Effects monitoring

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

geobee

Effects monitoring

Post by geobee »

Hi all, is it possible to monitor incoming signal with effects applied? I do remember a discussion on it somewhere, but forget the result. I am using vista, with 3gig of ram. I would still like to only record the dry signal for obvious reasons, but sometimes its good to be able to hear what an effect will have on a sound source. Would it be a latency issue maybe, and too difficult to work with? Regards. Geoff
Mark Bliss

Re: Effects monitoring

Post by Mark Bliss »

I'll try to help.......

Yes you can, but you didnt mention your interface hardware. Latency and monitoring issues are common problems to be sorted out first, and configuring your system may depend on your interface, driver and such. Read the documentation for both Mixcraft and your interface. Install carefully per interface manufacturer instructions and study the Mixcraft tutorials on the subject. (As I recall, recording interface use was covered in Erics video on recording guitar.)

Generally once you have the interface/driver/latency issues tamed it is down to finding the right monitoring settings. There is a button to choose between "monitor incoming signal" or not, within your settings tab for your track that may be key to what you are missing.

I'd be more specific but I need to look around to refresh my memory. I found this stage to be a steep learning curve my self. (Vintage Caveman.)

The dry recorded signal is always what you are really saving when you record, and therefore you can tweak (or completely change or remove) any effects setting on your track during later mixing sessions.

Hope that helps! Good luck and stick with it!
Mark
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks Mark, am using a Lexicon Lamda interface unit. Computer is a new Dell, with integrated sound card. I am considering getting a Line 6 interface, as I have heard they are a nice unit, and better for latency issues. Regards. Geoff
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Not sure if we're talking the same thing here, but here's what I do.

I use a DI box and take the dry signal direct to a mixer (it could also go straight to your sound card).

I then use the "through" on the DI to go to either an amp simulator, guitar amp with effects etc.

You can then mic this and feed it to another mixer channel (assuming you have a separate mixer, of course.)

You could then either get a blend of the two signals or pan one hard left and the other hard right to a stereo or two single tracks.

Hope this helps! :)
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio