues. And as for all genres do you include symphonic, classical, jazz, folk, punk, metal, chorale etc etc... or are you just talking about commercial FM radio? If so that would be such a tiny slice of whats out there that I can see how someone might think that. You might need to look harder rather then trying to rely on commercial programming. But I can tell you it was the same sentiment in the 70's and 80's when there was so much other 'better music' being created and not receiving airplay. I don't listen to FM radio much anymore, but however songs by Brittany Spears or Taylor Swift are created and with whatever eternal support and promotion, no one is going to convince me some of it's not very catchy pop music. I know many people get bitter that more 'talented ' artists don't get as much attention but again that's hardly a new phenomenon.
niche "genres" that aren't really genres at all
So there are genre police now?
a moldy bologna sandwich and a top-notch freshly grilled tenderloin steak
For me, accepting that various types of music are different, rather then better or worse has been a much more relaxing way to live.