The Music Industry

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg

Ianpb

The Music Industry

Post by Ianpb » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:38 pm

Here's an excellent critique of the music industry and current popular music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0wuwJBdMI

mick

Re: The Music Industry

Post by mick » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:40 am

6.02 in the vid :roll:

I've recently been following Amira Willighagen especially with Andre Rui 9 years old.
Angelina Jordan. 7 years old.
Jonathan and Charlotte. 16 and 17 years old.
And of course the fabulous Motown from the sixties, ABBA, Andy Fairweather Lowe, Chris Farlowe, and a truckload more...
Its my occasional escape to sanity. 8)

Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Since the demise of Top Of The Pops in the UK, I can't be bothered to follow the online charts based on sales of digital media. How easy it must be now to manipulate those figures with a simple sweep of a mouse.

On checking my Soundcloud page, I see that my covers get at least ten times the listens than my originals so maybe people just prefer familiarity.

If I hear an unusual voice with an individual style, I'll tend to listen to more of the performers material, currently I really like listening to George Ezra :)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud

AHornsby

Post by AHornsby » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Humorous video. I had recently met a talent agent who'd been in the trenches for a lot of years and he said that for any new talent to be able to make a living, they HAD to be able to write their own music. Plus, there are some definite truths to be sure (in the video| as there is definitely an excess of banality. As with any 'industry' though, one can easily believe that most artists start out honest enough but it's hard to stay honest when the producers themselves believe their own hype.

All in all, since we're a 'part' of the music 'industry' we know that the cream rises to the top eventually, and it's not because a handful of producers want more money, it's because those individuals are indeed endowed with an abundance of natural talent, e.g., this young woman...https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzehAf ... sp=sharing .

Since they just don't like to be upstaged by a bunch of noobs discovering themselves, they sign everybody who shows a little cheek (fore and aft) and then ride that same talent in tandem... for a percentage. :lol:

-h