Does your DAW freeze for a second when saving?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

creativeforge

Does your DAW freeze for a second when saving?

Post by creativeforge »

Am I the only one?

On Windows 10, every time I save, my screen freezes for a second or so, and my soundcard "gasps."

And when I close the program, it freezes for up to 5 seconds. Worse on Windows 7, up to 10 seconds. I've gone through all the settings I could find online to maximize my computers for audio recording, but still.

I'm wondering if others also experience this? Any way to "fix" this or is this native to Mixcraft? I would like to know before digging deeper into looking for a solution.

Thanks!

Andre
Acoustica Greg

Re: Does your DAW freeze for a second when saving?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

How fast is your hard drive? Are you saving to an external drive or something?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
R Nashville

Post by R Nashville »

Hi, I've got the same situation when it comes to saving, started about a month ago when I was on Windows 10 and using the internal SATA hard drive, it would freeze/gasp for about 3-5 seconds when I was saving. Since then I've upgraded to Windows 11 and an internal SSD drive and it still freezes/gasps for a couple of seconds. This only occurs when I save with the Transport on and playing. I haven't had any issues with freezing when closing the program. Thanks
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft can "freeze" momentarily while it's waiting for a process to complete. Is it waiting for a hard drive to catch up? Is it waiting for an audio driver to release control of the sound device? Is it waiting for a plugin to do something? What you're doing at the time and what you've got going on in the project can be a clue.

Greg
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

Hi Greg, Do you experience the same issue?

I use SSDs for the OS and SSDs for the virtual samples and VSTs. No external drives.

Windows 7 computer - 16GB RAM and M-Audio Fast-Track Ultra sound card.

Windows 10 computer - 32 GB RAM and I use an Audient i14 MKII sound card.

I've always been curious about this setting in Preferences:

High priority threads for audio engine. The box is ticked.

Force single CPU is not ticked.
R Nashville wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:47 pm This only occurs when I save with the Transport on and playing.
It's worse on Win 10 for me (saving while playback), it seems to be easier on Win 7 to do that on my end.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The next time you notice a bad case of it, quit Mixcraft and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Oh, and also...

"Force Single CPU" should never be selected. (It's just there for troubleshooting rare issues).
"High priority threads for audio engine" should always be selected. (Same deal).

Greg
MGT81

Post by MGT81 »

Yup. Just for a split second though. Not a big deal. I thought it was normal, tbh. I have an i9, with 32 GB RAM and an SSD, so I doubt it’s a performance isssue
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Are people hitting save during playback?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

cactus-head wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:08 pm Are people hitting save during playback?
Some DAW's are more tolerant of this than others.
In others it seems to trigger freezes and crashes.

I dont recommend it.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I never save while my project is playing. To me, it would seem normal to have a playback issue while saving, as data is trying to be stored while other functions are trying to use the computers drives and RAM. Some data might become a priority while saving, which would interior the data with less.priority.
On my old computer I only had 2 hard drives. One for OS, and the other for my East West library and record. I had some issues while playing a library sound ( like grand piano ) and recording it at the same time. The computer was trying to record data and also playback sounds from the same drive.
On my new computer I had 3 drives installed. One SSD for OS, second drive for VST library sounds, and the third for recording. This way my library sounds wouldn't be affected while recording.

- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

me too. I would never save while playing. I only save when no playback or any sound or motion happening...
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10