Toontrack Products

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

scdaymon

Re: Toontrack Products

Post by scdaymon »

:mrgreen:
wildbil

Post by wildbil »

Hi All,
where or how does Acoustica's Beatcraft rate with EZ drummer?
Smooth Sailing, bil
win7 64; Realtek ALC 889 sound card on MSI mobo; MC6 Pro; band in a box 2011; Gateway NV55S28U Laptop... it has Realtek onboard sound.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

scdaymon wrote:Well Pierre,

We'll wait for your review and some advices about it (please!). :mrgreen:

Cheers
Hey....
I did get a chance to play with EzDrummer in Mixcraft 6. I was able to mostly do everything Dave Weiner did in that youtube video.. Except.

If you remember, he drags a sample from the EZD library into his virtual instrument track. He then extends that out for 8 measures or so. He does this with other samples.
Later he comes back at the beginning of the loop and adds a cymbal crash as a transition from the previous loop into the new one. He mentions that because he did not make the change to the loop before extending out, that the change only applies to the very beginning.
With MC6, I was not able to do that. If I added a cymbal crash to the beginning, it was replicated at the beginning of each section.
What I had to do to correct this was drag an instance of the sample into the track then drag a second instance right behind the first one. It was this second instance that I extend out several measures. And I add the cymbal crash to the beginning of the first instance.. Now, it works like in the video..

I am continuing to play with this... I will also try it in MC5

Cheers
Pierre

PS... Greg... is this something that could be incorporated into MC6?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm not sure we'd want to do that. If you add something to a loop, it should loop. Why not have the transitional cymbal crash as a separate clip?

Greg
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure we'd want to do that. If you add something to a loop, it should loop. Why not have the transitional cymbal crash as a separate clip?

Greg
That's kind of what I did.

Thanks...

Pierre
scdaymon

Post by scdaymon »

clavguy wrote:I was able to mostly do everything Dave Weiner did in that youtube video.
(...)
I am continuing to play with this... I will also try it in MC5
Seriously man?!
I tried it, and it was a complete failure.
I just couldn’t edit the patterns, cause the notes are still very, very small, and when you add something (a diferent note - drum - it’s a much bigger image than the original ones of the pattern. It’s very confusing!!!
I saw the drum map editor of Cubase, and that’s for sure, easiest to work with.
I also saw a picture of a drum map editor of Mixcrat 6:

http://mixcraft.soft32.com/screenshots

Yeah, like you could increase the map to occupied all screen. :roll:
That would be a wonderful feature, and maybe that way we could edit something in EzDrummer with Mixcraft. [Mixcraft developers should think this carefully].
The truth is that the picture of the drum map editor it's not accurate, because you cannot increase that much the drum map.

So by now, I’ll be messing with HYDROGEN DRUMS MACHINE… it has a lot of drum kits, with very real sounds, ans is much, much, muuuch easier to work with.
Plus, it’s for FREE!!! :wink:

Anyways, thanks for your sharing your review bro… :wink:
Jaymzzb

Post by Jaymzzb »

I just want to add to this thread that I always use EZdrummer and have no problems with that or the midi editor in Mixcraft.
I generally dont use the loops from EZdrummer I create my own beats in the piano roll midi editor within mixcraft.
I've used the loops before and had no problems editing them.

Sometimes you may need to zoom in on the beats as they are tiny but you can stretch them using the cursor.

Both Mixcraft and EZdrummer are fantastic products that work very well together.
scdaymon

Post by scdaymon »

Jaymzzb wrote:Sometimes you may need to zoom in on the beats as they are tiny but you can stretch them using the cursor.
Jesus... then I must be doing something wrong.

Can someone, please, explain me how to zoom and stretch the tiny beats, so it becomes possible to edit them? :?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In Mixcraft 6, select an instrument clip, press Ctrl+A to select all the notes, then click on the MIDI Editing option and select Durations. You can then increase the duration of each note as much as you want.

Greg
scdaymon

Post by scdaymon »

I do not have M6, only M5!!! :cry:

Can't we do something like that on M5?

I need to try M6. Does the demo version allows that?

If it works, I'll buy it for sure (in a few months... I just bought some expensive gear, so no money for now!!! :mrgreen: )

Thanks Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In Mixcraft 5, choose the Quantize option, select All, turn off "Quantize Note Start" and "Swing Amount," and put a check next to Quantize Note Length. Choose 1/32 or 1/16 notes.

Greg

P.S. You should check out Mixcraft 6. Mixcraft 5 owners can upgrade for $20. You can change the note duration during the trial period.
wildbil

Post by wildbil »

Hi All,

how does acoustica's beatcraft compare with stuff like easy drummer or, say, adding a floor drum on a midi track in MC6? easier? trickier?
whadaya think?

smooth sailing,

bil
win7 64; Realtek ALC 889 sound card on MSI mobo; MC6 Pro; band in a box 2011; Gateway NV55S28U Laptop... it has Realtek onboard sound.
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hello,

I just want to mention a couple features of Mixcraft's piano roll, which exist in both Mixcraft 5 and Mixcraft 6.

First, you can zoom both vertically and horizontally in Mixcraft's piano roll. There are two sets of magnifying glasses to the left of the piano roll, so you can make the notes taller or longer and easily edit them.

Second, you can easily full-screen the piano roll. Just hit the "Undock" button in the upper-right of the piano roll, which will place the piano roll in a separate window. Then you can maximize (full-screen) this window.

Finally, if the notes you are entering are too long, just choose a shorter note, like a 16th note. The note buttons at the top of the piano roll let you choose the length of the notes that you draw in.

I hope that helps.

Dan
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Dan,

The problem (at least with Mixcraft 5) is that EZDrummer sometimes generates notes so tiny zooming won't help.

Greg
Acoustica Dan wrote:Hello,

I just want to mention a couple features of Mixcraft's piano roll, which exist in both Mixcraft 5 and Mixcraft 6.

First, you can zoom both vertically and horizontally in Mixcraft's piano roll. There are two sets of magnifying glasses to the left of the piano roll, so you can make the notes taller or longer and easily edit them.

Second, you can easily full-screen the piano roll. Just hit the "Undock" button in the upper-right of the piano roll, which will place the piano roll in a separate window. Then you can maximize (full-screen) this window.

Finally, if the notes you are entering are too long, just choose a shorter note, like a 16th note. The note buttons at the top of the piano roll let you choose the length of the notes that you draw in.

I hope that helps.

Dan
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Here's an older post on how to increase the size of notes from EZDrummer midi library clips:
http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 806#p38560
*Vibrant Audio*