Is it possible to put a limiter on the recording side?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jpmusic

Is it possible to put a limiter on the recording side?

Post by jpmusic »

When recording INTO MixCraft, is it possible to put a limiter on it so that I never "peak out" and get the distortion on the original recording?

I'm cool with using a limiter effect once I have it IN MixCraft, but wanting to avoid the peaks that I'm getting from time to time.

Mostly I do recorded interviews, podcasting and my information products.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Not in Mixcraft 2, which doesn't support realtime effects.

In regard to Mixcraft 3, direct your feedback/questions to the beta team.

Greg
The Geez

Post by The Geez »

Not being sure how Mixcraft 3 handles recording effects, the best I can offer is to suggest using a third-party limiter between your source and the soundcard input.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes, as the Geez says, I use a hardware compressor/limiter between my mic and the pc. It works great.
Billkruse

Re: re

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Yes, as the Geez says, I use a hardware compressor/limiter between my mic and the pc. It works great.
You do that in preference to using one as an effect after recording? I'm looking at peaks and troughs in my recorded vocal performance that are unacceptable. I'm wondering whether I should learn to use limiting after the event, as it were, which potentially means problems if I screw up the effect and then can't undo it, or to use a hardware version inline between my Tascam vocal tweaker, which I mike into, and the M-Audio USb unit I record into. Which I imagine will have problems also. What's the best bet, please, anyone?

BB
The Geez

Post by The Geez »

Billkruse wrote:You do that in preference to using one as an effect after recording?
I can't speak for Eric, but I prefer to use the built-in Mixcraft compressor/limiter either as a master effect or for a specific channel.
Billkruse wrote:. . . I'm wondering whether I should learn to use limiting after the event, as it were, which potentially means problems if I screw up the effect and then can't undo it . . .
If you save your current project as another filename (save mix.mxc >> mix001.mxc) you'll never lose your "starting point" if you do happen to screw up and can't undo. The argument is that you will end up with several mix project files that are unused versions, but these are easily cleaned from your folder since it's typically the highest "numbered" mix file that is the best.

Best regards!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Actually, I use both. I run the mic to a hardware compressor/limiter to get as smooth a signal as possible into Mixcraft.Then I run Anwida's compression plug-in to smooth it out the rest of the way.
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Actually, I use both. I run the mic to a hardware compressor/limiter to get as smooth a signal as possible into Mixcraft.Then I run Anwida's compression plug-in to smooth it out the rest of the way.
Well I just got me an ART Studio 3 preamp and a Really Nice Compressor. So when I've got things sounding ok with them then I'll probably be passing things over to you to mix. It looks like I'm stuck with you for mixing unless Mixcraft 3 enables me to export individual tracks (lead vocal track, bass guitar track etc.) in their entirety from the very beginning of the tune instead of when they each individually come in.
And while I'm aware the obvious answer is to mix it myself; sure, I can have a go but mixing in the same environment as I record in is a ba-a-a-d idea. So is using the same pair of ears to do both.

BB
Gman

Post by Gman »

Billkruse wrote: It looks like I'm stuck with you for mixing...
You make this sound very negative. I have done live sound on tour on the road, mixed in the studio and colaborated as an engineer on quite a few projects. I have found Eric to have a very good ear, good skills, very open to all genres and of course at the expert level with Mixcraft. His rates are reasonable and his response is quick. You could do a whole lot worse in many ways and pay a whole lot more with another studio/person doing your mastering and not get what Eric will provide to you. He will bend over backwards to get a master you are happy with and will not be satisfied until you are. Also, you still have the master files and don't have to accept his master if you don't like it.
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

Gman wrote:
Billkruse wrote: It looks like I'm stuck with you for mixing...
You make this sound very negative.

<snip>

bend over backwards to get a master you are happy with and will not be satisfied until you are. Also, you still have the master files and don't have to accept his master if you don't like it.
I said, mixing.
Not mastering.
Mixing. :P
Why I'm a bit glum about it is because by usng Mixcraft I seem to have trapped myself into having to use someone else who has Mixcraft to do the mixing. I hadn't realised I was cutting down my options so much.

BB
Gman

Post by Gman »

Mixing vs. mastering... Sorry, I mis-understood. I fine line to some, but hugely different for others if they are wanting individual track levels/effects decided and placed in the mix.

I think you may find this problem with almost any software as each engineer/studio will have their favorites. There are some mutli-track formats that are interchangable between different software packages, but the software packages that can manipulate them tend to be on the higher $$$ end of things.

Although there is the option of starting every track (ie .wav file) from the very beginning of the song, then every file is synched from the beginning. Then, any studio/engineer should be able to work with your mix. (I do understand how inconvienient that is though.)
Last edited by Gman on Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

1st, thanks GMAN for such kind words :-)

2nd, having used mixcraft is not a bad thing. You have found your way into a community of users who will help you out for minimal cost if not for free.

You can send me your first song and the accompanying files and I will mix it for free. If you like it, hire me, if not then that's ok too.

Go here to send http://www.demondigital.com/mastering.php

I know the page refers to mastering, but you can send the mixcraft project file and all needed waves in one zip and I will mix them for you.
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

Gman wrote:Although there is the option of starting every track (ie .wav file) from the very beginning of the song, then every file is synched from the beginning. Then, any studio/engineer should be able to work with your mix. (I do understand how inconvienient that is though.)
Especially when you only work it out afterwards. :(

BB
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote: You can send me your first song and the accompanying files and I will mix it for free. If you like it, hire me, if not then that's ok too.

Go here to send http://www.demondigital.com/mastering.php

I know the page refers to mastering, but you can send the mixcraft project file and all needed waves in one zip and I will mix them for you.
That's very generous of you, Eric, |I'll probably take you up on that when the time comes. I'm battling with the technicalities of getting my voice recorded at the moment! :roll:

BB
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

No problem, just let me know when you need help.