Native Instruments Strummed Acoustic Issues

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

homemadehitshow

Native Instruments Strummed Acoustic Issues

Post by homemadehitshow »

Pretty new to this area.

I purchased Native Instruments Strummed Acoustic. It sounds and plays great when opened in the Mixcraft plug in window

However when I try to record it or even use it in the plug in window while a track is playing (even if the track is silence), then the instrument is either messed up or is playing back at half speed. I cannot tell.

Any ideas?
www.homemadehitshow.com

The best home songwriting podcast IN THE WORLD
homemadehitshow

Re: Native Instruments Strummed Acoustic Issues

Anyone? I am pretty sure it's missing notes.
www.homemadehitshow.com

cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,
Make sure your Kontakt settings are how you want them for the instrument. Make sure you setup Latch Mode and Pattern Sync correctly.

Look at the Pattern Selection and Playback section of the manual. Pattern Sync specifically may be what you are after based on your description of the problem. The instrument playback will sync to the host (Mixcraft) tempo which may not be what you expect
homemadehitshow

Thanks, do you mean the instrument manual?

As I mentioned, the instrument plays fine in the "playing with VST window open but not part of the project" mode, but the minute I use in the project or play the project in the background it goes wrong.

I really don't understand Kontakt :)
www.homemadehitshow.com

cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Yes, the instrument manual. I don't have the instrument so my suggestions are based on having read through some of the manual
homemadehitshow

I had a look at what you are suggesting and remain confused :)

Kontakt default to following the DAW tempo, and it does so for this instrument. When I change the DAW tempo then the playback changes.

The issue here is that as soon as I hit PLAY or RECORD in Mixcraft either the tempo drops or notes are lost. This does not happen on other Kontakt instruments and does not happen with this instrument in other software.
www.homemadehitshow.com

homemadehitshow

I have confirmed it is slowing down to about 25%. The instrument has a visual display that shows it moving through the strums/notes and it obviously slows down when play or record is pressed
www.homemadehitshow.com

homemadehitshow

I realize it's a very niche question but I really wish I could get some guidance. I love the instrument and I've been using Reaper for the last few days to allow me to use it and I don't like moving away from Mixcraft.
gaffster

Post by gaffster »

I don't use Kontact but my strum instruments require certain midi notes to start a strum progression. Perhaps the notes on your track are the wrong octave..I have seen this happen. Try transposing them +12 or +24 or -12 or -24 see what happens. Various notes probably trigger all sorts of different things, LOL.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Definitely try what gaffster said.

...but in regards to 25% speed? What's the time signature and tempo (BPM) on the strummer? If it is an X/8 (6/8 ,12/8 etc) meter and the expectation is to have groups of triplet 8th notes, VSTs with patterns or drum machines often do not sync up as one would expect in Mixcraft according to the BPM when using a triplet meter.

I can't recall the formula I came up with in these situations but for some reason multiplying Mixcrafts BPM X 1.5 jumps out to me. That means if your VST has a meter of 6/8 with a BPM of 90, then you would set Mixcraft's BPM equal to 90 X 1.5 = 135
homemadehitshow

Thanks for trying but it's all very simple. 120 4/4 As said the instrument plays find until I start recording or play it with playback.
www.homemadehitshow.com

cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Did you see this section in the instrument manual?

▪TIMING section: Use the Offset knob to control the amount of positive or negative lag add-
ed to the playback. Positive values, for example, will result in a laid back feel whereas neg-
ative values will result in a hasty performance.

TEMPO section: Here, you can select between three tempo ratios 1⁄2 (half time), 1:1 (nor-
mal time), or ×2 (double time), which globally affect the pattern playback speed relative to
the host tempo. Please note that there is also a local time scaling feature available for each
pattern (see section ↑3.3, The Info Panel). The individual patterns' tempo factors will each
be multiplied by the global tempo factor.
[/size]

With slow host tempos, switching the global tempo to half time may not work if the ac-
tual relative tempo falls below the limit of ca. 60 bpm
Last edited by cactus-head on Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homemadehitshow

Thanks for keep trying but as I keep saying the instrument works fine until I record or play and works fine in other daws.

Another site gave me a clue so now I believe this is a Mixcraft issue. If I switch the tempo to 2/8 then it works fine, 4/16 also.
www.homemadehitshow.com

Drabant

Post by Drabant »

I have the same problem with every Kontakt instrument that I have(Komplete) that plays a pattern with a latched note. The pattern plays as 1/4 speed.

Here is what I have found:
  • I have the problem with the VST3 version of Kontakt.
  • I don't have the problem with the version of Kontakt that doesn't have VST3 in the name.
  • I don't have the problem when loading Komplete Kontrol in Mixcraft and then Kontakt (VST3) in Komplete Kontrol.
  • When I have the problem, changing the time signature of the project to a version of 1/4 (i.e. 2/8) plays the pattern at the BPM of the project.
  • When I don't have the problem, changing the time signature has no effect on how fast the pattern plays.
  • When I have the problem, the instrument in Kontakt displays the BPM of the project, even though it plays slow.
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

I just had a problem with a completely different plugin...where the VST3 plugin did not work in Mixcraft, but the regular VST did. And the symptom was that the instrument played back slower than the tempo indicated. It also played back normally when you hit the Play button inside the plugin window, but played back at reduced speed when you hit Play inside of the main Mixcraft window.

So perhaps some VST3 implementations and Mixcraft are not compatible.

Glenn