mixcraft 6 and jamvox 3 vst plugin

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jimmer

mixcraft 6 and jamvox 3 vst plugin

Post by jimmer »

Hey, I am trying to install the Jamvox VST plugin in Mixcraft. I am currently using jamvox 3 without the USB jamvox monitor. I use another USB computer interface. I am new to using mixcraft. Through mixcraft I have scanned all the VOX folders for plugins/vst. And I cant seem to figure where or how to connect with the Jamvox vst? Nothing is showing up in mixcraft. Its not in my effects list, nor does it show up as a vst intrument list. I did find 2 .dll files in Jamvox folder jamvoxdevice.dll and jvoxapi.dll and I copied these to a VST folder that was already on my computer (but empty). I rescaned for VSTs from mixcraft including that folder and still cant make the connection. THANKS in advance for anyones help.
dathyr1

Re: mixcraft 6 and jamvox 3 vst plugin

Post by dathyr1 »

i have Jamvox 3 installed on my computer and have both Mixcraft 5.3 and 6. On mine it does see the JAmvox effects .dll

Once Jamvox 3 was installed on my computer, I copied the 2 .dll files over to the 32 bit windows directory section and into the VST folder.

1. go to Program files(x86) directory - 32 bit directory
2. go to VST directory
3 I created a folder called VOX
4. copy JamVOX.dll and jamvoxdevice.dll into the VOX folder.

And it should work this way, at least it does for me.

Open up Mixcraft 6, go to effects and you should find "Jamvox" listed as an effect.

Jamvox only provides the effects of the program as a VST plugin. Not the program itself as you already know but others reading this, just added information about it.

Jamvox is an awesome program also.

Dave :)
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

One last thing on my install info in last reply. Even though I have Windows 7 64 bit, my install for Jamvox 3 was the 32 bit version.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

dathyr1 wrote:One last thing on my install info in last reply. Even though I have Windows 7 64 bit, my install for Jamvox 3 was the 32 bit version.

That's fine, it should work.
jimmer

Post by jimmer »

Hey Thanks for the responses. Sure enough, I unistalled the 64 bit version of jamvox and installed the 32 bit version. The plug in now shows up on the mixcraft effect list. Everything works now. The .dll files were automatically placed in a folder labled VSTs. From Mixcraft I simply went to File>Preferences>Plug-Ins>Edit VST folders> Then I clicked "Auto-Scan for VST folders" It automatically picked up the plugins without having to move them to another folder. To me, these two programs make a killer combination!
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Great. Glad you got it to work. I agree with you, it is an awesome music program.

I hoped no-one noticed my typo(fumbled fingers), I have Mixcraft 5.2 not 5.3. <hehehe>

take care,

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am interested in what you like about the JamVox software and how you are using it. Are you guys using it mostly for the amp modeling, or the play along and learning features?
The current "introductory" price is certainly attractive.......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi mbliss,

Right now I use mine for learning and jamming. I just recently got this software myself and the ability to slow down pieces, looping, and changing keys is awesome. I know there are other software packages out there that do similar things, but this is kind of an all in one package for Guitarists or even keyboardist.

There are over 100 preset amp/effect setups to start out with which is easy to change to your likings. There are also about 100 basic drum pattern rhythm presets to choose from.

The software also has kind of a guitar/vocal removal tool, which knocks out about 90-95% of the guitars/vocals on the track. Probably good enough to play/sing over the muffled vocals that can be heard. Havent played with that enough to see how good it is other than i know it works.

I also havent had much time yet with the amp setups,guitar postions on stage, and room environments cause of other things going on, but it looks quite impressive.

And is nice that we can use the effects as a VST plugin for other virtual instruments within My DAW software, even though I did have allot of effect plugins already.

All in all, it is quite a software package,

Take care,

dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Couple other little things about Jamvox I just tried.

The tempo of the song track can be slowed down to 50%. very very little or no change in pitch
The pitch can be changed + or - 5 semitones.

If you change the pitch any more than what they give you, vocals on the track start sounding like the chipmonks or very very deep voice. Instruments sound pretty good with the pitch changer. so makes a good way to do minor tweaks to instrumental tracks to change keys easily for vocalists that cant sing at original key. I can do this same kinda thing in my DAW also.

cool tools though.

