Acoustica cd-label-maker ~ guidance?

Support and feedback for Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

kr236rk

Acoustica cd-label-maker ~ guidance?

Post by kr236rk »

Hi,

Have spent the entire evening trying to design for and print on just one cd. My Canon software won't allow me to add my own images to my design and my Serif software - though great - is useless for cd roundel accuracy. I suddenly saw mention of an Acoustica solution - Acoustica is also is my DAW software :)

Will 'Label-Maker' save the day (now early next day) for me - is there anything I should know before downloading it? Will it be compatible with Windows 7 or 10 and will it work with my cd printing printer please?

Thanks,
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper
AHornsby

Re: Acoustica cd-label-maker ~ guidance?

Post by AHornsby »

Some companies like Avery, also have available their own proprietary CD printing software specifically tuned for their labels. There's a reason they have CD printing software and that's because their labels are expensive.

If you do a lot of labels, think about getting the Acoustics software and save a ton by purchasing the labels in bulk on EBAY.

The Acoustica software has a template library that accommodates a wide spectrum of labels including Avery.

-h
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

AHornsby wrote:Some companies like Avery, also have available their own proprietary CD printing software specifically tuned for their labels. There's a reason they have CD printing software and that's because their labels are expensive.

If you do a lot of labels, think about getting the Acoustics software and save a ton by purchasing the labels in bulk on EBAY.

The Acoustica software has a template library that accommodates a wide spectrum of labels including Avery.

-h
Thanks,

Am much more interested in ink-jet printing direct to printable cd's - will the Acoustica software support that please?
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

No, it doesn't work. The millimetre-by-millimetre positioning control is too crude, but worse is that the software tries to match the cd disc exactly with no over-bleed, and it can't do this, so you get 1/2mm of blank disc at the edge of your design, whatever you do.

Gone back to Serif, which is clumsy because the default templates don't match the Canon printer, but you get a preview window in Canon that Serif allows you to re-position with, and you can over-bleed so the entire disc gets art work.

Cannot believe that the Industry goes through these hoops to create cd art work but I have never found anything which allows you to lay down background art, type what you need over it, then click 'print'. I spend days wasting disks just trying to zero everything in by trial and error - the preview windows are so basic - you never know if you've got it just right.

Onward.
Ric

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

To print directly onto a CD or DVD, choose the name of your printer in the Paper Type setting (that appears below your label design).

If you don't see your Canon printer in the list of templates, download and install the Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker label update.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mrdhelpston

Post by mrdhelpston »

Why do you need to print right to the edge? I presume by your "1/2mm" you mean a half-millimetre not one to two
millimetres? If you check any professionally produced cd/dvd I think you'll find that they all tend to have some part of the face unprinted at the edge, and coincidentally the vast majority seem to be a half-millimetre.

Mike - UK
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

mrdhelpston wrote:Why do you need to print right to the edge? I presume by your "1/2mm" you mean a half-millimetre not one to two
millimetres? If you check any professionally produced cd/dvd I think you'll find that they all tend to have some part of the face unprinted at the edge, and coincidentally the vast majority seem to be a half-millimetre.

Mike - UK
Thanks Mike,

Sounds cool. You're right. But the fact that I consistently find an unprinted crescent means that even if I were to go for a 1mm or 1/2mm edge border it would still be off centre because the Acoustica control is hard wired into movements of 1 millimetre. If you could manually position the print area you'd have precision, even if you had to use hit'n'miss to get there. But you are locked into the millimetre-by-millimetre limitation of what is possible?
Ric

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

kr236rk wrote:Thanks Mike,

Sounds cool. You're right. But the fact that I consistently find an unprinted crescent means that even if I were to go for a 1mm or 1/2mm edge border it would still be off centre because the Acoustica control is hard wired into movements of 1 millimetre. If you could manually position the print area you'd have precision, even if you had to use hit'n'miss to get there. But you are locked into the millimetre-by-millimetre limitation of what is possible?
HI,

What kind of Canon printer do you have? Which template do you have selected in the Paper Type setting?

By the way, you can type a fractional value into the alignment setings, like 0.3 or whatever.

Greg
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
kr236rk wrote:Thanks Mike,

HI,

What kind of Canon printer do you have? Which template do you have selected in the Paper Type setting?

By the way, you can type a fractional value into the alignment setings, like 0.3 or whatever.

Greg
Thanks Greg,

This is a learning curve! :)

Have a Canon iP 7250 - bought it specially - and the cd disc print package it came with is useless, it will not allow the user to work with a blank template, to substitute your own art work. It is also so packed with bloatware that it takes about 20 seconds to do anything. I may hang onto the Acoustica but Serif also allows me to custom-design my own labels, whereas the Acoustica software seems to be limited by fixed templates?

The advantage of Acoustica is that it prints in a disc shape by default. With Serif you'd need to manually trim out a disc shape in a graphics program - the on-board disc templates in Serif are just guides, they don't affect the printer.
Ric

Tairus

Post by Tairus »

So that? Will there be a guide for beginners or not?
Would be good. Thanks in advance
“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan
“Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.” -Henry Ford
Stuff and being
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There are some tutorials on the Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker support page.

Greg
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Thank you :)
Ric