Midi First Note Glitch

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Threeleggedyoyo

Midi First Note Glitch

Post by Threeleggedyoyo »

Sometimes when I am programming midi tracks, the first note of a pattern will be skipped on playback. Any idea how I can take care of this? It's pretty annoying...

Sometimes I just bump it over slightly, but when I'm programming something that needs to be precise, that won't do.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Midi First Note Glitch

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using Mixcraft 5?

Greg
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

There are several forum threads, even going back to Mixcraft 4, that talk about this and similar problems. Dan fixed something related to this bug for v6. But there still seem to be some issues with positioning midi notes. Here is the last thread: http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... f=4&t=7762

Here is an mx5 file from that thread demonstrating the problem - the file does not play correctly in v6 either:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/55yadusc8 ... roblem.mx5

I notice also with notes entered into the beginning of a clip, that I can't grab the leading end and move the beginning of the note. I have to move the entire note, then I can grab the leading end.
Attachments
MidiNoteLeadingEdgeBug.jpg
MidiNoteLeadingEdgeBug.jpg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 7205 times
*Vibrant Audio*
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The problem is fixed in version 6, but you probably have to quantize the notes or something if you're starting with a Mixcraft 5 project.

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the MIDI note starts at time zero. Did you file a bug report? I can if you haven't.

Greg
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Threeleggedyoyo, like Greg wrote are you using v5? As Greg points out, that was a problem that was fixed in v6.

Greg, you're right - I quantized in v6 and that corrected the problems in that file. There is a weird behavior when dragging the beginning of an initial note. I'll put in a bug report with a video.
*Vibrant Audio*
Threeleggedyoyo

Yes, I'm using 5. I can't remember if this happened on 4 also. It might have.

Is there any workaround besides upgrading? It doesn't always happen...
Mattox

Post by Mattox »

Have you tried double clicking on the note to make sure its start position is 1 1 0 ?
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Threeleggedyoyo, you can drag and drop the off note into a new position, and then drag and drop it back to get the note to play properly. Of course, upgrading to v6 will solve the issue. :wink:

Mattox, this was an issue in versions prior to v6. The note properties indicate all is well, but the note just doesn't play in certain situations.
*Vibrant Audio*
Threeleggedyoyo

Post necro!

I'm having other problems with Mixcraft 5's piano roll that are REALLY annoying.

When I put up a string of the same note with the same space between (like, say an unbroken string of the same 8th notes) most VSTs will only recognize the first note until the note moves.

For example, with MiniMougeVA it does this.

It doesn't do this, on the other hand, with sampled things.

The only way I can get this to work is to slightly move the notes so there is a small space in between, which is tedius and changes the sound.

What gives? Am I missing something?

Please don't tell me I have to upgrade just to get this to work... I've already bought your program 3 times. I'll buy it again if I want new features, not to fix broken ones. :(
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It only costs $20 to upgrade from Mixcraft 5 to Mixcraft 6. It's not like you have to pay the full price again.

We're not going to be making any changes to Mixcraft 5. Mixcraft 5.1 build 152 was the last update.

Give it a try in Mixcraft 6 and see how it works, or stick with Mixcraft 5 and work around it. Does quantizing the notes help in Mixcraft 5?

Greg
Threeleggedyoyo

I did not know about the upgrade option! That is much more reasonable. Sorry if I sounded surly. I will give it a try with Mixcraft 6 and let you know if that solves the problem.

I'm having problems with the upgrade thing though. How does it work?

On the link you provide, I enter in my email, and it lets me know that I have licenses for versions 3-5 and sends the same information to my email. But it doesn't say anything about an upgrade...?

I tried this a while back when I saw the "you may be entitled to an upgrade" thing, but when this happened I assumed it was full price or bust.
Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

It only costs $20 to upgrade from Mixcraft 5 to Mixcraft 6. It's not like you have to pay the full price again.

We're not going to be making any changes to Mixcraft 5. Mixcraft 5.1 build 152 was the last update.

Give it a try in Mixcraft 6 and see how it works, or stick with Mixcraft 5 and work around it. Does quantizing the notes help in Mixcraft 5?

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Read a little further in your Mixcraft 5 registration email for the upgrade offer.

Greg
Threeleggedyoyo

Got it. Thanks a bunch. Very helpful. Sorry I missed it! :oops:

I'll do some more testing with the bug and let you know how things go. The upgrade deal sounds quite good to me now so that will probably take care of it. :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

One more thing: your Mixcraft 5 projects may exhibit the same problem in Mixcraft 6, but once you get the the notes placed correctly, it won't happen any more with new notes.

Greg