vst extraboy

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

pk

vst extraboy

Post by pk » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Hello!!
okay I have been hearing so many ideas about USING vst extraboy. I tried so hard for to get rid off vocal but for some reason It keeps on breaking more frequently. somestimes I can hear the vocal very low & happy with better result but music is breaking off & i can 't hear anything for a 30 second etc. I am trying to take off the vocal & record with my own vocal from the orginal song.
ANY IDEA?????? plzzzzzzzzzzz
THANKS

EL34

Post by EL34 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:10 pm

I think removing vocals is one of those things that sounds good on paper but just doesn't work that well.

I have never used extra boy but I have read many post that say it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Vocals are mixed into the same freq's of the instruments and so there is no way to pick out just the vocals unless the vocals are ina part of the spectrum that nothing else occupies.

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:19 am

Hi,

Yes, we can't guarantee that Extra Boy will be able to remove the vocals from every song. It depends on how the song was mixed. Try it on a variety of different songs, and you may find one that works.

Once the vocals are mixed in with the instruments, it's a very difficult technical proposition to take them back out again.

Greg

KD

Post by KD » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:51 am

It's because some frequencies of the vocals and of the instrumental are overlapping...it's the same as trying to extract all salt out of a soup...you cant get salt only and if you removed all the salt, you still got some of your soup with the salt...

if you take a look at a frequency chart you can see that you're cutting frequencies which are also used by many instruments...

FrequencyChart

d

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:40 am

Wow, thanks for posting that chart! That's very helpful.

Actually, though, the chart makes it seem like vocal removal could never work, but it does work in some cases. In older songs, the vocalist is often in the center with the instruments on the left and right channels. If that's the case, the software can remove the vocals without wiping out too many (or any) of the instruments' frequencies.