Is it possible to put a limiter on the recording side?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Billkruse

Re: re

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote:No problem, just let me know when you need help.
You'd need a winrar file with the directory structure maintained, yes?

BB
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

rar, zip, whatever, doesn't matter. Structure does not have to be preserved but it would probably help you once I return the files.
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote:rar, zip, whatever, doesn't matter. Structure does not have to be preserved but it would probably help you once I return the files.
How come directory structure doesn't have to be preserved? Doesn't the project file refer to the various wav files in their various directories? Also, I thought rars were preferred due to their lossless compression?

BB
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

if the directory structure is not preserved, the project (when opened) will ask me where the file name.wav is, i will simply point it to the folder i unzipped.

As far as lossless compression, as far as I know, any compressed file gets put back into it's original form when unzipped. I could be wrong though. Send it however you like. But please use the yousendit link on my site at http://www.demondigital.com/mastering.php
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote:if the directory structure is not preserved, the project (when opened) will ask me where the file name.wav is, i will simply point it to the folder i unzipped.
If I change the name of a recorded file by opening its properties in Mixcraft and changing it, that change isn't reflected by what appears in the default Mixcraft directory. Is this normal? If I have a file called track2.wav and I change it to be called harmonyvocs.wav it then appears as that name in Mixcraft but no file of that name appears in the Mixcraft default directory, which seems odd.

Also, it's a pain, as I belatedly realise that all the files I scrapped for whatever reason by cutting them are still all in there too! And they're called track5(1).wav, track5(2).wav etc. Jeez, memo to self, 'delete' files you want to discard, don't 'cut' them! I have to go through each one individually now to work out what they are, otherwise I'll be sending you this gargantuan zip :-(

BB
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes this is normal. Changing the file name within Mixcraft is only a reference, it does not change the actual file name.

Mixcraft 3 automatically deletes unused files per project each time you save and close it :-)
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Yes this is normal. Changing the file name within Mixcraft is only a reference, it does not change the actual file name.

Mixcraft 3 automatically deletes unused files per project each time you save and close it :-)
When I've got this one sorted I'm going to upgrade anyway. OK, I'm nearly sorted, be the next couple of days.

BB
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Sounds good, talk to you soon :-)
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Sounds good, talk to you soon :-)
I tried to send a zip - 560+ meg - and upgraded and it still wouldn't go through quickly so I'll have to strip more unused files out to shrink the zip. Sigh. It said it would take 27:60 hours to upload, a nonsense figure, which I suppose means I overloaded it somehow. Sigh again :-)

BB
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes, that is too big. Make sure to only send the project file and any waves that are needed.
560MB is like trying to email an entire cd worth of data.
Billkruse

Post by Billkruse »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Yes, that is too big. Make sure to only send the project file and any waves that are needed.
560MB is like trying to email an entire cd worth of data.
I got it down to 388 meg and again the screen froze in sending but it actually went ok, the screen cleared eventually. I put a lot into my songs, hence the size! Plus I sent an Mp3 and a text explanation file as guides. Or maybe I'm doing something dumb again. No matter, I can stand to be told if you can stand to tell me! :-)

BB