Mixcraft 9 Skin

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg

ferez21

Mixcraft 9 Skin

Post by ferez21 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi,
I made a slightly tweaked version of the dark skin to better suit my taste, and be easier on my eyes. It's a work in progress, let me know if anyone finds it useful for them, then I will upload it.

The changes so far include:
- overall slightly lighter tones, especially the arrangement background
- the illusion of flat buttons on tracks and transport by adjusting their background tones
- less harsh muted channel texture (channels 3 and 5 in the screenshot)
- flat piano roll keys
- green piano roll notes (yellow when played)
- more obvious which track is selected by a lighter track selection tone (not visible in the photo since Mixcraft was not in focus)
- redesigned step recording button

mixcraft skin.JPG
mixcraft skin.JPG (408.73 KiB) Viewed 245 times
(right click on the photo above, the choose "open image in new tab" to see the full photo)

The uploaded photo is atrociously compressed, please ignore the artifacts and blurriness, they are not visible in the actual skin.
I made more changes but for some reason they didn't take effect, not sure why.

pbognar

Re: Mixcraft 9 Skin

Post by pbognar » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Nice. Assume you started with the dark theme - I prefer the light theme. Just saying.

ferez21

Post by ferez21 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:59 am

pbognar wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:55 pm
Nice. Assume you started with the dark theme - I prefer the light theme. Just saying.
Yeah i started off with the dark as the base, it is simply just too dark, and i also didnt like some elements like the "mute" texture, which looks like an optical illusion of the clips bending :D

Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:16 pm

ferez21 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:34 pm
Hi,
I made a slightly tweaked version of the dark skin to better suit my taste, and be easier on my eyes. It's a work in progress, let me know if anyone finds it useful for them, then I will upload it.

- the illusion of flat buttons on tracks and transport by adjusting their background tones
- flat piano roll keys
- more obvious which track is selected by a lighter track selection tone (not visible in the photo since Mixcraft was not in focus)

mixcraft skin.JPG

(right click on the photo above, the choose "open image in new tab" to see the full photo)

The uploaded photo is atrociously compressed, please ignore the artifacts and blurriness, they are not visible in the actual skin.

:roll: Your effort was great, the result in my eyes, oh well...poor. Mixcraft needs a new face and this is not exactly the way, however, it is valid your effort in trying... :oops:

ferez21

Post by ferez21 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:14 pm

Guaresneider wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:16 pm
ferez21 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:34 pm
Hi,

- flat piano roll keys

mixcraft skin.JPG

:roll: Your effort was great, the result in my eyes, oh well...poor. Mixcraft needs a new face and this is not exactly the way, however, it is valid your effort in trying... :oops:
Thanks i guess :D
It's not supposed to be an eye candy, I'm still pretty much limited by what Mixcraft allows to change, but i can confidently say that this is much much easier on the eyes and easier to work with and tell things apart, maybe the photo doesn't do it justice.

This may not be a big deal for the older users who go way back with Mixcraft, which seems to be the main demographic of the users, but it seems to be that Mixcraft has an issue attracting new younger crowds, and it's because things like that. I'm a new user, and I almost gave up on Mixcraft too just because of the interface (i admit, judged it too quickly initially), but managed to modify it to at least make it usable. I agree that they should definitely rehaul it asap.

RollingStone

Post by RollingStone » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:30 pm

hehe, with time goes by there are more and more users that obviously can't deal with the new skins in v9.

your skin is better than the original ones in v9, which are the reason i'm still using mixcraft 8, but as you said there are still too many limitations when creating an own skin.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:35 am

RollingStone wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:30 pm
your skin is better than the original ones in v9, which are the reason i'm still using mixcraft 8, but as you said there are still too many limitations when creating an own skin.
I'm sure I've probably mentioned this, but Mixcraft 9 has a Mixcraft 8 skin. Display Preferences > Visual Themes.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our Mixcraft University 101 video tutorials.

ferez21

Post by ferez21 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:54 pm

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:35 am
RollingStone wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:30 pm
I'm sure I've probably mentioned this, but Mixcraft 9 has a Mixcraft 8 skin. Display Preferences > Visual Themes.
Hi Greg, is there a way to change the color of the grid lines in the arrangment? Couldn't find it in the skin setting file.