Lagging and skipping

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

vmhoang

Lagging and skipping

Post by vmhoang »

Hi,

I just upgraded to a Roland Octa-Capture Audio Interface for a recent project that needs 8 pre-amps. The Octa-Caputure is so much cleaner than my previous Focusrite Scatlett 18i6.

I do have the same problem! It's very frustrating. Without anything else running and no effect, and have a piano track and a string bass soloing so I can recording another instrument, Mixcraft keep lagging and skipping (the audio and the moving cursor on the screen while recording). CPU is around 30%. This also happen while playback. All of my recorded tracks are 48kHz 24-bit. None at them has duration longer than 5min.

Then I gave the trial version of Sonar X1 Producer a try to see if it's my computer or audio interface using all of the same tracks mentioned above and surprising not lagging and skipping at all.

For both cases using Mixcraft and Sonar, my preference was set to 1024 samples. I also increased to 2048 samples and Mixcraft still lagging and skipping while Sonar did not.
vmhoang

Re: How to fix skipping during recording/playback in Mixcraf

Post by vmhoang »

One more comment:

If just recording straight (8-track) with no other track playing at the same time, then no problems. The problem is when trying to record more instrument to the recorded track already or playback with alot of tracks (less than 12 tracks, that's max. I have for any project).
Acoustica Greg

Re: Lagging and skipping

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using ASIO mode? Make sure you've got the latest updated audio driver for the Octa-Capture.

Greg
vmhoang

Post by vmhoang »

Hi Greg,

I have the latest driver, OCTA-CAPTURE USB Driver Windows v1.5.1, and also updated the unit to the latest software version, OCTA-CAPTURE System Update Version 1.51.

This has been going on well before using this unit. I usually avoid trying to record or add more instrument over what were recorded because it lags and skipping making it pretty hard be in sync.

I didn't say anything about this because no one says anything about it and thought it must be my computer. I did gave Sonar X1 Producer trial version a try and no problem at all.
vmhoang

Post by vmhoang »

Also,

If you have one or two or maybe three recorded tracks (full length for each from beginning to end of the project) and try to record over it or playback, there's no problem.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Reproduce the problem, then quit Mixcraft immediately and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file, which is located in this folder:

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft

Another way to find it is to click on the Windows Start Menu, select All Programs, then Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (or 5) and finally Logs. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Here's a short video: Mixcraft Mini-Tip: How To Find Your Mixcraft Log File

Greg
vmhoang

Post by vmhoang »

Hi Greg,

I was about to send in the log file, but found out what were wrong with the recording and playback's lagging and skipping.

1. Lagging and skipping during recording:
I didn't realize that effects on the main project were still checked. I unchecked all effects on each track, but forgot to uncheck on main project's effect. As a result, the audio that was being recorded was also being processed at the same time; therefore, causing the entire project to lag and skip.

2. Laggin and skipping during playback:
I have 12 tracks, each has its own effects during mixings. All are at 48kHz 24-bit. Instead of mix-down to a single stereo track for mastering (using Eric advice on one of previous posts), add the final mastering effects to the main project. As a result, so many things are happening at once causing it to lag and skip during playback. When unchecked all effects in the main project, there are still visual lagging on the screen but nothing on the playback audio.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post the solutions you found!

For future reference, certain effects (like the Pultronic Tube Amp) demand much more CPU time. Take note of which effects are too demanding and use them sparingly, or put them on the master track or a send track so they are loaded just once instead of multiple times.

If you do run into problems again, you can also try playing with the "Limit drawing..." setting in the Display preferences. That will put less demands on your video display.

Greg

vmhoang

Post by vmhoang »

Thanks Greg!