Dave
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Thanks Dave,
I have done some research and found reports of previous versions of JamVox's ASIO drivers not getting along well with other ASIO drivers, such as some interface drivers? And a comment that it may not work with other amp modeling software installed. You mentioned other plug-ins, do you run other modeling software?

I too have quite a few other things going on here and fear any hint of them not "getting along"!

Anyone else using the JamVox3 software have any comments?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi Mbliss,

I kinda agree with you on the ASIO drivers and Jamvox. I am still experimenting around with different I/O configurations and right now I just have the plain Line in/Line out configuration to test the features of Jamvox. I cant get ASIO to work quite right myself. You have to unplug other USB devices to get Ins and Outs to work correctly. Still experimenting around.

Reading the forum for Jamvox 3, some say the previous versions are better for Jamvox, I dont know, cause this is the first I have know about the product. They say version 1.5.2 is better.

I find Jamvox is setup up strictly for guitar with just the various pickups to choose from, If you play a keyboard into it, at least for testing right now for me, it sounds terrible, not clear at all. And the levels are allot lower than from Guitar Rig 5 when playing a keyboard.

I bought Jamvox mainly just for the special tempo, looping, and pitch for loading songs and learning different parts for right now. Plus the price was not that bad at 49 dollars. Dont think I would spend 99 dollars for it though. These features seem to work fine. Not great , but fine.

I am both a mainly keyboardist now and a guitarist, and right now my main goto amp configurations is Guitar Rig 5 by Native Instruments. I can play both guitar and keyboard into the software and the sounds are great and many many configurations to choose from. I have the purchased Komplete 8 ulta package and for the price I paid for it, is an awesome group of music software.

My main guitar right now is the midi G10 from Yamaha. It is different than a normal guitar in that all the strings are G strings and the controller does the string tuning. Great guitar for doing special sounds and effects. Bought this back in the 1990's

Ill talk a little more later, have to go, hope this helps.

Dave
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

hi Mbliss,

Slowly learning how to get Jamvox 3 to work. I now got my keyboard to play the effects section clearly. In the preferences they have a buffer setting. When it is set to 256 and using Windows line in and line out, the sound comes out garbled. I bumped it up to 512 and now I get a nice clean sound with either keyboard input or guitar input. So so far I got all the features working but ASIO. Going to play around with that tonight. It should work, but who knows. Their manual is not very helpful in that area and didnt mention anything about the buffers.

Some of the effects setups are pretty good and you can change to anything.

Also going to try to use loopbe1 and see if I can get Mixcraft 6 to play Jamvox 3.

take care,

dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Scratch that last statement on loopbe1 and Jamvox3. Only the VST effects section will work within Mixcraft 6. Other then that Jamvox 3 is a stand alone program unless I can find more about it on their forums.

Dave
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Dave, thanks for keeping me posted on your progress.

I also read some of the comments about previous versions, but suspect a lot of that can be chalked up to aversion to change. Version 3 also seems to be a slightly different approach to how it is used. Either way, there's always people who "hate" on new versions and updates, so I don't worry about that too much. My primary concern is compatibility with other programs.

I see you are running Guitar rig, so that's encouraging as I too have Guitar rig as well as GTR3. So my question comes down to the interface and driver issues. I don't want too foul up what works for me. I dont fully understand how some of this works, and suspect some of the problem people were having was with the older versions and the JamVox interface and its drivers. With JV3 we have the option of just adding the software and retaining our existing gear, I think.

You mentioned a difference between the stand alone operation and VST operation. I assumed it ran similar to Guitar rig and could be used in either mode. (I sometimes run Guitar rig in stand alone or "performance" mode, and sometimes use it as a vst within Mixcraft, where I am often using just some effects on other sounds than guitar entirely). I think what I need to learn is do I even need to run JamVox's ASIO driver to run the software or will it run on my existing drivers? Or am I just overly concerned about nothing? The comments I read just concerned me.

I am not getting any response on these questions so far from Vox, so I guess it comes down once again, to installing the program and trying it!

Keep posting as you learn, interesting stuff!

Mark
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page