Trying to understand Asio!!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianoldfield

Trying to understand Asio!!

Post by Ianoldfield »

Hyer guys. I have mixcraft 8 Pro and use M-audio mk 2 interface. I have Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10. At the moment as all recording producers stumble on is LATENCY!!. So, I use at the moment the wave rt, now trying out the exclusive mode. Each time just before I use mixcraft I update my pc, clear caches, disk clean and defrag. Everything taken off task menu etc, but I still get slight problems with latency. My question is, will asio be a better option with m-audio mk 2 interface?. And if so can someone send me instructions on how to use the bloody thing properly. Many thanks
GovernmentMule

Re: Trying to understand Asio!!

Post by GovernmentMule »

Here is what I would try. Go into Sound Device Preferences and choose Asio. Then choose your M-Audio interface as the Recording In and Out device.
If it is not listed you will have to find the Asio drivers for your interface.
There will be a Buffer size parameter below that, set it to 512 for know. Record something and check out the latency. If it is unbearable set the buffer down to 256( the lower the setting the less latency, but if you go down too low it will mess your playback up depending on your computer). If the latency is alright then leave it alone.Once you find a good setting then open your biggest project up. The one with the most tracks, effects and virtual instruments. Now playback the whole song. Do you here any pops, crackles, jitters etc. If not leave your settings alone. A lot of this is dependent on your computer (processor speed, ram, etc.. You are trying to find your sweet spot.
Some people will go into their settings and lower the buffer size when recording and then raise it back up when they are playing back. That is too much for me as I'm just a hobbyist.
I've had three or four interfaces now and 512 has been my sweet spot.
Ianoldfield

Post by Ianoldfield »

Thank you so much for your help on this. Unfortunately my interface isn't recognised by Asio so maybe asio for all could work. I'm not too sure. I'm also a hobbyist but so frustrating with latency as all of us are. Lol. Thanks again
Ianoldfield

Post by Ianoldfield »

Thank you so much for your help on this. Unfortunately my interface isn't recognised by Asio so maybe asio for all could work. I'm not too sure. I'm also a hobbyist but so frustrating with latency as all of us are. Lol. Thanks again
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Have you installed drivers for your interface?

If not go here and pick out your device and install them.

https://m-audio.com/support/drivers/m-track-mkii