Vocal Mic Needed

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg

slh2536

Vocal Mic Needed

Post by slh2536 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:24 am

I'm looking to buy a vocal Mic for recording into Mixcraft. Looking for a good inexpensive one on a small budget. Preferably one that comes with a windscreen in a package bundle.

JonInc

Re: Vocal Mic Needed

Post by JonInc » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:30 am

Do you have a proper audio interface with XLR inputs? If not, then your options are limited and you'll probably have to get a USB microphone.

With an audio interface, you can use a more professional microphone. I strongly recommend you do some research on microphone types/Buying your first microphone before taking the plunge.

I would personally recommend starting out with a dynamic mic in the $100 range -- for example the Shure SM58.

If you need something much more sensitive, a condenser mic is a better choice. It picks up every little noise around you. Note that this can be a major challenge if you're not that experienced in recording. Also, condenser mics require phantom power - usually supplied by your audio interface.

You mention a windscreen, but that's not very typical unless you're recording outside. A pop screen is a different matter, and is often used with condenser mics to help combat plosive sounds (Again, you really should read up on this stuff before buying anything).

trevlyns

Post by trevlyns » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:31 am

Excellent advice JonInc!
Get a genuine Shure though - Chinese copies abound at 'silly' prices :D [use a reputable dealer and steer clear of ebay]
A pop filter can be picked up for around 10 dollars/pounds/euros and would clip onto a mic stand.
Keep on trackin'

Trevor
Official OFC™ Founding Member

Win 10 64 bit; MX9 Pro; Intel quad core i-5 @ 3.30 GHz; 16 GB RAM
I started out with nothing - and still have most of it left! - Seasick Steve

Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:45 am

Everyone needs at least 1 SM-57/8.

M