Mixcraft 9 pro does NOT give the option to save automatically

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft 9 pro does NOT give the option to save automatically

Post by Mark Bliss »

^^^ :D

I dont recall ever clicking on save during playback. I am certain I have never while recording! Is anyone that certain before reviewing the take?

My mind just doesnt work that way I guess.
And besides, I would kind of expect, (or at least not be surprised) that the "wheels might fall off" if I did that..... (In any such program)

I am more inclined to review, rewind, observe, and capture a snapshot of all revisions. On my terms and when I decide.
Get that right "automatically"? Ever?

Extremely skeptical about that. No thanks.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Here's a clip of what happens. I don't have a screen capture device with audio. Just my cell for now. As you can see the CPU is fairly low, but still stuttering. https://www.dropbox.com/s/acyroifwcisbs ... e.mp4?dl=0
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

jwarv wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:46 pm Here's a clip of what happens. I don't have a screen capture device with audio. Just my cell for now. As you can see the CPU is fairly low, but still stuttering. https://www.dropbox.com/s/acyroifwcisbs ... e.mp4?dl=0
Soooo...should I not be surprised? Or is that weird?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Not that unusual. It depends upon your hardware and software configuration. For example, that would be more likely to happen with low audio buffer settings. Or if you have a million CPU-hungry plugins running.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:39 am Hi,

Not that unusual. It depends upon your hardware and software configuration. For example, that would be more likely to happen with low audio buffer settings. Or if you have a million CPU-hungry plugins running.

Greg
Oh, OK. So, what's a reasonable buffer setting?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If the buffer setting is too high, you have a big lag before you hear the sound. If the setting is too low, you get audio skipping. A good setting varies from computer to computer, depending on hard drive speed, sound device, RAM, number of cores, other programs running in the background, Windows power settings, etc.

Or just don't save during playback. Or, save during playback and don't worry about the playback quality while saving.

Greg
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:49 pm Hi,

If the buffer setting is too high, you have a big lag before you hear the sound. If the setting is too low, you get audio skipping. A good setting varies from computer to computer, depending on hard drive speed, sound device, RAM, number of cores, other programs running in the background, Windows power settings, etc.

Or just don't save during playback. Or, save during playback and don't worry about the playback quality while saving.

Greg
Right. That's a habit I picked up working with Acid. (And I mean the DAW) It was always a smooth action. I don't know how it operates now, however. That was years ago. Probably before these things were so CPU hungry.

In any case. I only use Core Audio (WaveRT) for mixing because I don't have speakers hooked up to my interface and so can't use ASIO. But there's no option for buffer size in the former. Unless I missed something.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you had an audio interface with its own ASIO driver, you'd be in better shape.

WaveRT mode just has a latency setting, so increasing that latency setting increases your audio buffers.

With WaveRT, you can try turning on exclusive mode.

Greg
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

I do, but only use it when recording and monitor through headphones. For mixing and playback I use WaveRT. But I suppose I could rearrange things.
ChuckR

Post by ChuckR »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:40 pm If you had an audio interface with its own ASIO driver, you'd be in better shape.
Greg
Greg, do you have any recommendations for a audio interface with its own ASIO driver?
RollingStone

Post by RollingStone »

ChuckR wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:56 am
Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:40 pm If you had an audio interface with its own ASIO driver, you'd be in better shape.
Greg
Greg, do you have any recommendations for a audio interface with its own ASIO driver?
the usb audio interface market has grown very big in the last years so there are many many products that all do "the same".
it depends on what you wanna spend for it. the ~200$ price segment has a lot to offer.

i would first think of, how many instrument and/or xlr inputs, headphone inputs and outputs you need.

i'm working with this one and it runs smoothly with no problems:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... e-audio-6/

nice for advanced person and beginners, drivers are regularly updated on their site for download.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:39 pm How can you forget to save with that asterisk staring at you?
That asterisk has me trained like some kind of pavlovian experiment, I see it, I save it.

Besides, I've recovered audio files from a crash before. Does the OP have the delete files feature turned on, because I'm pretty sure the files are kept by default.

-N
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

bigaquarium wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:32 am Besides, I've recovered audio files from a crash before. Does the OP have the delete files feature turned on, because I'm pretty sure the files are kept by default.

-N
The option to delete unused audio files only kicks in if you quit Mixcraft without having saved at all. Once, you save, no unused audio files are deleted from that project.
Fischfix

Post by Fischfix »

i remix/remaster some older tracks on mixcraft 9 pro and EVERY single day i had a crash of mixcraft or some other problem (vst crashing ect.) and everytime i've lost a couple of hours because of there is no autosave feature. In reaper i never had any of these problems, that's why i switched couple of years ago. sadly i did quite a bit of work on mixcraft (from 5 on) so either i migrate or live with this "no-feature" ... come on, auto save in mixing-stage in 2022 not possible ... w t f