Stupid? Accoustic guitar question

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

RobertAllan

Stupid? Accoustic guitar question

Post by RobertAllan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:10 pm

I have a buddy who has a classical nylon guitar that you can plug into an amp, Its been a while since i played/recorded with nylon guitars so started thinking it might be fun to try it for a song. The only problem is..i quickly noticed the tone sounding very thin and not really as round and carrying as when i play it without plugin it in. I dont know why and dont really care,lol
I dont have it here anymore but if i find a solution im sure i can borrow it again, basically my question is something like this..

What i want is just simply to make it sound fuller or richer if that makes sense? Just wanna add some warmth etc.. without having it sound like its full of "effects". I have amplitube4 and guitarrig 5 and i did try a bit while he was here to find a solution but not really sure what im looking for,lol i tried the "Accoustic simulator" from Amplitube, and tried a few reverb things on guitar rig.. I think what im looking for is either a virtual amp for accoustic instruments, like they sell amps (psysically) that are made for accoustic instruments, does something like that exist as a plugin/virtual amp?
Or any other suggestions as too what to do? You have a recording that sounds thin and tiny and want it to sound rich and warm? lol dont know if im making sense or if anyone can help, but worth a shot :D

RobertAllan

Mark Bliss

Re: Stupid? Accoustic guitar question

Post by Mark Bliss » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi Robert,

Not stupid.
It would help to know a little more about the guitar in question. What kind of pickup it has and does it have a preamp?

But in general, guitars like that often use some pretty poor pickup technology, and either have no preamp, or when they do have one, its also often pretty bad.

One common pickup design is a piezo rod under the saddle of the bridge. This design can range from very poor to fairly good, but the thing to keep in mind is that it often is intended to supplement the acoustic sound via an amplifier, not replace it entirely.
Additionally acoustic guitar preamps, if there even is one, range from very economical and alarmingly low quality, to some pretty nice gear. Again, generally never intended for use as a DI output.

On the other end of the spectrum, there is some pretty nice gear, often costing as much for the pickup system as an economical acoustic guitar costs by itself. Even then, Used for DI by itself might not be as satisfying as hoped.

The first suggestion at minimum might be to try a quality active DI box designed for the purpose.

But honestly, for me I think the best middle of the road option includes a microphone. You could of course also try a blend.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

RobertAllan

Re: Stupid? Accoustic guitar question

Post by RobertAllan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Thanks Mark. I dont have much info on the guitar, started thinking about it last night when i was making
this topic. to be honest he could have baught it from someone who make the mic-thing him/her self, or its a factory thing,
hell, maybe it sounds awesome through the right amp,lol all i know is i had fun playing it and as it had a option to plug in i did, i plugged it right into my scarlet solo and opened mixcraft and wanted to record something cool.
Didnt even think about using my microphones to do the job, maybe it was just the fact that i had the option to plug it right in and wanted to take advantage of that. Honestly with my own instruments i dont mind spending tidious hours making something sound good, but when i borrowed it just while he was here it felt "wrong" to spend too much time on it,lol
If i borrow it again im prolly just gonna record whatever using my mic and work from there, i imagine if i have an actual recording i can do some magic if patient enough. In frustration i deleted everything i recorded so..we live we learn,lol

RobertAllan