First time dweeb needs help please - importing VSTi

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

zardak

First time dweeb needs help please - importing VSTi

Post by zardak »

Can someone help me to import a downloaded virtual instrument into mixcraft ready for use in the menu. I tried the manual but i can't find how to do it :roll: . This is the first time i will have ever tried to bring a vsti into a DAW, in fact this is the first and only DAW i have ever used. A little help would be much appreciated. If you do help please make it concise, as a lot of people can sometimes generalize about such info and that doesn't help anyone, thanx.
TrevsAudio

Re: First time dweeb needs help please - importing VSTi

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi!

I would suggest keeping all your plugins in the same folder.

I use C> Program files> VST. If you don't have such a folder in your drive, just create a new one.

Place all your vst files in this folder.

Next, open up Mixcraft and go to File > Preferences and in the column on the left, click on Plugins (should be at the bottom of the list).

On the right side, tick the first two boxes and then click on Edit VST/VSTi Folders. If you don't see your VST folder there, click Add and a dropdown menu will open. From that, pick the location of your VST folder then click OK.

That takes you back to the previous menu and just click OK.

Close Mixcraft and restart - your VST's should now all appear in the FX menu.

Enjoy your music making. 8)
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

I have a similar situation regarding VST and VSTi plugins. About a year ago I purchased an audio pc and loaded REAPER 32 bit and 64 bit. Then, I bought EZDrummer. When downloading it I had an option of using the default location as directed by the EZDrummer download, or, I could assign my own location. Not knowing any better, I downloaded the file to the default location. Since then I have bought and downloaded a few additional VSTi's by following the same procedure. I now see on the REAPER forum, as well as the Mixcraft forum, that I should have downloaded to a location such as C:\VST. Even though I like REAPER, it is over my head and now I am about to purchase MC6. So, my questions are:

1. How can I "repair" this?
2. Should I un-install EZDrummer only to have to re-install to the correct location?
3. In the future, should I install the entire download file to the C:\VST location? Or, should I install to the default location and then copy the .dll file to the C:\VST location?
No matter where you go, there you are.

zardak

Post by zardak »

You just bumped a four month old thread you jackass! Nah, i'm just kidding, something similar actually happened the other day when i visited the gear-slutz forum, someone came in all enthusiastic and fervent and unwittingly bumped a 9 year old thread, can you believe it, then someone else came in and said what i just said in reply, so i couldn't resist the opportunity to repeat it, in even a vaguely similar situation.

Anyway, regarding your issue, i don't really see what the problem is for you, you seem to have worked out the fundamental requirements already, so it's your option; it doesn't mater where you put it, as long as you point Mixcraft to it when importing it there will be no problem. You simply need to select it via the Mixcraft VSTi preferences menu to nominate it for Mixcraft to identify.

Yeah, i also was keen on reaper a while back, but just like you i couldn't get it figured-out, it is such a pretentious piece of crap, like almost all other DAW's, they try to accommodate every man and his dog plus the aliens and the fish in the sea, instead of just sticking with fundamentals and logical procedures. You will find Mixcraft to be the bomb in this regard.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

trevlyns wrote:Hi!

I would suggest keeping all your plugins in the same folder.

I use C> Program files> VST. If you don't have such a folder in your drive, just create a new one.

Place all your vst files in this folder.

Next, open up Mixcraft and go to File > Preferences and in the column on the left, click on Plugins (should be at the bottom of the list).

On the right side, tick the first two boxes and then click on Edit VST/VSTi Folders. If you don't see your VST folder there, click Add and a dropdown menu will open. From that, pick the location of your VST folder then click OK.

That takes you back to the previous menu and just click OK.

Close Mixcraft and restart - your VST's should now all appear in the FX menu.

Enjoy your music making. 8)
You don't need to close and restart Mixcraft. After the new folder is selected just click on 'Rescan' and it will be updated. Incidentally, regarding VST folder location, I would suggest it best to create the vst folder on either a separate partition or a second hard drive (I do the latter) so that should Windows become corrupted and require a fresh install, the VST folder won't be erased; all you need do after re-installation is locate your existing folder after Mixcraft is re-installed. It will save a lot of hunting around looking for your original plugins that may even become unavailable.
Last edited by Ianpb on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

A word of caution about selecting vst folders. DO NOT choose non-vst folders, like your whole C: drive, or your Windows folder.

Mixcraft will try to load every .dll file as a vst, causing it to crash.
*Vibrant Audio*