Acoustica studio drums to Jamstix 4

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rvkitch

Acoustica studio drums to Jamstix 4

Post by rvkitch »

Hi All,
I wrote a drum track using the acoustica studio drums. I then duplicated the track and opened the duplicated track. I clicked on the piano Icon of the duplicated track and set the virtual instrument to Jamstix. I then mute the original track and play the song with the Jamstix track and it sounds great, so then I'll save and shut down the computer. When I come back and open things back up, the drums are still there in the Jamstix track but there's no sound. When I click on the piano Icon it still says that Jamstix is the instrument, but then I need to re-open and re-load Jamstix on the track to get back the sound. I'm sure it has something to do with writing the drums using the acoustica drums.
Any Thoughts?
Thanks
Acoustica Greg

Re: Acoustica studio drums to Jamstix 4

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Make sure you're updated to Mixcraft 9.0 build 469, and see if there are any updates for Jamstix.

You can also check and see if there are any unwanted CC messages on the MIDI clip:

CC messages in Mixcraft 9.
CC messages in Mixcraft 9.
ccmessagesmx9.png (135.75 KiB) Viewed 1307 times

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
rvkitch

Post by rvkitch »

Thanks Greg,
Everything is up to date. The only cc message in blue is "Velocity note off". I clicked on "Velocity note on" but still no sound. It seems so simple, all I'm trying to do is play a simple kick drum track with jamstix that I wrote with the acoustica studio drums which it does until I shut down and come back to it. Maybe you can walk me through how to apply what's in the screenshot. Whoops, I guess I can't do attachments but here it is word for word:

Jamstix & 3rd party drum plugins:

The drumming A.I. of Jamstix can be used with any of your existing 3rd party drum plugins to give you maximum flexibility when it comes to picking the right drum kit/sound for your project. Depending on your DAW, you either place the 3rd party plugin behind Jamstix on the same track, set the MIDI input of the drum plugin to Jamstix or create a separate MIDI track with input=Jamstix and output=Drum plugin. Whichever way you chose, the goal is to route the MIDI output of Jamstix to the MIDI input of the drum plugin.
The second adjustment needed is the key mapping used by Jamstix so that it matches what your drum plugin expects to receive. This is done in the kit window with the output mapping specified at the end of the kit toolbar.

Thank You Again
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you've just got velocity commands in the MIDI clip when this happens, then it's not CC, unless the velocity on setting is super low.

Greg
rvkitch

Post by rvkitch »

Thanks for the reply Greg,
Unfortunately I have no idea what that means. The velocity is at 100 on the entire track. Every other 3rd party virtual instrument I use are exactly the same in the CC messages. There are no blue messages in any of them and clicking on velocity note on or off makes no difference. They just load and work. I just don't understand why I have to reload Jamstix in the track every time I close and reopen Mixcraft. I must not be saving something right. The same thing happens even when I open a new virtual instrument track with only Jamstix and nothing to do with the Acoustica Studio Drums.
Thank You
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you contacted the makers of Jamstix about this issue? Maybe they have heard from other customers about this.

Greg
rvkitch

Post by rvkitch »

I have Greg,
And they're stumped as well. I'm sure it's something so incredibly simple that they just figure even a 5 year old would've done that part right so they're passing right over the simple stuff. I don't know, just frustrating! So as long as I "CTRL+S" almost constantly I should be saving, right?
Thanks Again
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I ran into something similar with a Cabinet simulator. Even though upon reopening the saved project, the preset in the cab simulator would read as if it was selected but on playback it obviously wasn't. I had to manually reselect the preset each time. It turned out to be that the VST used relative directory selection as opposed to absolute. What that means is, the VST was looking in whatever the current directory was set by Mixcraft and not looking in the directory where the preset, IRs or its own settings were stored; and only by reselecting the preset would it sound correct until the next time I closed and reopened mixcraft.

So perhaps, Jamstix is not looking in the right directoy when mixcraft opens - all the associations get lost.
rvkitch

Post by rvkitch »

Thanks so much for the responses guys!!
I know that 99.99% (or higher) of the issue is me, so I'm giving up on Jamstix and putting it to bed for a while. Maybe when I learn more about everything "DAW", I'll try it again. But for now I'm sticking with the Acoustica Studio Drums. As I get better at mixing and editing I think I'll be able to have them sound decent.
This is an Excellent and very Helpful forum!!
Thanks Again