Miroslav Philharmonik with MC6

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

chibear

Miroslav Philharmonik with MC6

Post by chibear »

I know this belongs in 'plugins' but it was discussed on this board so I'll start it off here. I promised to do a somewhat in-deph review of IK Miroslav PhilharmoniK a couple of weeks ago, but wanted to wait until I was familiar with it in MC6 so......

THE INTERFACE
MP uses it's own version of the IK Sample Tank (free download) which is a very powerful tool in itself giving you control over almost everything in the sounds you want to tweek (and a lot of things that are best left alone, so remember where the dials where before you started playing with them, or reload the instrument after you've totally messed it up) There are also quite a few effects included that could be applied to each instrument or instance of MP. They might be really good, but are lacking any presets that I could see so you have to experiment on your own. The powerful sample tank interface also allows you to split the keyboard between 2 groups of instruments and also will play instruments according to the velocity a key is hit (example: the faster you hit the key the more instruments play). This is mainly useful for live performance and lazy orchestrators, but I could see myself eventually 'building' a solo violin for instance that would change articulations (using 'Lanes' in MC6) according to the velocity of the note but that would be a hobby in itself :wink: So a good solid B for the interface. It IS easy to use initially but to realize its full potential it really needs presets so the users can educate themselves better as to what all those knobs and buttons actually do. The same holds true of the included effects which I was not all impressed with them in their default settings.

The Samples
The samples for MP were taken from the Czek Philharmonic in the late 1990's to early 2000's and yes by today's standards some are a bit dated, BUT the underlying musicianship of the players comes through more so than in some of the more 'modern' sample collections. You are given a huge array of samples and I have listened to all of them at least once now and used or tried to use many so here are my opinions"

The winners:
Solo Violin, Solo Cello, Solo Oboe, Strings except as listed below String Ensembles, Percussion, massed brass, trombones, trumpets, tuba, guitars, organ, bassoon, clarinet, flutes & solo flute

SO-SO:
choirs, horns, section violas

The Losers:
Harp, soft solo horn, solo viola, English horn,

Artifacts:
MP really needs 4 cores to run properly in MC6. My 2 core machine gets lots of artifacts (pops & clicks) even in the mixdown. I purposely left some in the woodwind section at the end of the sample I'm providing so you can hear. BUT ALL IS NOT LOST for the owners of dual core machines. One needs only mix the tracks that are producing artifacts down to wave AND no artifacts :lol: I got this trick from the EWQL forums where some people need mix all tracks down to wave (bounce) except for the 1 or 2 they are currently working on.

The real test is in what you can produce so here is an example I've been working on using only MP samples and some Acoustica effects as will be noted below the sample. I hope you enjoy:

http://soundcloud.com/clyde-lindman/newtunetest
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Re: Miroslav Philharmonik with MC6

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Wow, that sounds great. We weren't hearing any pops and clicks in that. Do you hear them at a particular time in the piece?

Greg
chibear

Post by chibear »

Hi Greg,

On my dual core machine the woodwind section at the end has lots of pops & clicks. On my quad core there are no issues. In fact, there is no need to mix any of the tracks down to wave at all. In both machines according to the task manager Mixcraft is using 2.5 to 2.7 gigs of RAM (out of 3 available on the dual core and out of 7 available on the quad core.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

So it's just a playback issue on your dual core computer; the artifacts aren't being written to the mixed down files?

Greg
chibear

Post by chibear »

If I don't bounce the individual tracks with the artifacts down then they are written to the file. If I do bounce them down then it plays clean. Like I said this is only on the dual core machine. On the quad core there is no need to bounce anything. I also failed to mention that on the dual core I am also using an M-Audio Audiophile 192, M-Audio ASIO drivers, all up to date. The dual core is up for a MAJOR upgrade when I get the bucks so I'm not concerned with the issue.

As an aside I spent quite a bit of time on this issue at the beginning with the IK techs and they had problems hearing the artifacts so it is probably a very machine specific issue or my wife is right and I'm too anal retentive :/ Furthermore I've been spending quite a bit of time in the EWQL forums (as that is part of that major upgrade) and there are a number of people having the same problems with their Play engine which the EWQL team are unable to duplicate on their machines. Complicated Stuff.

Edit: Just to make sure I went over to the quad core (HP DV6) and had a listen to the soundcloud example and the artifacts were definitely in the woodwinds at the end so are being mixed down in the wave file on the dual core machine. While the HP works great with Mixcraft I don't like listening to wave files on it because of the DR Beats audio which I have yet to find a way to get a flat uncompressed response from.
Soundcloud YouTube
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Hey Chibear

Sounds great and a great review-

Now my question

Musician's Friend is selling the $229 version (orchestra and choir) for $99.99.. I have been learning to use EWQL. And I have kind of put my Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 on hold...
I am thinking that 1oo bucks for that version of MP is a great deal and I am thinking of picking it up.

What do you think on my Windows XP dual core????

Pierre
chibear

Post by chibear »

The price certainly is right! If you have doubts about how it'll behave with your system, go to the IK site and download Sample Tank Free version and then download the free samples that go with it. There are quite a few Miroslav Philharmonik samples there. Probably enough for you to be able to tell.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank/
Soundcloud YouTube
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

chibear wrote:The price certainly is right! If you have doubts about how it'll behave with your system, go to the IK site and download Sample Tank Free version and then download the free samples that go with it. There are quite a few Miroslav Philharmonik samples there. Probably enough for you to be able to tell.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank/
I tried that 3 times... And each time it gets hung up at the "authorization process". I am at work now and can't tell you exactly what the issue was.
chibear

Post by chibear »

Somewhere on the site you can download the 'authorization manager' or it migt be on your computer in the IK folder. They have changed their website since I was last there, but check the FAQ for authorization and they give you all the info. If I remember right you have to log in to your account, get the authorization code and put it in the proper spot. It's a pain but better than a dongle which apparently they used to use.
Soundcloud YouTube
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

chibear wrote:Somewhere on the site you can download the 'authorization manager' or it migt be on your computer in the IK folder. They have changed their website since I was last there, but check the FAQ for authorization and they give you all the info. If I remember right you have to log in to your account, get the authorization code and put it in the proper spot. It's a pain but better than a dongle which apparently they used to use.
I did that. The authorization manager is asking for a serial # and I don' t know where to find it
chibear

Post by chibear »

Hi clavguy,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I changed IP a couple of days ago and forgot where I put it.

In my 'New Authorization Code' email:

Subject: Authorization Code Request Notification

Dear XXX XXXX,
Your request has been successfully processed.

You have already requested 1 authorization code for this product.
You are allowed to receive up to 5 authorization codes for this product.

Serial Number: XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXXX
Digital Id: XXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXxXX-XXXXXXXX
Authorization Code: XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX

Please keep this e-mail for future reference.
Thank you for your interest in our products.

Best regards,
Your IK Multimedia team
Soundcloud YouTube
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Hmmmmmm

I never got an email like that..
chibear

Post by chibear »

Then you can request a new authorization code in the members' area. It's hard for me to remember exactly since I work on this stuff mainly after midnight when I won't be disturbed.
Soundcloud YouTube
sunjose

Post by sunjose »

Hi Pierre,

Am I right in assuming that you are trying to use the demo version and not the purchased copy? In that case you cannot do authorisation as it is a demo version. You will need to cancel that particular step and proceed ahead.
Sunil Joseph
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Screw it....

Yes Sunil.. I am trying to run the free version.

I try to run it and it says my 10 day grace period is over... And, I need to run the authorization mgr. When I try to do that I cant find the serial number.

They just lost a potential sale