Soundcloud offering free mastering

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

outteh

Soundcloud offering free mastering

Post by outteh » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:21 am

Just got an e-mail that Soundcloud is offing free mastering service with a company called Landr. Not sure if this is for paid Soundcloud account or all accounts. Haven't tried it yet as I don't have anything in the works. Someone want to give it a shot and let us know? :D

Acoustica Greg

Re: Soundcloud offering free mastering

Post by Acoustica Greg » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:36 am

Hi,

Landr was suggested here before and the person who tried it felt like it just made the mix louder. It would be interesting to see what others think.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

AHornsby

Post by AHornsby » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:17 am

My guess is that it's a trial balloon and if enough people buy into it there will also be a charge to 'master' the song... all done by cybernetic machines of course. Sorry 'bout that Bliss. :lol: -h

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:53 am

Huh? :?:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

AHornsby

Post by AHornsby » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Mark Bliss wrote:Huh? :?:
Or do you think there will be actual people mastering each track? -h

mick

Post by mick » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:28 am

:lol:

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:42 am

OK, I am not sure if this is a question or commentary, and I am left to contemplate what it has to do with me? 8)
Blubbering.gif
Blubbering.gif (237.62 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

AHornsby

Post by AHornsby » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:30 am

Would you think it possible to 'master' a recording using just an algorithm? I'm curious as to your take on it.

-h

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:50 am

Why do I feel like I am being baited into a discussion I may not want to be in..... :lol:

I've been aware of the existence of automated mastering services for some time but have zero experience or knowledge to help me form more than an uninformed opinion. (And I am only guessing Landr is probably one of those services.)
And as I have said many times, I just don't consider mastering my thing at this point in time. In general I have focused on learning about the recording and mixing end of producing, and taken the approach that I would try to tackle mastering if/when I was confident I could create songs worth mastering. Still working on that as far as I am concerned.

That's not to say I have totally blocked it out. I have read and studied some on the subject, and I follow Ian Sheppard's blog and have everything he offers short of his full training. I agree with what he teaches FWIW.
My own efforts have been nothing more than experimental. I have been focusing some time and effort of late on learning about loudness measuring tools, but still mostly with the intent of improving my skills and tools for loudness compensating reference mixes.

So back to the question, what I think......
Well first, it depends somewhat on ones interpretation of what mastering is.
It seems the common interpretation has migrated largely to achieving a level of "perceived loudness." If that was all that mattered I think I could just about write the algorithm myself. 8) Anyone paying attention knows there is more to it.

So my questions would be about the parameters the program analyses and how. Can an operator input desires of loudness, dynamic range, etc? Can a program evaluate the frequency spectrum and determine what exactly to do to get a good result?

So the question is basically what I would expect, and given that I can only guess.......
Is it possible for a program to analyse and get moderately good results? Yeah, I would suspect so. Better than I can do? Probably quite easily. Better than a skilled mastering engineer in a well equipped studio full of high end hardware? I have serious doubts we are there yet. (I am not fully convinced that premium mastering can yet be totally ITB for that matter.)

As good as the squashed and ruined music I regularly hear via popular sources? Probably already happening. :wink:

But I fall back on my opinion that home/project studio producers and hobbyists are generally far too hung up on mastering as a general rule. I consistently am encountering examples of people trying to "master" songs that need much more attention to pre-production, editing and basic mixing. Very few exceptions.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

AHornsby

Post by AHornsby » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:22 am

Mark Bliss wrote:Why do I feel like I am being baited into a discussion I may not want to be in..... :lol:
This is what I do. :)
Mark Bliss wrote: In general I have focused on learning about the recording and mixing end of producing, and taken the approach that I would try to tackle mastering if/when I was confident I could create songs worth mastering. Still working on that as far as I am concerned.
Mark Bliss wrote: So my questions would be about the parameters the program analyses and how. Can an operator input desires of loudness, dynamic range, etc? Can a program evaluate the frequency spectrum and determine what exactly to do to get a good result?

I believe so. It would probably have to be some function of what the 'average' settings for a multitude of random mixes are with no two ever being alike.
Mark Bliss wrote: (I am not fully convinced that premium mastering can yet be totally ITB for that matter.)

Mark Bliss wrote: As good as the squashed and ruined music I regularly hear via popular sources? Probably already happening. :wink:

Hence the popularity of mp3's. :wink:
Mark Bliss wrote: But I fall back on my opinion that home/project studio producers and hobbyists are generally far too hung up on mastering as a general rule. I consistently am encountering examples of people trying to "master" songs that need much more attention to pre-production, editing and basic mixing. Very few exceptions.

This is why I try to get opinions because guys like me have no experience with things like this and the heads up is appreciated. These might be the people that think an automated mastering ap would actually be worth spending some money on.

Thanks Mark. You just voiced the opinions of many of us I believe. -h