Marvel Symphonic Universe

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg

Acoustica Greg

Marvel Symphonic Universe

Post by Acoustica Greg » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Here's an interesting discussion about modern movie soundtracks:

The Marvel Symphonic Universe

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

AHornsby

Re: Marvel Symphonic Universe

Post by AHornsby » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks for this Greg. -h

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Hmm, yeah it is interesting, but....
I kind of missed the point to some degree I think. But its thought provoking.

Isn't mood inducing background soundtrack fodder supposed to do its job WITHOUT being memorable? Yes its largely forgettable background music. Not even noticeable enough that most people catch the blatant similarities until its pointed out?
Should every note of music be memorable in a soundtrack, or is it possibly sometimes distracting if that's the case?

Maybe the Marvel franchise series is so popular for reasons other than the soundtracks?
Its hard for me to say, I am familiar with a total of one. Not much of a popular movie fan really. Action=noise.
But though I remember nothing about the rest of the soundtrack, when "Iron Man" cranked up at just the right moment, I laughed hard. And it was memorable!
Worth watching again for that moment!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

chibear

Post by chibear » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:55 pm

2 separate topics here.

First is the lack of melodies.This has been discussed on various "composers'" forums under various headings like "Where have the melodies gone?" There almost inevitably the finger gets pointed at the rise of the Epic style of writing, which is easy to write, effective in small doses but pretty much inflexible and forgettable. Even the godfather of the idiom, Zimmer is tired of the style.

Second is the use of temp tracks by producers, which as was pointed out very often eliminates any originality by the composer from the equation, producing the producer's favorite soundtrack over and over and over and.....again. There is a long interview with the late James Horner concerning issues with dealing with producers, resulting in his often and frustratingly producing a product which was a lot less than he was capable of.

Personally I haven't bought a movie soundtrack album since Gladiator and usually leave the theater without a tune in my head, in spite of my professional experience and training, even BTW after hearing the 'Ringer" tune they stick at the end.
Last edited by chibear on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:19 pm

Yeah, kinda my thought too.

But background "mood" music, if successful, should really invoke emotion without noticing the song IMO, so that complaint doesn't really ring with me personally.

Using temp tracks and producers inclination to "stick to the script" shouldn't be any more surprising than composers annoyance with the loss of freedom to create. OK, shock, movie producers aren't music composers, and vice-versa.

And to the lack of memorable epic signature music that is identifiable with the movies, if it was easy to always create that, would it still be so epic and memorable? When its amazing that's great, but should that be expected every time?

Just "thinking out loud", but good movies aren't necessarily about the music, and really good music generally tells its story, or invokes the desired emotion without a screenplay......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

chibear

Post by chibear » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:01 pm

I think what is being mourned (I know I 'm there) is the absence of even any attempt at a Gesamtkunstwerk type of marriage of arts. In such a scenario background "mood" music, while not dominating your perceptions at the time would still be able to "stand on its own" artistically when separated from the video and may even arise from the subconscious later, especially when a similar mood would be encountered.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:23 pm

I can see that point, no disagreement. And the average quality of both media has certainly suffered some degradation over time IMO.

I'm just not sure the union has to ALWAYS be expected to be so grand, that's all. That expectation sets a pretty high bar.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

chibear

Post by chibear » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:42 am

Ya, well I've often been accused of OCD in my approach to the arts. However when you have a film budget that rivals the GDP of a small country, I would expect the bar to be pretty high, indeed, much higher than we are experiencing lately.
Soundcloud YouTube

chibear

Post by chibear » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:05 am

This is also being discussed on a few other forums. On one this interview with Frank Zappa was posted. Kind of relevant here and he was bleeped enough that it probably would satisfy a PG rating. :lol:

https://youtu.be/KZazEM8cgt0
Soundcloud YouTube