Transfer Files from ZOOM R16

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Studio 919

Transfer Files from ZOOM R16

Post by Studio 919 »

Two days ago I purchased MC6 Pro Studio. So far I have not recorded anything; I'm just getting more familiar with it. I do have one question so far.

I use a ZOOM R16 as my interface/control surface. I currently have a few songs recorded to the SD card and I am trying to transfer them to MC6. In so doing, I made sure (at least I think I did) to follow the instruction in the R16 manual. When I drag and drop the .wav files into MC I do see them in the MC project, but, when I try to play them I get an error saying it cannot locate the sounds on any of the tracks. It goes through a search but still does not find them. I feel sure I'm missing something simple but cannot figure out just what it is.

I would greatly appreciate if some of the ZOOM R16 users give me a procedure for transferring files from the SD card into MC so that I can mix them. (I am at work right so any advise/instruction will be tried out tonight).

Thanks in advance.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: Transfer Files from ZOOM R16

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Move or copy the audio files from the zoom sd card to your computer hard drive, then pull them into mixcraft from the new location.
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Thanks for the response Eric. Here's what I just tried.

1. With the ZOOM R16 in Card Reader mode, I copied the 4 .wav files to my desktop.
2. Then, I changed the R16 to Interface mode and booted MC6.
3. In MC, I created a new project.
4. I pulled the 4 .wav files into my new project from the desktop.
5. I then saved the project.
At this point I was able to play, edit, and otherwise mess around with the new project.

Here's another question.
After doing the above, I shut down MC.
Then, I went to my desktop and deleted the 4 .wav files.
I re-booted MC and opened the same project. The system did a search and was not able to locate the sound files.
So, does this mean that each time I transfer .wav files from the R16 in to MC that I will need to leave all files on my desktop? It seems to me that once the project was saved with the previously transferred .wav files that I could delete them from the desktop simply because they are now saved as part of the project. Am I missing something?

Again, thanks for the timely response.

SoundSquire

Post by SoundSquire »

Yes you will need to leave the files in place. The .mx6 file only references the location. :)
All the best,
Sam

SoundCloud
Mixcraft Live
YouTube
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Thanks for the response, Soundsquire.

If I understand you correctly, the .wav file is not a part of the MC project. Instead, the "location of the .wav" is part of the project. Seems to me like it would be better if the actual .wav file was made part of the project. That way the .wav file is actually located where it needs to be; with the project. I'm sure there must be some technical reason behind it. :shock:

I was really hoping that they would be part of the project so that I could delete them from my desktop. Reason being, I used the R16 to record my mother playing some of her favorite Christmas songs and ended up with 23 songs recorded. Now, in order to transfer them to MC I will have to keep them somewhere on my hard drive. I guess it would be better for me to create a new file on my hard drive and keep them there instead of on the desktop. (This would keep my desktop from getting cluttered).

BTW, looks like you're right up the road from me. I'm in middle Georgia.

Thanks again.

vmhoang

Post by vmhoang »

Hi,

You can drag/drop wav or mp3 files from anywhere on you machine. When you save the project, use save to folder instead of just the save option. Then all you wav or mp3 file will be saved into the same folder as your project.
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

vmhoang wrote:Then all you wav or mp3 file will be saved into the same folder as your project.
Thanks for the reply vmhoang.

Will I still have to keep the transferred .wav files on my hard drive? Or, can I delete them since they are now saved into the same folder as the project?

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

In one way or another, the audio files need to be present. You can either do as the previous post mentioned and use the "copy project files to" function, or simply move the files from the zoom, into a project folder and then import them into mixcraft. Leave them there after that.
vmhoang

Post by vmhoang »

Hi,

That's what I meant: "Copy Project Files to" (to a folder or zip file) option, not "save to folder" option, just as Eric posted. After you have all you audio files where you like them to be (the files need to be at the same location for Mixcraft to locate them), then you can just use the "save" option to save your project instead of keep using the "Copy Project Files to" option.
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Eric,

It sounds like that's what I'm wanting to accomplish. I'll give it a try and look at the outcome.

vmhoang,

Thanks for the clarification. This sounds like its exactly what I want to accomplish.

Thanks again for the replies.

Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

vmhoang wrote:Hi,

That's what I meant: "Copy Project Files to" (to a folder or zip file) option, not "save to folder" option, just as Eric posted. After you have all you audio files where you like them to be (the files need to be at the same location for Mixcraft to locate them), then you can just use the "save" option to save your project instead of keep using the "Copy Project Files to" option.
Okay, I have tried this and it does just what I was hoping it would do. In other words, I can import project files from the ZOOM R16 SD card into MC6, have everything in one location, without cluttering up my desktop. Yippeeee!!!!!

Thanks again for the assistance.

vmhoang

Post by vmhoang »

That's great to hear. Have a good day!