Crackling & Popping-Freeze?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Jimolson

Crackling & Popping-Freeze?

Post by Jimolson »

Can someone please explain what freezing a track does, where it goes, and possible applications?
I am getting crackles & pops with several midi tracks running. Helps a lot when I convert midi tracks to audio, but would like to save my midi tracks within each project. Does freezing have any better results than muting midi tracks? Thanks
GovernmentMule

Re: Crackling & Popping-Freeze?

Post by GovernmentMule »

Freezing a track is just like "mixing to a new audio track" except it does not create a new audio track. It just saves the new audio file somewhere in the project file. It also disables the virtual instrument and effects on that track.

How good is your computer? What is the specs?

You could go into your sound device preferences and set your buffer sample higher to see if that helps the playback.
Jimolson

Post by Jimolson »

Thanks Gov,
Plenty of horsepower on the computer, large SSD and Hard drive.
Converted all my midi tracks to audio and now would like to freeze the midi tracks. I want access to them for future edits, but just want to clean up the mixer channels. Where do the midi tracks get hidden & how do I retrieve them if I want them back?
Thanks again
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The MIDI info is stored in the project, but is temporarily hidden when you freeze a MIDI track (Ctrl+F). Un-freezing it (also Ctrl+F) reveals the MIDI data and removes the frozen track file from your project folder.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Jimolson

Post by Jimolson »

Thanks Greg,
The crackling & popping goes away after deleting temp files.
I do that often now
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Not sure how that would affect this problem. Some of the temp files (.mpk files) store waveform peak information about audio clips so that the audio clips will load faster after the first time. So, if you notice that it's taking a long time to load a project with lots of audio files, then it might be because you deleted the temp files. It certainly doesn't hurt anything, but just be aware of that.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101