Rode M3 question

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

RobertAllan

Rode M3 question

Post by RobertAllan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:20 am

Hey. Dont know if anyone can help out here, but i have a quite basic question about using my Røde m3 condencer microphone for vocals. I have it setup same way as any mic really with the "tip" facing pop-filter then me as i sing. with pics of others using it (not for vocals) it seems people use it in different ways (different angles) does anyone know if the "normal" way is the best way with these mics or if i should flip it so the tip is facing upwards instead? figure if i know if im doing something "wrong" i might be able to make cleaner recordings..

RobertAllan

Anorax

Re: Rode M3 question

Post by Anorax » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:37 pm

From what I can tell, the Røde M3 is a mic that should be used in the "normal" way for mics. This is a cardioid condenser mic so the mic can pick up sound from any direction that's towards the metal grill end, but the strongest signal will come from sources that the mic tip is pointed at.

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:46 pm

The M3 is a little unusual as compared to the typical condenser mic, in that it is configured as an "end address" cartridge, much like a conventional dynamic.

Though I would still always experiment with position and distance, mostly you would aim it at the source, with the exception perhaps being for vocals- I would try having a vocalist sing "across" the mic a bit in an effort to moderate sibilants and plosives. JMO.
But yeah, aim it straight at a cymbal and let er' sizzle.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Anorax wrote:From what I can tell, the Røde M3 is a mic that should be used in the "normal" way for mics. This is a cardioid condenser mic so the mic can pick up sound from any direction that's towards the metal grill end, but the strongest signal will come from sources that the mic tip is pointed at.
Yeah..I was reading the manual and theres a pic of how it absorbs sound and i didnt get any smarter,lol as it captures sound from any angle (which is prolly why people use it in all kinds of angles,lol) Thanks :)
Mark Bliss wrote:The M3 is a little unusual as compared to the typical condenser mic, in that it is configured as an "end address" cartridge, much like a conventional dynamic.

Though I would still always experiment with position and distance, mostly you would aim it at the source, with the exception perhaps being for vocals- I would try having a vocalist sing "across" the mic a bit in an effort to moderate sibilants and plosives. JMO.
Just to clarify..DO you mean you would keep mic as is and have me (the vocalist in this case,yikes!) Try to sing across it rather then into it for the lack of a better description, or do you mean you would flip it and try to sing across it that way?

RobertAllan

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:50 pm

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "flip it" but generally:
Even though a mic may be configured to pick up in an "Omnidirectional" pattern, it is likely to be more sensitive to some degree to sounds aimed directly at its diaphragm or cartridge.
Mic's are extra sensitive to sounds that contain "bursts of pressure" such as "P's" sometimes "B's" etc. so angling the mic a little so you aren't aiming the sound right at the mic's most sensitive direction helps naturally balance those. It can also help suppress those dominant "S's" and "C's" a bit.
With any mic, experimenting and testing position and distance is important for "fine tuning" the result IMO.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Anorax

Post by Anorax » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:54 pm

I made a really long post, with drawings, and then right when I clicked "Submit," I'm informed Mark beat me to the punch by two minutes. Still gonna post it.

RobertAllan wrote:
Anorax wrote:From what I can tell, the Røde M3 is a mic that should be used in the "normal" way for mics. This is a cardioid condenser mic so the mic can pick up sound from any direction that's towards the metal grill end, but the strongest signal will come from sources that the mic tip is pointed at.
Yeah..I was reading the manual and theres a pic of how it absorbs sound and i didnt get any smarter,lol as it captures sound from any angle (which is prolly why people use it in all kinds of angles,lol) Thanks :)
Simple rule for mics that my professors tell us: if it fits in a standard microphone clip, then you use it like a "traditional" microphone (which is how the normal everyday person thinks all microphones are used—the "normal" way, where the tip of the mic is the "front"). If, however, the mic has it's own stand or shock mount or whatever (AKG 414, Blue Yeti, Blue Baby Bottle, etc), then whatever part of the mic has the logo is the "front" of the mic.
RobertAllan wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote:The M3 is a little unusual as compared to the typical condenser mic, in that it is configured as an "end address" cartridge, much like a conventional dynamic.

Just to clarify..DO you mean you would keep mic as is and have me (the vocalist in this case,yikes!) Try to sing across it rather then into it for the lack of a better description, or do you mean you would flip it and try to sing across it that way?
Here's the Rode M3's polar pattern:
not to scale, at all
not to scale, at all
rode m3 polar pattern on mic.jpg (92.4 KiB) Viewed 10697 times
This just means that the Rode M3 picks up sound better coming from the front. This is a "cardioid" pattern which is a fancy way of saying that this mic is a one-direction mic.
This is what Mark's talking about:
rode m3 sing across mic.jpg
rode m3 sing across mic.jpg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 10697 times
If you've got a pop filter, then you can probably point the mic right at your teeth and pronounce your powerful syllables right into the mic without a problem (which would be the red arrow and red glow around it). If you don't then it would be best to sing at the angle of the green arrow+glow. This way, the popping and hissing sounds that come from plosives (the name for the strong movements of air that come from pronouncing Ps, Ks, and Ss) aren't entering the mic directly—plosives move in a very straight line (the arrow itself) while your voice moves in a general direction (the glow/fan/ray/whatever you want to call it). By singing at a slight angle "across" the mic, this strong air movement (green arrow) doesn't enter the mic and cause extra popping and hissing noise, but your voice (green glow) still does.

too long; didn't read: Do what Mark says and experiment with mic placement. With trial and error, you'll learn what does and doesn't work with the mics you have.

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:10 pm

There ya go, good info and helpful diagrams Aaron. That helps I think! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Thanks a million! Very well explained i think :D I have a pop-filter, but mayhaps try to sing in a slight angle anyways just to see how that works.. Thanks! This helps alot i think :D

*btw with "flipping it" i meant if i should keep normal way or flip it so the tip is facing upwards or downwards, seems people do that with certain mics aswell*

RobertAllan

Anorax

Post by Anorax » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:45 am

RobertAllan wrote: *btw with "flipping it" i meant if i should keep normal way or flip it so the tip is facing upwards or downwards, seems people do that with certain mics aswell*
That's usually done to get the best sound possible for the mic. Again, trial and error.

RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:03 am

Anorax wrote:
RobertAllan wrote: *btw with "flipping it" i meant if i should keep normal way or flip it so the tip is facing upwards or downwards, seems people do that with certain mics aswell*
That's usually done to get the best sound possible for the mic. Again, trial and error.
Hence why i asked :) Thanks, i guess most is trial and error :)