ZOOM R16

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Studio 919

ZOOM R16

Post by Studio 919 »

I have a ZOOM R16 and I am thinking about getting MC6.

Has anyone set up a ZOOM R16 to work as a control surface?
If so, how well does it do?
No matter where you go, there you are.

Acoustica Greg

Re: ZOOM R16

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We don't have one here for testing, but it should work as far as we know.

Anybody out there got one?

Greg
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Well, here's what I tried last night.

I "installed" my ZOOM R16 and then went in to the "Control Surface" option. I was able to assign some functions, i.e. play, stop, record, fast forward a bit, fast forward to end, rewind a bit, rewind to beginning. I also assigned the master fader of my R16 and it did operate the MC master fader. Only problem is it did not control the volume; instead it acted like the pitch wheel on a keyboard. Also, I could not figure how to assign track faders from the R16 to operate the volume of individual tracks in MC6.

Keep in mind I'm trying out the demo version of MC6. I don't know if the above results will be different in the paid version of MC.

Anyone have any ideas?

Barry

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The trial version of Mixcraft works just like the registered version, except that you can't mix down or burn CDs after the trial is over.

First, make sure you've got the latest system software for your Zoom R16 installed.

Also make sure you have the latest version of Mixcraft, which is 6.0 build 185 as of this writing.

For the master fader, did you map "Adjust Master Volume" to the master fader on the Zoom Z16? Double-check that.

Did you try mapping "Set Selected Track Volume" to one of your faders? It will only work on the selected track.

Greg
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Thanks for the response Greg. I am going to make sure I am current on both the ZOOM and MC software. I know that currently I'm using MC6 build 180.

I'll try the mapping thing again this weekend and keep y'all posted.

Maybe Mixcraft (Acoustica) can configure some of the more popular control surfaces as presets so that users can select their equipment from a drop-down box. (Hint, hint)

Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

I'm using build 191 of MC and I am current on the ZOOM R16 stuff. I've been trying to set it up as a control surface but I still cannot get the faders to control volume in MC. The R16 uses Mackie emulation.

Anyone got any ideas on how to set up the ZOOM R16 faders to control volume in MC?

Stratattack

Post by Stratattack »

[qu
Doodad wrote:Has anyone set up a ZOOM R16 to work as a control surface?
If so, how well does it do?
ote][/quote]

I re-mapped some of the controls on my Zoom R8 ( Mackie standard codes I believe) to Mixcraft 6 using ' Bome’s Midi Translator Pro'. I went MIDI OUT of the Zoom R8 to MIDI IN of the Bome's, then MIDI OUT of Bome's to Mixcraft using Bone's Virtual MIDI OUT Port. Bome's can re-map any midi code to another.
I then found a Freeware Program called MIDI OX that will do the same job, but it has no Virtual MIDI Ports - I used the spare MIDI Port on my sound card and Phyically looped MIDI OUT to MIDI IN with 2 Wires. I was then able to sent the Output of MIDI OX to Mixcraft. Also you have to manually set up the Mapping. With Bome's it detects when you move a slider or press a button on the Zoom R8.
If you try the trial version of Bome's - map the codes - then use those values in MIDI OX. Saves time working it out 8)

Stratattack
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Stratattack:

Thanks for the response and the suggestions.

In REAPER I just selected Mackie emulation and the transport and faders work. In MC6 I have been able to map the transport but cannot seem to figure out how to map the faders on the R16 to control track volume in MC.

I'll look at your suggestions.

Thanks again.