Lightscribe doesn't print to cd in color

Support and feedback for Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

tafman

Lightscribe doesn't print to cd in color

Post by tafman »

I just tried printing a jpg from my hard drive onto a dvd using your Label Maker and it did not print in color. It is a greenish color and you can barely see it in the background.

How do I get it to print in color on the DVD?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Lightscribe always prints in "black and white." There is no option to print in color. Go into your Lightscribe software's control panel to adjust the contrast settings.

Greg
tafman

Post by tafman »

I just got married and the videographer gave us DVD's with images from our wedding on the DVD itself (in color). How did he do it if he didn't use lightscribe? I thought that's what lightscribe burners did - burned images in color on the DVD's. Oops. That's the only reason I bought your DVD label maker - should have done a little more research first.
Peru

Post by Peru »

He probably used either a thermal or inkjet printer that prints directly onto CDs and DVDs made for that purpose.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, he must have used a printer. Look for a printer with "direct-to-CD" printing capabilities. Just like with LightSribe, you need special printable discs.

A list of supported printers is here:
Supported CD/DVD label and CD jewel case template list.

Sorry about the confusion in regard to LightScribe! One big advantage of Lightscribe is that you never run out of ink.

Greg
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

They probably used full faced printable DVDs, its what I use for everything

But you do need a special printer that can print directly onto CD's, again, not much price difference between printers from the same manufacturer that prints onto CD's or doesn't. BUT there IS a lot of difference in quality, how much ink they use and how many inks, and t he cost of replacing the ink can work out VERY expensive if you insist on using branded ink

There is not a lot of difference in price these days between non-printable and printable and the results are very professional looking

You can also buy waterproof printable discs and inks, as if you get the disc wet the ink will run, or buy special sprays that coat the ink surface with what is basically the same as car clear laquer
stevlena

Post by stevlena »

How does the economic efficiency of a laser printer compare to that of an inkjet printer? Is it worth buying buying a laser to replace my inkjet printer, with saving money on ink in mind.
Last edited by stevlena on Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Try checking these links that explain it a bit about the true differences between inkjet printers and laser printers

http://www.bondstationers.co.za/inkjet- ... mables.htm

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/t ... hp/3521141

If its nothing but balck and white printing, then a laser will be higher quality, faster and cheaper in the long term. But printing just a couple of pages will take longer as the laser printer needs time to spin up to speed where an inkjet printer is quicker at the odd few pages

But some inkjets do take a very long time to be ready to print when first switched on, and can use an awful lot of ink in the intial start up

Take into account buying printer cartridges and if you insist on original cartridges and inkjets are much more expensive

Also some printers have the print head built into the cartridge so is much more expensive to replace compared to those that have a fixed print head and you are just replacing an ink tank. HP and Lexmark favour the print head in the cartridge idea so are very expensive and wasteful

A full set of good generic compatable 6 ink cartridges for my Epson R220 is about £5-£8 depending if I buy online or locally, compared to about £15 for ONE cartridge with the Epson brand

I have tried HP, Lexmark, Canon and Epson inkjet printers over the years, the Canon was good but had major issues with paper feeding, the Lexmark is terrible for the inkjets blocking constantly if you use it infrequently and as yet my Epson R220 is the best ever. Cheap compatable inks, very good quality prints on glossy paper or white faced CD/DVDs, and with around 1000 discs printed and numerous text with essays and documents plus very high quality printing when printing photographs its hard to beat, even after 2 years ... pity they don't make it anymore and its current replacement guzzles ink and is renowned for being very very fussy what catridges it accepts, even refusing true Epson branded cartridges depending where they were made, which is why I have another R220 for when mine finally packs up